Mandrake Boot Virus

QuinRiva

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2004
When I boot my computer it comes up with a text booter (even though I selected the LILO (graphical interface) as my default boot program). When I type in linux and press enter it comes up with the error "Boot virus detected" if I press "c" for continue and then "y" it loads Madrake 10.0 without any hassles. The annoying thing is that I can't set it to auto boot into WindowsXP (or linux for that matter). From within the the boot options I have set the default system to boot as Windows and set the boot delay as 4 secs.
Can anyone tell me how I can get rid of this boot virus error and additionally how I can set it up to use a graphical boot loader. BTW changing my boot loader from LILO to GRUB had no effect.
Cheers.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You'll probably have to do an

fdisk /mbr

which will wipe your mbr. If that doesn't work, you'll have to get a virus scanning program which will be able to clear it for you. After it's gone, you'll have to just reboot from the mandrake cd and skip ahead to the install bootloader section where you can set up your choices again. It should work.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
silverpig...you rock. Just thought I'd let you know that. Your thinking is so similar to mine...but that's what happens when you think correctly I guess :p

If I ever made my own linux distro...I'd want you to join the team. :)

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS

Sarissi

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
You are probably booting into the Enterprise kernel, which is Always a text boot screen. Note that 1 GB RAM or more defaults you to the Enterprise kernel. It is NOT a virus!! I have been using Mandrake Linux Powerpack Edition since version 7.0, though I skipped 9.2. The standard kernel only sees a maximum of 896 MB RAM.

It is not that big a deal. I was a bit annoyed at first, but got used to it easily enough. Just let it boot and X will be started and you will be all set. Of course, since you are using the 10.0 CE, you may have to install video driver if you have an NVIDIA or ATI card.

If you want help with Mandrake or other distros, check out www.mandrakeusers.org

Mandrake Linux User (Windows too). I build PCs, one part at a time. {grin}

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You can always recompile your kernel to include highmem support. Whenever I forget to do that, my 1 GB comes up as 896 MB, but when I enable highmem(4GB) it all shows up correctly.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr

QuinRiva

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2004
I initially installed Mandrake 9.1 and it said I had the same virus issue. I wiped both my windows and Linux harddrives and then reinstalled WindowsXP and Mandrake 10.0 CE however the boot virus issue was still there. I do have 1GB (2x512MB) of Corsair TwinX 3200 XMS Pro RAM, and when I opened the Boot options from within KDE it did state that I had the linux-enterprise edition set as my default. However I changed that (I think) to WindowsXP. As I am a complete Newb to Linux how difficult would if be to recompile my server to support high memory (1GB). And how do I go about getting rid of the initial text login based on this new information?

TRENDING THREADS