What brand of motherboard do you perfer?

GBR

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
I bought the Giga GA-7VRXP based on the Tomshardware.com review. This board runs great, and I like the features and the price. And it is an AMD approved motherboard for Athlon XP 1500XP -2100XP with WinXP.

I am running AMD approved power supply and memory. And I am starting to see that getting all AMD approved components is a smart move, for a stable and trouble free system.

These new VIA KT333 chipset boards do seem be a bit fussier about running Win XP and GeForce 4 graphics cards...especially the power hungry Ti400, Ti4400, Ti4600 N25 GPU cards.

Top quality AMD approved PC2700 or PC3000 DDR RAM and an AMD approved 400W + power supply....the latest revision board, BIOS, and drivers.... all may help to make system perform optimally.

Memory timing may have to tested, starting with less aggressive timings. Vcore , DDR, and AGP voltage may have to be raised in BIOS ,and tested.

The other good KT333 boards seem to be the ASUS, MSI, and EPOX... and the Soyo and Abit may be worth looking at.

My mobo list of products would be from Gigabyte, Asus, Epox, and MSI.

Power supply from Antec and Enermax.

DDR333 RAM would be Samsung original PX2700 and Corsair XMS PC3000.

GeForce4 card list of companies would be Gainward, MSI, Leadtek.

I am starting to believe that all these new products are fantastic value, and offer the best PC performance yet! But they are sometimes fussy, and there is a noticeable quality control issue/ defective product problem.

Whichever brand or system you go with , don't hesitate to test for defects. Don't waste time with a system that doesn't run well out of the box, or soon after...get RMA's and return it for a good board, RAM, or card.

http://www.newegg.com seems to be one of the higher quality top rated on line vendors.

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
Abit all the way, I am not to sure about Gigabyte though, they seem to have alot of problems.

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out? www.jxfiles.com

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
I personally like Abit and Tyan.

There are about 10 posts (at minimum that I have seen) on this board alone about people having trouble with gigabyte boards. For every good thing someone has to say about gigabyte, I usually hear at least 2 bad things.

-----

Benchmarks don't lie :)

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Yes, Abit supports AMD pros. We are talking about vendors here, not chipset makers. Think of it like this. Generic and brand name medicine.

Example. The chemical ingredient IbuProfen is used as a pain killer. The drug manufacturer sells this chemical to other companies. Then these companies make slight modifications to it, and sell it as their brand. So you wind up with Advil and Mortin IB. Supposedly 2 different drugs, but not really, just a wordly, political, marketing lie.

Advil may coat its Ibuprofen with a green, minty tasting flavor. Mortin IB may coat it with a red cinnamon tasting flavor. These are inactive ingredients.

Advil may make its tablets in 200 miligrams, and advise you to take only 1 tablet. Mortin IB may make its tablets in 100 miligrams, and advise you to take 2.

Where as Tylenol uses a totally different drug. So does Asprin.

It is kind of like that. It is all a big lie until you find out the truth behind it.

However, with motherboards (and other computer products), the changes are sometimes (or often times), significant, with vendors.

There are only a few base chipset manufacturers (which have true, and often big differences). So think of comparing a Rebok shoe to a Nike shoe. Maybe not too much difference.

Now think of comparing a Nike shoe to a sandal, soccer cleet, or army boot. There you can really see the difference in footware.

Abit does vendor chipsets that support AMD pros.

In reply to the last post. That's what I mentioned about Asus. Abit did a much better job than them with the 266A chipset.

-----

Benchmarks don't lie :)