Which of these has teh most replayability, and is the most fun to play?

• AoE 3

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Rise of Legends

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hi, I am planing to buy a nwe game but i was not shoor which one is good, i was planing on geting one of these ones:

Age of Empires 3 ($50)

Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends ($50)

Command and conquer:Generals (deluxe edition, includes the Zero Hour expanssion) ($17)

i played the demo of the first 2 , i cant find a demo of the last on anywhere online at all, i was looking for a good online (also) game that would have nice replayability, my pc is an oldie and those games seam to work (atleast the demos did) does any one of YOu have any of these games, how is it, is it worth geting, i honestly liked and disliked the aoe3 demo, i liked the RON one but actualy got a bit bored of it after about 2 days, i would play only with 2 fractions in the full version the vinci, and quolt anyway , i didnt like the alim so much, i read nice reviews about cc generals, but i cant even find the demo online anywhere, i used to play ron, battle for middle earth1 , loved the game(but lately there are just no people online at all to play against), im planing to build a new system in January or so when the dx10 gpus will be out, curently i m using a radeon 7500AIW gpu, PIV 1.7 and 512 mb's of ram.

which of these games above is worth geting? maby there are some other games that are interesting that i missed

BomberBill

Splendid
Jan 20, 2005
Hi, I am planing to buy a nwe game but i was not shoor which one is good, i was planing on geting one of these ones:

Age of Empires 3 ($50)

Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends ($50)

Command and conquer:Generals (deluxe edition, includes the Zero Hour expanssion) ($17)

i played the demo of the first 2 , i cant find a demo of the last on anywhere online at all, i was looking for a good online (also) game that would have nice replayability, my pc is an oldie and those games seam to work (atleast the demos did) does any one of YOu have any of these games, how is it, is it worth geting, i honestly liked and disliked the aoe3 demo, i liked the RON one but actualy got a bit bored of it after about 2 days, i would play only with 2 fractions in the full version the vinci, and quolt anyway , i didnt like the alim so much, i read nice reviews about cc generals, but i cant even find the demo online anywhere, i used to play ron, battle for middle earth1 , loved the game(but lately there are just no people online at all to play against), im planing to build a new system in January or so when the dx10 gpus will be out, curently i m using a radeon 7500AIW gpu, PIV 1.7 and 512 mb's of ram.

which of these games above is worth geting? maby there are some other games that are interesting that i missed

Mate, if you haven't got it, Kohan 2 is an absolute must buy for any RTS fan. Superb online play and its at bargain basement prices now.

aj6065

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Here is the Generals Demo

It's a great buy for $17, especially with the expansion pack. I loved the single player missions.

As for the new ones, it really depends on which franchise you like better (past Age of Empires games, or Rise of Nations)

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
i was considering geting it but after i finaly found the demo and installed it i couldnt play it, the pc shuts down and restarts after the intro video ends, or even if i skip it it does the same thing.

zenkmander

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I've played both games and I prefer Rise of Legends. Age of Empires III was good and all, but it seemed too short and, uh, compact, I guess. Rise of Legends seems to have more things to choose from and 'build' than AoE. However, I believe AoE has slightly better graphics and destruction physics.

Colonel_Curly

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Shogun Total War FTW!

That and spore which shouldn't take much longer to be released

Rise of legends look alot more fun than AO3, which nobody has voted for :lol:

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Buy the gold edition of AoE2. Seriously.

The graphics obviously aren't as good, but - and it's a big but - the gameplay is great. It's still a big multiplayer game today. Plus, it'll be dirt cheap, and even an old PC will be able to run it well.

If you really can't abide the old-school graphics, then try the slightly-newer Age of Mythology. I quite enjoyed it - but (BUT) don't install the expansion pack right way. Most people prefered AoM before the Titans add-on because it buggers up the gameplay balance. Try the basic game by itself first.

AoE3 isn't worth it (judging by the demo only). Looks great, but I couldn't justify spending £35 on it when other RTS's do such a good job for less cash and system resources.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
i agrie, i actualy went to get aoe2 right after it was released, ok maby a bit later when it came out with the gold edition with the expancion, i also have age of mythology, and the titans expansion, but honestly i just got bored of aoe aom because i get relatively unpatient, that is waiting for the resources to be gatehered, since i begun playing battle for middel earth1 i just loved the fact that cavlery can trample regular units, and i mis that in all other rtss, after a while of playing bfme1 i swich ed back to aoe2 and i was jut dumbed when i saw cavelry just riding towards the enemy stoping and starting to poke them with their swords lol :wink: , its that darn bfme i gues that changed how i look at rts's nowedays, althou i like rise of nations and aom(because of the mythological aspect, i always since i was in high school loved anything that had something to do with ancient Rome, or with the Greeks ) and aoe3 i just dont like the time period, so far i would buy i think rise of legends than aoe3 althou im building a new system maby next week so maby i can be able to play battle for middle earth 2 which i bought a while ago and im unable to play it with this pc :cry: , i saw many videos and screanshots on it, and loved them, well c how the gameplay will be.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I have been gaming for about 13 years now... (Shit what have I been doing with my life)!!!

But anyway I have just realised that I would not buy any of those games. It’s not because they are not good games in there own right it’s because I have played the genre of real time strategy to death. Ever since the first Command & Conquer I played every single game like it from Starcraft to Warcraft 3… thinking about it Warcraft 3 was the last RTS I actually enjoyed.

But as soon as I played C&C Generals I just lost all my interest in RTS games. I have tried playing them; I even completed Ground Control 2 but have just lost all interest in the RTS genre. It has gone from my most loved genre to my least favoured in the space of 4 years… Could it be that I am going crazy or is it just that the RTS genre is dieing… Is there no change, no evolution?

Sorry just needed a rant :(

Ow just realised I do like some... Total War, but then again you can hardly call that a true RTS.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I have been gaming for about 13 years now... (S**t what have I been doing with my life)!!!

But anyway I have just realised that I would not buy any of those games. It’s not because they are not good games in there own right it’s because I have played the genre of real time strategy to death. Ever since the first Command & Conquer I played every single game like it from Starcraft to Warcraft 3… thinking about it Warcraft 3 was the last RTS I actually enjoyed.

But as soon as I played C&C Generals I just lost all my interest in RTS games. I have tried playing them; I even completed Ground Control 2 but have just lost all interest in the RTS genre. It has gone from my most loved genre to my least favoured in the space of 4 years… Could it be that I am going crazy or is it just that the RTS genre is dieing… Is there no change, no evolution?

Sorry just needed a rant :(

Ow just realised I do like some... Total War, but then again you can hardly call that a true RTS.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
hm...i must agrie with You, i guess its because they are all "the same" that is in most if not all strategies one gathers resources, builds up economy, armies, and atacks others before they atack You, so i gues there is not much more "innovation" to be present in gaming, even if the graphics look just gordious (like aoe3) the gameplay is important, i myselfe played battle for middle earth 1 for more than half a year almost day in day online(atleast that 4 or 5 times in a week) and now that there are no more people playing it online i try to play it vs teh pc al but honestly i find the al ...pathetic, i can defeat 2 al armies on the hardest level, and its geting a bit boring, because it all is the same , that is i first build up resources get some defensie towers just in case an atack, then get archers upgrade them and atack and retreat to heal them so they lvl up to become more powerful, and then i take one enemy base after another just with 3 or 4 batalions fully upfgraded, and with atleast that handful of heroes, and the game is over for shoor,
then i started playing rise of nations again after almost a year of not playing it, i liked the online games but after about 1 or 2 weeks i got bored, and now i m left with no game that i would find challenging, or fun enough to even install, or even run
althou i have to admit that i bought battle for middle earth 2 when it came out(overpayed a lot :cry: ) and was unable to play it, but now that im building a new system in the next 1 or 2 weeks, i might find what i was looking for, hopefully, althou i have to admit i have been playing Myst 4 :Revelations about a month ago and i could not leave the pc till i finished the entire game, i think that was one of the most captivating games i ever played, considering im not much of a adventure playing type, but for the price of $9 it was well worth it, after that i got the whole 10th aniversary edition of Myst, but honestly part of me does not want to try out the old(er) parts because i think i might not like the visuals as the ones in myst 4 were mindblowing, considerign my pc is an oldie.

RedZone

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
C & C: Red Alert is the best multiplayer rts EVER EVER EVER made. it was fast , you could play 4 people and did i mention it was fast?

nothing beat the russian tesla rush or the allied Tanya attacks

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I'd buy or "get" generals from a friend.
I wouldn't expect to get hooked for a year or so.
But you can have a good month or two of playing quite a bit.
Get all the medals then move on to something new.
Total War was mentioned but its a TBS(turn based) however I loved everyone of them.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
i actualy have it somewhere, i installed it but it was all weird on xp i think the resolution was 800x600 or so, so i uninstalled it, btw do people still play it online? or You ment it that they did ?

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Total War was mentioned but its a TBS(turn based) however I loved everyone of them.

Slight clarification here if anyone is reading this and hasn't played any Total War games.
The strategy part is turn-based, but the actual battles (which is the what makes these games great) is real-time.
It's not true turn-based strategy, like the Civilization family of games.

ignite101

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I really dont like neither of the games. By far, I recomend getting lord of the rings battle for middle earth 2 from EA.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006

Slight clarification here if anyone is reading this and hasn't played any Total War games.
The strategy part is turn-based, but the actual battles (which is the what makes these games great) is real-time.
It's not true turn-based strategy, like the Civilization family of games.

Heh yeah I absolutely love using horse archers.
Run in circles picking guys off.
Get them good and demorilized/frustrated.
Have gen group/one other cav to protect then 1-2 groups of good infantry.
cirle em then charge from all sides.
^_^

The combat is great.
In Rome Total War the combat is awesome IMO while medievel etc was sort of hard to control, shogun was VERY hard IMO. Well I just didn't like the controls.