FSB multiplier confusion concerning KT333

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
i'm just confused about how the higher FSB of the KT333 fits in with the processor, because i know that athlons still only support 266 mhz, so how is it possible to have a fsb of 333 mhz without overclocking the processor unless the multiplier is decreased. To my knowledge axp's are locked so that means you can't touch the multiplier right, so am i right in saying to get the fsb up to 166/333 mhz i have to overclock the processor as well?

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Your Front Side Bus is the connection of your entire computer through your motherboard.

Your multiplier factor has to do with your processor. If you up the multiplier factor you are overclocking your processor (I would not recommend overcloking AMD processors, they heat up like crazy compared to Intels).

If you up the FSB, you are overclocking your motherboard, so to speak (like your AGP bus to CPU, and PCI host bridge). Memory controller, SouthBridge to NorthBridge link, etc....

I'm not sure exactly how it works. I believe the KT333 will support asynchronous overclocking. If you overclock your FSB, not only do you have to worry about heat, but your system will be less stable.

-----

Benchmarks don't lie :)

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
i have a 1.4 ghz athlon now on a asus a7m266 and from my experience upping the fsb overclocks the processor significantly. For example my multiplier is set at 10.5 and fsb at 133 so that's 10.5 * 133 = 1396.5 mhz Now with the KT333 the fsb is stock at 33 mhz higher at 166, but i think that each athlon automatically sets it's own multiplyer so assuming that than the speed would be 10.5 x 166 = 1743 mhz which is far from a stable overclock from 1.4 ghz. I'm thinking that the multiplyer must be set lower than normal in order to overclock the memory at the higher fsb. My question is to whether or not this is actually possible since i know axps are locked. But does a locked axp mean you can't lower the multiplier or only raise it?

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The KT333 motherboards can run the memory clock asyncronous to the fsb. in onther words the fsb is still 133 ddr=266 but the memory clock is 166 ddr ~333.
Steve.

Beam me up Scotty.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If I remember right unless you unlock the athlon you can only lower the multiplier
You can't lower its multiplier either! It's locked.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
I've tried to lower the multiplier to my 1800+ and my computer won't boot, period. I have to cut the power core about 5 times, or reset my CMOS.

FSB has to do with your entire computer. You processor will be clocked faster if you raise it, yes.

If you want to overclock your FSB, you have to set your processor speed to custom. You can also adjust the FSB, AGP, PCI ratio from there, and your CPU voltage and whether the computer will try to reset if there is an error.

You can raise your multiplier factor without touching your FSB.

I haven't tried raising the multiplier. If you do that with an Athlon pro you'll likely fry it if you leave your comp on more than 5 minutes.

My multiplier is what it should be for the 1800+, 11.5 I have overclocked my FSB by a mere 2 megahertz (from 133 to 135MHz)

-----

Benchmarks don't lie :)

Kaliman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001
ok, but the whole idea of the kt333 chipset is that the FSB is now running at 166 mhz as opposed to 133 mhz. Now assuming the FSB is attatched to everything in the computer, and you don't touch the proc multiplier, the processor would absolutely fry, unless a) the multiplier is lowered to compnesate for this increased frequency or b) the processor's fsb is independent of the fsb of the chipset and the ram. So which is it???

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey K,

The KT333 the FSB is 133 mhz.

The Memory bus can be set higher to utilize faster DDR. The CPU runs at 100 or 133 by default, you can set it to run higher, this is the FSB that you are talking about.

In the KT333, there is a option to run the Memory bus at +33 mhz, this will not over-clock the PCI, AGP or CPU, just the DDR. In most systems, yes the FSB is the bus for everything. The KT333 does not change the CPU Multiplier, only the Memory bus. Again the FSB is still 133 mhz, not 166. The Athlon's still only support a 133 FSB, and really cannot make good use of PC2700 DDR's extra bandwidth, so you will not see a big performance gain, until AMD makes a CPU that does support a 166+ FSB, not just Memory bus.

The "Whole Idea" of the KT333, is it is easier to over-clock the FSB. Running a default speeds, there is not a much gain over the KT266A. The KT333 is a chipset for OC'ers & people who want USB 2.0 built on the board(if you need it, it is just as easy to just install a USB 2.0 PCI Card).

Of course, you should not take anyone's word for it, & you should read more real reviews & less community posts on this subject of the KT333 FSB............If I was me, I wouldn't believe me, so why should you?

Peace Out.................tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Just Re-affirming what tilepusher said, I actually own an Asus A7V333 mobo, and it allows you to set the RATIO of [System FSB]:[RAM FSB] from a choice of 1:1 (i.e. 266 DDR all round) OR 4:5, meaning the ram runs at 125% the speed of the system FSB (166 if system FSB is 133, more if it's overclocked slightly)

I hope that makes sense and isn't nonsensical waffle. :wink:

<font color=blue><i>Your</i> PC may be quieter, but <i>my</i> PC makes a better hairdryer!</font color=blue>