Case's and P4's

Ragz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2002
I have a IWin server case which i believe has a 350 watt power supply and is atx compliant. What seperates a case from being P4 compliant? is it just the higher watt power supply? Because i believe all P4's are atx compliant if im not mistaken. Basically im trying to get my case ready for a p4 upgrade and wondering if i need to buy a new case or not.

Ragz

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
the case will be fine. The power supply is the issue. It needs an extra lead that sort of looks like the 20 pin mobo power lead, but just has 4 pins on it, arranged in a square.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
P4 PS got 2 extra plugs, one is what dude told you and the other looks like a floppy plug but a lot bigger (wider) and got more wires.

Just go to any store and ask for a P4 supply to see the plugs, or look at motherboards for P4 and you'll notice the extra connectors

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Many, if not all, powersupplies that are P4 compliant will have the normal set of plugs AND the extra connectors for the P4. That way you can use it with an AMD system in the future.

<font color=red>I have a computer and it does weird stuff. please help.</font color=red>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
are you talking about that other plug that sorta looks like an old AT power plug? What the heck is that for? The P4 mobos I've built haven't had anything on them that needed that.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I was wondering the same thing. The only time I've seen a plug like that used is on Dell proprietary motherboards. Wiat! NO! I have seen that plug used on a standard board-NLX boards use that connector to power the PCI riser card.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
My Abit TH7II-R uses all three connections:

the std. ATX ("ATXPR1", 20 pins, 2 rows)
the "AUXPWR" (six pins, inline)
and "ATX12V" (4 pins, 2 rows)

The ATX12V has 2x12V and 2xCOMmon
The "AUXPWR" has 2x3.3V, 1x5V and 3xCOMmon

My understanding is the additional 12V connections are to make sure the P4 doesn't get starved by the motherboard PS. Not sure I understand this since I wouldn't think the P4 would see any 12V. Maybe the extra pins actually just supply the fan headers, who knows. I assume the AUXPWR does something similar for the memory and/or AGP.

Like this board!

BW

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Yeah, look at <A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/abit/th7iiraid/th7iiraidp2.htm" target="_new">picture 2 and 4</A> to see the extra connectors up close.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>