Sign in with
Your question

My Computer Keeps Shutting Off After I Start Certain Games

Last response: in Video Games
August 8, 2006 2:04:11 AM

My computer allways shuts of and restarts when i start to play some games,or sometimes even when im in the middle of playing one.
can anyone tell me why this is happening?
(id also appreciate it if you could tell me how i can fix this problem)
August 8, 2006 4:44:12 AM

ok first tell me/everyone what u have in your computer

system specs

ok from i know i think its your Ram or maybe u just need to re-install Windows
August 8, 2006 5:10:59 AM

raedeon x300 series
1.00 gb ram

im a noob when its bout computers so im not sure what else u want to know lol
Related resources
August 8, 2006 5:25:26 AM

whats your

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Videocard

or if u bought from a company, dell,gateway etc.
please inform so.
August 8, 2006 5:32:18 AM

pentium 4 cpu 3.00 ghz
1.00gb of ram
im not sure how to get my motherboard or videocards info

bought it from HP
August 8, 2006 5:46:59 AM

wont let me download the client ...gues im screwed
August 8, 2006 6:01:53 AM

k yea i finally found the thing,i have it on my comp now
August 8, 2006 6:06:03 AM

....and it doesnt work
August 8, 2006 6:07:02 AM

....and it doesnt work
August 8, 2006 7:19:05 AM

You have to create a bootable floppy disk and save that download to it, then insert to floppy drive. Then power up the pc and hit bios and set it to boot on the floppy and then restart the pc. It should work. Unless you have tried that already. :(  Do you have any rams around or your friends maybe? so you can switch it to try it out if the ram is really the one causing the problem?
August 8, 2006 4:30:22 PM

yea i might switch the ram from my old computer with this one,
but im not sure if thats a good idea since this computer has 1.00 gb of ram,my old one has 275 mb
you think i should do it?
August 8, 2006 5:17:34 PM

thought so,well should i get a new ATI vid card or what can i do to make this stop?
August 8, 2006 5:44:10 PM

Ok if it's an HP and you don't have any idea how to find specs.
You should have a model number or a serial number.
If you give us that we might have some idea of what your system is.
Have you made any upgrades.
Also what sort of heat are you getting?
I'm guessing these newer games put your system on max load and it can't handle the load.
I'm not sure if it's video/heat/memory/power though.
Does it seem to run hotter?
I'm guessing you don't have a heat monitor program/know how to get one?
If it's summer and your place has been really warm(been 90+) last week or so here, that could further complicate your problem if it is indeed cooling issue.
Hope I'm of some help.
Remember model number/SN great help.
Also if your massochistic/warranty is good might try calling HP.
August 8, 2006 5:56:10 PM

Model Number:M127ON
Product Number:p P132AAR-ABA
Serial Number:MXR5145687
Pentium 4 3.0
1GB Ram
ATI RAEDEON X300 SE (total memory 128MB)

No Upgrades
i dont think it runs hotter,but it might
i have no clue how to get a system to let my computer check how hot its running

and when it restarts after it shuts down it says something about a serious error
(BC:19 B)
C:/DOCUMENT/Hp_ADM/locals~1/TEMP/WERfcfo.dir00/sysdata.xml

thats all the info i could get so far
August 8, 2006 6:09:57 PM

Model Number Should Be:S0000,SR1000,SA3000,m000,m1000,d1000,a000,t000,8000,9000 series

That's like a ton of models....
Should have a specific model # or serial tag/service code on it.

That message is telling you that there is a log of the error if you go to that log you can get more info or there should be a more info tab.
I think chances are it's more likely software.
I'd start with upgrading video drivers.
August 8, 2006 6:22:05 PM

o allrite,and how can i upgrade my video drivers?
August 8, 2006 6:54:57 PM

Quote:

o allrite,and how can i upgrade my video drivers?

www.ati.com
August 8, 2006 7:18:09 PM

Quote:
and when it restarts after it shuts down it says something about a serious error
(BC:19 B)
C:/DOCUMENT/Hp_ADM/locals~1/TEMP/WERfcfo.dir00/sysdata.xml

I think it's an overheating problem... has this always happened? Or just recently? Try playing with the side case open and a house fan pointed at the opening and see if you get more stable.
August 8, 2006 7:38:39 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&c...

Your pc information from HP

My brains dead I need food and drink.
Also patch said games if there are any.
Check games websites for compatability issues with your Video card..
Do you have integrated if so that could be an issue.
The board comes with but I'm guessing you have a separate pciX video card?

Regardless I'm tired and need to go install some ram.
I'll bbl.
zzzzzz
August 8, 2006 10:27:17 PM

ill give it a try,
my computer is pretty new and it has allways bin doing it
August 8, 2006 10:30:15 PM

i'll give it a try
thanx
August 8, 2006 11:09:25 PM

I have the same problem, never had it before, when i installed the battlefield 1942 multiplayer demo and maz out the setings after about 1min and 30 sec the ps shuts down and restarts, the same isue hapens with the C&C Generals demo just right after the first video ends or even if i skip the video the pc restarts in the same second, i cant even get to the menu, so i gess its not a overheating issue, i can play other games for hours without any issues, this hapened to me only with these 2 games(is it me or maby te fact that they are both from EA might be the issue here?) i have no installed any new software at all except these games, the b1942 works well online (the demo) if i have all visual options seto to minimum except the quality which works fine if its set to the max, i have all new drivers, and the demo of b1942 pached its the same situatio, and i wanted to buy those 2 games thats why installed the demo, but now that im having these issues i doubt that i will buy those games.

im shoor this is not heat related issue, since my readings indicate the same as usual temps, or even lower lately(since i have the air conditioning on), ram, i doubt it, only these 2 games are the issue here nothing else. power supply, doubtful, i got a relatively new 480W psu

this is the first time i had issues like this and only with these 2 titles, so i gues there is an issue with the games itselfe(the demos), althou i played cc generals teh ful version when it came out(my friend lended it to me, and i could play it without any issues, so its weird that the demo is not working now-causing isses)

btw 2 times out of that 6 or 7 the pc went to check the "c"hard drive right after it booted before it went to windows, the "checkdisk" found no problems with it.

does anyone know what might be the cause?
August 8, 2006 11:49:06 PM

yea its definately not the heat thats causing any troubles,
im pretty sure its the video card now
i gues some games dont work with cetain video cards,
so yea maybe try getting another video card,thats what im gona do
August 15, 2006 11:37:20 AM

Quote:
yea its definately not the heat thats causing any troubles,
im pretty sure its the video card now
i gues some games dont work with cetain video cards,
so yea maybe try getting another video card,thats what im gona do

Before going out and spending $hundreds on a new video card, have you tried getting HP to fix it? You said it was still new, so it should still be under warranty. You've paid for the warranty when you bought the machine, so you may as well use it.
August 16, 2006 7:17:55 PM

Quote:

btw 2 times out of that 6 or 7 the pc went to check the "c"hard drive right after it booted before it went to windows, the "checkdisk" found no problems with it.

does anyone know what might be the cause?

When windows crashes.
Or sometimes you just force crash it(hold down power)
It often wants to do a disk check.
I think it depends on your settings/windows build.
It's pretty common, don't worry about HDD.

Regarding world falls, the advice to call HP and see if they'll do something is golden. However they might just say "Sorry we don't support those games", or something lame.
August 16, 2006 9:27:24 PM

i think that it was the other guy with the HP i have a soy vaio, atleast thats what it "used to be" before the upgradeing, and replacement, and honestly i get woried if there are issues with the hard drive, since 2001 when i got theis pc i replaced 5 hd's they either had some physical faults, or they had unrepairable issues with the sectors, and had to be replaced. lol so almost 6 years later 3 dead hd's later the system still works, so so thou :wink: thats why im planing to build a new ssytem most probably next week.
August 17, 2006 11:23:10 AM

Quote:
i think that it was the other guy with the HP i have a soy vaio, atleast thats what it "used to be" before the upgradeing, and replacement, and honestly i get woried if there are issues with the hard drive, since 2001 when i got theis pc i replaced 5 hd's they either had some physical faults, or they had unrepairable issues with the sectors, and had to be replaced. lol so almost 6 years later 3 dead hd's later the system still works, so so thou :wink: thats why im planing to build a new ssytem most probably next week.

That seems a pretty high death-rate for HDs. I've been using PCs for 8 years, and only had one die on me (and that was one of the infamous IBM 'Deathstars').
What on earth are you doing to them? 8O
August 17, 2006 1:32:09 PM

lol i know i must have had the Sony Vaio "jinxed" edition lol, i just played games, programmed, used ms office, browsd the net, just basic stuff, the first time it died was on itselfe, i just couldnt boot, the other time i left the pc on while it was scanning for viruses (norton) and left shopping, when i came back i got a blue screan, and the only info i got aout of it that there was a issue with one of the sectors(i believe it was the almost last one) then after about 2 times that i could get any info from the hd it just died, the other time i took it to service they replaced the hd with the one that i had to replace myselfe anyway, later on :cry:  ....so i gues neither western digital, nor maxtor liked my vaio lol, but odly enough right now i m using a maxtor and a western digital hd lol
August 18, 2006 2:56:46 PM

Yeah it was the other guy.
However with HDD issues.
If your going through that many I'm guessing it's a desktop to moving/shock isn't an issue.
My next best guess would be heat/electrical/static?
Take desktop off carpet.
Might be mobo but over 6 years you've probably had two.
Also power supply/voltage spikes/surge strip
Personally I've fried 2 mobos + many compnents.
House did get struck by lightning 4 times though.
I'm getting a ups next time I build a new computer.
!