Sign in with
Your question

Help with gaming resolutions.

Last response: in Video Games
August 6, 2006 3:24:54 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm having problems with finding supported resolutions for games, specifically with widescreen resolutions. I was looking at widescreen monitors with 1440x900 or 1680x1050 resolutions, do you know if either is more supported than the other? Or if I should just get a normal resolution monitor?

I will be playing World of Warcraft and Half Life2 and any other FPS I pick up along the way. Just would like to know what type of monitor would be best, as I really have gotten accustomed to my widescreen monitor because of my mac, but I need the PC for gaming.

Thanks,

Paul

More about : gaming resolutions

August 8, 2006 5:07:49 AM

I've got a 1440
i dont think it matters on the Max res. its more based on the ratio, if its anything but 4:3 or 16:10 then you might run into probs with nonstandard resolutions.

games that I'm sure are Widescreen
HL2 and all dirivitives
oblivion
GRAW

If you want a comprehensive list then check out
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com
its got a really good games list and most games that dont have support for widescreen it shows a workabout
August 10, 2006 1:45:06 PM

thing is that you can play 4:3 on a widescreen it just looks streched, which means taht gaming is not as enjoyable
Related resources
August 10, 2006 2:19:10 PM

I was talking about when the game doesnt support widescreen, i.e. you have a 16:10 (1440X900) but the game supports res of 4:3 (800X600 etc)
you can play it with a res. of 1024X768, but it will look streached, the maintain aspect ratio will add black bars, which some people dont like, its like watching 4:3 movie on a widescreen TV, sure you can but if you want it to have the correct aspect then you dont use like 30% of the screen. some people would prefer 'fat' streched people
August 10, 2006 4:07:15 PM

i was just clearing it for the thread starter
!