Creating a new users desktop

I have WINDOWS XP and I want to add one other name to
it ... so that when it boots up and the sign-on screen
appears it will allow this other person to sign on to get
to his OWN desktop.

But when I created this "other" desktop, the desktop had
on it many of the desktop items I have on my own desktop.

Question: What do I do to have ONLY certain items on
that "other" desk top? Can I just DELETE those items
(icons) that automatically were posted when I created it
and leave the ones I want ... and add others? If I do
delete some of those icons, will it ALSO delete those
same icons on MY desktop (I hope not).

I just need to know how all this works. I'm not too
computer-smart.

Thank you so much.
Bob Ward

On Tue, 11 May 2004 05:17:37 -0700, Bob Ward wrote:

> I have WINDOWS XP and I want to add one other name to
> it ... so that when it boots up and the sign-on screen
> appears it will allow this other person to sign on to get
> to his OWN desktop.
>
> But when I created this "other" desktop, the desktop had
> on it many of the desktop items I have on my own desktop.
>
> Question: What do I do to have ONLY certain items on
> that "other" desk top? Can I just DELETE those items
> (icons) that automatically were posted when I created it
> and leave the ones I want ... and add others? If I do
> delete some of those icons, will it ALSO delete those
> same icons on MY desktop (I hope not).
>
> I just need to know how all this works. I'm not too
> computer-smart.
>
> Thank you so much.
> Bob Ward

Sources for any user account: Default User (only used once on the creation
of the account), All Users and the user's personal folders.

"Default User" is the template for a new account. Some duplicates will show
up from this source but they will be basic XP items.

Next, items from "All Users" are added. If there start menu and desktop
items in this account that you do *not* want to appear for a new user, copy
them to your account. Then delete the originals from the All Users folders.

When installing software, you may see an option to "install for all users"
or "install for this account only." What you choose here decides how the
program sets up. Not all software offers this option but have been seeing
it more often now that XP has been around for a while.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User