Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SCSI card for Dim4600, XP and Umax scanner

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 9:00:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive card so that I can use my Vist
S-12 scanner with this PC? The old SCSI card will not fit the PCI
slot, of course and I'd rather not get a new scanner, if possible.

First hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

Kal
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 1:27:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Any Adaptec 2900-series SCSI PCI card with an external 50-pin miniSCSI or 25-pin
SCSI connector will do. I recently set up an older Epson SCSI scanner in a Dell
Precision 380 system, using an Adaptec 2906. Make sure that UMax has Windows XP
drivers for the Vista S-12 before you buy the SCSI card... Ben Myers

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:00:12 -0400, Kalman Rubinson <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend an inexpensive card so that I can use my Vist
>S-12 scanner with this PC? The old SCSI card will not fit the PCI
>slot, of course and I'd rather not get a new scanner, if possible.
>
>First hand experience would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Kal
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 1:27:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:27:45 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>Any Adaptec 2900-series SCSI PCI card with an external 50-pin miniSCSI or 25-pin
>SCSI connector will do. I recently set up an older Epson SCSI scanner in a Dell
>Precision 380 system, using an Adaptec 2906. Make sure that UMax has Windows XP
>drivers for the Vista S-12 before you buy the SCSI card... Ben Myers

Thanks. I will take a look. There is no driver, per se, for
NT/2000/XP but there is a program that will run it and I have
confirmed that it works under 2000Pro.

Kal
Related resources
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 1:34:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Kal,

Before you spend the money, price out a new scanner. They are dirt cheap
and I can't imagine the investment in a SCSI card is worth the hassle.

Tom
"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
news:5bloj1tk9463o5rla0gsssc5ld0glg7deh@4ax.com...
> Can anyone recommend an inexpensive card so that I can use my Vist
> S-12 scanner with this PC? The old SCSI card will not fit the PCI
> slot, of course and I'd rather not get a new scanner, if possible.
>
> First hand experience would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kal
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 1:34:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:34:45 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Kal,
>
>Before you spend the money, price out a new scanner. They are dirt cheap
>and I can't imagine the investment in a SCSI card is worth the hassle.

You may be right but that is a new investigation while the old
scanner, which does transparencies up to 8.5x11, works fine.

Kal
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 3:10:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I forgot to mention that you may need another external SCSI cable, depending on
which SCSI card you get. I would guess that the old ISA bus SCSI card you have
there has a 25-pin external connector... Ben Myers

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:10:58 -0400, Kalman Rubinson <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:27:45 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
>(Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>Any Adaptec 2900-series SCSI PCI card with an external 50-pin miniSCSI or 25-pin
>>SCSI connector will do. I recently set up an older Epson SCSI scanner in a Dell
>>Precision 380 system, using an Adaptec 2906. Make sure that UMax has Windows XP
>>drivers for the Vista S-12 before you buy the SCSI card... Ben Myers
>
>Thanks. I will take a look. There is no driver, per se, for
>NT/2000/XP but there is a program that will run it and I have
>confirmed that it works under 2000Pro.
>
>Kal
>
>
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 3:12:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Let me say in defense of older SCSI scanners that SCSI cards and cables are also
dirt cheap and if the SCSI scanner does the job, it is probably much more
sturdily built than the newer scanners. Support and drivers for the Adaptec
2900-series cards are built into XP and 2000... Ben Myers

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:34:45 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>Kal,
>
>Before you spend the money, price out a new scanner. They are dirt cheap
>and I can't imagine the investment in a SCSI card is worth the hassle.
>
>Tom
>"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
>news:5bloj1tk9463o5rla0gsssc5ld0glg7deh@4ax.com...
>> Can anyone recommend an inexpensive card so that I can use my Vist
>> S-12 scanner with this PC? The old SCSI card will not fit the PCI
>> slot, of course and I'd rather not get a new scanner, if possible.
>>
>> First hand experience would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Kal
>
>
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 3:12:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:12:35 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>Let me say in defense of older SCSI scanners that SCSI cards and cables are also
>dirt cheap and if the SCSI scanner does the job, it is probably much more
>sturdily built than the newer scanners. Support and drivers for the Adaptec
>2900-series cards are built into XP and 2000... Ben Myers

Thanks. That's what I figured, too. I can get a reburbished Adaptec
SCSI/PCI for under $30.

Kal


>
>On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:34:45 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>
>>Kal,
>>
>>Before you spend the money, price out a new scanner. They are dirt cheap
>>and I can't imagine the investment in a SCSI card is worth the hassle.
>>
>>Tom
>>"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
>>news:5bloj1tk9463o5rla0gsssc5ld0glg7deh@4ax.com...
>>> Can anyone recommend an inexpensive card so that I can use my Vist
>>> S-12 scanner with this PC? The old SCSI card will not fit the PCI
>>> slot, of course and I'd rather not get a new scanner, if possible.
>>>
>>> First hand experience would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Kal
>>
>>
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 4:08:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
news:9hpoj1d0ssfoj2sim01dcb0n3aq2dqdauc@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:27:45 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
> (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>Any Adaptec 2900-series SCSI PCI card with an external 50-pin miniSCSI or
>>25-pin
>>SCSI connector will do. I recently set up an older Epson SCSI scanner in
>>a Dell
>>Precision 380 system, using an Adaptec 2906. Make sure that UMax has
>>Windows XP
>>drivers for the Vista S-12 before you buy the SCSI card... Ben Myers
>
> Thanks. I will take a look. There is no driver, per se, for
> NT/2000/XP but there is a program that will run it and I have
> confirmed that it works under 2000Pro.
>
> Kal
>
>


You may already be speaking of it, but check out Vuescan. Amazing scanning
software
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 4:08:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:08:55 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>
>"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
>> Thanks. I will take a look. There is no driver, per se, for
>> NT/2000/XP but there is a program that will run it and I have
>> confirmed that it works under 2000Pro.

>You may already be speaking of it, but check out Vuescan. Amazing scanning
>software

Nope but I will look into it. Thanks.

Kal
!