ASUS A7V333 Shutting down on it's own

hexibot43

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
Ok, I am usually very good at figuring these things out but I am stumped with this one. I recently put together a new computer with Athlon 1800+, An Asus A7V333 motherboard, Raedon 8500DV Video Card, Corsair pc2100 256mb memory, SoundBlaster Live!, and Kingston 10/100 Ethernet card. I had a Soyo Dragon Plus Motherboard, which right after I installed a new 8000 rpm fan, and heatsink promptly popped a diode on the motherboard. I had inadvertly put the heatsink on backwards, and it wasn't touching the cpu. Ok, so I realized I would be smarter to just get a new motherboard. Now, if I push the system the computer shuts down. But the power led remains lit. I have to hold down the power switch to force a complete shutdown, and then I can restart. If I simple push the power switch the fans and all will come on but the system is in limbo. I have been watching the temperatures, and the cpu is at around 50C and the motherboard around 24C. I've been told this is ok. Is it? I have tried two different sticks of memory. Pulled the ethernet card out, and the sound card out. I have shut down the onboard usbs, the serial ports, the parallel port. And this motherboard has a lot of usb ports! I also killed the firewire on the motherboard.
I have a program called Toast that I found on an overclockers site for testing system integrity. I can run it on my 400mhz PII laptop. It brings it to an almost halt, but it continues to run. I have run it on all the computers we have at work without fault. But on this system you can see the image of the flames, and the system simply shuts down. I do a lot of video conversion, and capture. This is where I'm lucky if I can get 10 minutes of up time without it crashing.
Any ideas???

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hexibot43 on 06/10/02 01:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
A dodgy Power supply maybe?

try using something like motherboard monitor to check your voltages. if they fluctuate a lot then that might be the problem.

The limbo thing just sounds like it's getting stuck in 'hibernate' mode or something. I hate power saving features, as I've <i>never</i> known a desktop to be happy with restarting all the time - turn all the power saving features off in the bios, and see if that helps your shutdown/restarting problems.

As for the crashing, if your PSU is OK, try removing the SB Live! card and see how it is. I seem to remember someone saying that there are/were problems with this card and some VIA chipsets - just a thought.

HTH

<font color=blue><i>Your</i> PC may be quieter, but <i>my</i> PC makes a better hairdryer!</font color=blue>

hexibot43

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
Thanks for the reply. I had hoped more people had an idea what was going on.
It doesn't appear to be going into hiberate mode. It is like the motherboard is doing its overheat protect thingy or something like that. What is too hot? I have all the power saving features turned off. I never really liked any of them either. I have run the computer with both the soundblaster live, and the ethernet cards removed. Still the same thing.
Now the voltage thing? What is too much? And why only when I push the systems processing power? I had the included Asus monitoring program installed, but it was bringing my system to standstill. It was slowing everything down. So I removed it.
I did just run MaxPayne for 3 hours every feature turned on, without a hitch. hmmmmm.
Any other ideas or more on the voltages?

Marcello