Dropped calls increasing in NYC and Northern NJ

Ed

I have been a Verizon/BAM subscriber for years and rarely had a
dropped call. Recently, I have calls dropped more often in NYC
(Manhattan below 14 St.) and in Jersey City (Newport). This is
happening outdoors on weekends when the CDMA digital signal is strong
(4-5 bars/5). I have also noticed that incoming voice audio often
fades in and out. Has anyone else had these problems? In other
areas, such as at home in Somerset County, NJ, I don't have dropped
calls but I still have the fading. I am using a year old LG VX4400.

Ed

From here in Brooklyn -- no dropped calls to speak of.

ednj2002@yahoo.com (Ed) wrote in

> I have been a Verizon/BAM subscriber for years and rarely had a
> dropped call. Recently, I have calls dropped more often in NYC
> (Manhattan below 14 St.) and in Jersey City (Newport). This is
> happening outdoors on weekends when the CDMA digital signal is strong
> (4-5 bars/5). I have also noticed that incoming voice audio often
> fades in and out. Has anyone else had these problems? In other
> areas, such as at home in Somerset County, NJ, I don't have dropped
> calls but I still have the fading. I am using a year old LG VX4400.

JL

I have that exact phone and live in Jersey City. I've been a subscriber for
10 days and I have already experienced the dropped calls. I've been standing
on Morris Canal peninsula, full signal, and have had 5 or 6 dropped calls.

Thinking it might be my phone (its battery was also dying too soon) I took
it to the Newport store and they gave me a new battery (will see if that
solves it) but the tech support guy gave me one of those easy answers (oh,
it's bad down there...). What the hell do you mean it's bad "down there" I
replied? As if "down there" was the boonies. Jeez, could you even think your
excuses better.

Anyways, I have not experienced the fading audio, yet, just the dropped
calls.

JL

"Ed" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have been a Verizon/BAM subscriber for years and rarely had a
> dropped call. Recently, I have calls dropped more often in NYC
> (Manhattan below 14 St.) and in Jersey City (Newport). This is
> happening outdoors on weekends when the CDMA digital signal is strong
> (4-5 bars/5). I have also noticed that incoming voice audio often
> fades in and out. Has anyone else had these problems? In other
> areas, such as at home in Somerset County, NJ, I don't have dropped
> calls but I still have the fading. I am using a year old LG VX4400.
>
> Ed

My anecdotal experience is that it is heavily dependent on phone!!!
(I live in NJ).

I have had Verizon for the past 3 years with a motorola v60, and have
experienced maybe 5 dropped calls total!!! (with over 400 hours of
use time literally all over the east cost)

My girlfriend, on the other hand, drops calls on her nokia verizon
phone every day! (she lives a block away and frequently is in the
exact same location as myself).

Another friend of mine with the samsung a310 is even worse. She loves
to travel, so she has been all around as well. Drops at least once
every single time i talk to her!!!!

This is far from a scientific study, but i'm convinced that the phone
has something to with it! I'm happy as a clam with my service, while
they both curse it!

-Tom

"JL" <jl@nospam.org> wrote in message news:<UsGdnffDS9fBgxDdRVn-hQ@comcast.com>...
> I have that exact phone and live in Jersey City. I've been a subscriber for
> 10 days and I have already experienced the dropped calls. I've been standing
> on Morris Canal peninsula, full signal, and have had 5 or 6 dropped calls.
>
> Thinking it might be my phone (its battery was also dying too soon) I took
> it to the Newport store and they gave me a new battery (will see if that
> solves it) but the tech support guy gave me one of those easy answers (oh,
> it's bad down there...). What the hell do you mean it's bad "down there" I
> replied? As if "down there" was the boonies. Jeez, could you even think your
> excuses better.
>
> Anyways, I have not experienced the fading audio, yet, just the dropped
> calls.
>
> JL
>
> "Ed" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have been a Verizon/BAM subscriber for years and rarely had a
> > dropped call. Recently, I have calls dropped more often in NYC
> > (Manhattan below 14 St.) and in Jersey City (Newport). This is
> > happening outdoors on weekends when the CDMA digital signal is strong
> > (4-5 bars/5). I have also noticed that incoming voice audio often
> > fades in and out. Has anyone else had these problems? In other
> > areas, such as at home in Somerset County, NJ, I don't have dropped
> > calls but I still have the fading. I am using a year old LG VX4400.
> >
> > Ed

Hi, also use my phone in Jersey City. Had a lg510 never had a dropped call but
had echos, switched to a motorola 720 constantly had dropped calls and no
signal in areas where I always had a signal. Now I'm using a Samsong 530 and
havent had a dropped call since I got the phone (July 03). A friend got his
samsong 530 in June of 03, never had a dropped call. Oh, I've used my phone in
the area in downtown jersey city, near newport mall, between marin and
washington st., again, no problems with my lg510, no signal with the 720
(including all 3 firmware upgrades) and no problems with the samsong 530. Yes
the phone definately makes a difference. They're not all the same. Also never
had any problems with my startac.

In article <517822ae.0404250502.25844e5d@posting.google.com>,
Ed <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have been a Verizon/BAM subscriber for years and rarely had a
>dropped call. Recently, I have calls dropped more often in NYC
>(Manhattan below 14 St.) and in Jersey City (Newport). This is
>happening outdoors on weekends when the CDMA digital signal is strong
>(4-5 bars/5). I have also noticed that incoming voice audio often
>fades in and out. Has anyone else had these problems? In other
>areas, such as at home in Somerset County, NJ, I don't have dropped
>calls but I still have the fading. I am using a year old LG VX4400.

I use a two year old T720. My cellular connections have so-so voice
quality and occasional calls that go straight to voicemail without
ringing, in the East Village area. In Chinatown, things are worse.
On the Upper West Side and Upper East Side, it's pretty good.

Almost always though, my phone shows full signal strength. My
guess is that the problems are largely due to insufficient capacity.
There is not much if anything that VZW customer service can do
about this; it's the result of a very successful marketing campaign
that has essentially oversold the available bandwidth.

--
Ken Bell :: kenbell@panix.com :: (212) 475-4976 (voice)

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <517822ae.0404250502.25844e5d@posting.google.com>, ednj2002
@yahoo.com says...
> I have been a Verizon/BAM subscriber for years and rarely had a
> dropped call. Recently, I have calls dropped more often in NYC
> (Manhattan below 14 St.) and in Jersey City (Newport). This is
> happening outdoors on weekends when the CDMA digital signal is strong
> (4-5 bars/5). I have also noticed that incoming voice audio often
> fades in and out. Has anyone else had these problems? In other
> areas, such as at home in Somerset County, NJ, I don't have dropped
> calls but I still have the fading. I am using a year old LG VX4400.
>
> Ed

ME TOO - in Manhattan - all over the west side - uptown and downtown,
but more frequent use on the upper west side. I've had it happen in the
middle of a weekday afternoon while I'm sitting absolutely still and the
same on weekends.

I've complained to VZ who simply took the complaint.

I brought my VX4400 to a store and they updated the firmware. I
continued to have problems. I brought it to another store: they had it
for about 20 minutes and told me it was switching from digital to analog
and that every time that happened, it dropped the call.

I've not been able to test it since this last "repair" but I have my
doubts.

Either it's the phone. Or, I fear, VZ has had a large increase in
subscribers since number portability and the cells are overly full.

Louise

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <UsGdnffDS9fBgxDdRVn-hQ@comcast.com>, jl@nospam.org says...
> I have that exact phone and live in Jersey City. I've been a subscriber for
> 10 days and I have already experienced the dropped calls. I've been standing
> on Morris Canal peninsula, full signal, and have had 5 or 6 dropped calls.
>
> Thinking it might be my phone (its battery was also dying too soon) I took
> it to the Newport store and they gave me a new battery (will see if that
> solves it) but the tech support guy gave me one of those easy answers (oh,
> it's bad down there...). What the hell do you mean it's bad "down there" I
> replied? As if "down there" was the boonies. Jeez, could you even think your
> excuses better.
>
> Anyways, I have not experienced the fading audio, yet, just the dropped
> calls.
>
> JL
>
> "Ed" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have been a Verizon/BAM subscriber for years and rarely had a
> > dropped call. Recently, I have calls dropped more often in NYC
> > (Manhattan below 14 St.) and in Jersey City (Newport). This is
> > happening outdoors on weekends when the CDMA digital signal is strong
> > (4-5 bars/5). I have also noticed that incoming voice audio often
> > fades in and out. Has anyone else had these problems? In other
> > areas, such as at home in Somerset County, NJ, I don't have dropped
> > calls but I still have the fading. I am using a year old LG VX4400.
> >
> > Ed

It has started happening to me in the exact same places it never ever
happened before, for several years.

Louise

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <c6kgad$a48$1@reader2.panix.com>, kenbell@panix.com says...
> In article <517822ae.0404250502.25844e5d@posting.google.com>,
> Ed <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >I have been a Verizon/BAM subscriber for years and rarely had a
> >dropped call. Recently, I have calls dropped more often in NYC
> >(Manhattan below 14 St.) and in Jersey City (Newport). This is
> >happening outdoors on weekends when the CDMA digital signal is strong
> >(4-5 bars/5). I have also noticed that incoming voice audio often
> >fades in and out. Has anyone else had these problems? In other
> >areas, such as at home in Somerset County, NJ, I don't have dropped
> >calls but I still have the fading. I am using a year old LG VX4400.
>
> I use a two year old T720. My cellular connections have so-so voice
> quality and occasional calls that go straight to voicemail without
> ringing, in the East Village area. In Chinatown, things are worse.
> On the Upper West Side and Upper East Side, it's pretty good.
>
> Almost always though, my phone shows full signal strength. My
> guess is that the problems are largely due to insufficient capacity.
> There is not much if anything that VZW customer service can do
> about this; it's the result of a very successful marketing campaign
> that has essentially oversold the available bandwidth.

I agree with you about the cause.

However, if it continues, and gets worse (as I'm afraid it will as their
subscriber base increases), I will not want to continue my 2 year
contract which I recently renewed.

It seems to me that a noticeable and severe drop in the quality of
service could be reasons to revoke contracts - especially if there were
to be some kind of class action.

Louise