My Firewall makes me invisible on my Network

QuinRiva

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2004
I am useing Sygate SPF 5.5 as my firewall because I am on a college network that has more viruses than you can poke a stick at (most people on the network are pretty computer illiterate). Somehow the server has denied access to browsing the network through Network Neighbourhood. You can see all the workgroups, however if you try to open any of them it says that you do not have access privalleges.
If you know the IP of the computer you're looking for you can type that in the address bar and it will have no problem finding it so that you can browse their shared files. Most people are useing a third party file sharing program such as Sharescan 2.
This works fine however no-one can see my computer on the network. If they ping my IP they get a reply only if I set up Sygate to "Allow this traffic" for the IP address under advanced rules; however they still can't see me on the network and if they type in my IP in the address bar it says it can't find the computer.
Can anyone help?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
thats the point of a firewall. if you use that sharing program you just need to find out what port it uses so you can allow it to traverse your firewall.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jihiggs on 03/29/04 09:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>