Sign in with
Your question

Medieval Total War 2

Last response: in Video Games
August 8, 2006 5:48:12 AM

This is the one I've been waiting for all year. I'm a fan of most genres in the pc gaming arena, but strategy games that are in-depth and that allow advanced tactics to be deployed are genuinely appealing to me.

Anoyone else pumped for this little baby? I've always been a fan of the entire Total War series yet this one is really going to be brilliant, I believe.

More about : medieval total war

August 8, 2006 8:50:40 AM

Not particularly, I'll probably buy it like I've done with every other TW game however it won't be any different from the previous games.
August 8, 2006 8:59:40 AM

I dont know Wolfy; I reckon this one will be improved.

Sure, the formula wont stray far from the tried and true methodology for the Total War series, but its the period in history that will allow more exciting & complex aspects of gameplay to be introduced that simply were not possible with the original.

I'm wondering if they'll ever do a "Modern Total War"? :p 
Related resources
August 8, 2006 7:59:03 PM

I am also very much looking foward to this game. Any ideas what the system requirements it will need, or whether it will be directx9 or 10?
August 9, 2006 12:54:24 AM

Mate, I dont know about the specs but I have a 6600Gt, 3000+ athlon 64, 2 gig of good memory, plus a quick hdd and I'm hopeful that that will be enough to enjoy the game.

If not, I'll upgrade. :lol: 

There's not much on the total war site except a few tasty tidbits of information.

Direct X 10, I would suspect would be its go.
August 9, 2006 2:15:25 PM

If it is coming out this year, it will probably be DX 9 as DX 10 won't be out until Vista comes out next year.
August 15, 2006 9:23:39 PM

I am definitely looking forward to this game :D 

Also to Wolfy: They 'say' its gonna have new improved features..... and they might be telling the truth :) 
August 16, 2006 1:04:07 PM

I remember back when Medieval Total War was released, it was a beast needing the best of the best that PC’s had to offer to run it. My GeForce 3 and Athlon 1700+ just could not cope. But when Rome Total War was released the difference it made to the franchise was immense. Not only where battles on a much greater and more believable scale than they ever were before, the quality of the graphics was superb. You could even zoom all the way in to see everyone’s faces, a big difference from the 2D sprites they used on the game before.

I believe you can expect the same jump in quality again, from the looks of it they have changed the problem with all the units looking the same and have again doubled the quality of graphics. I would hope though that the battles will become a lot more realistic to with non of this hitting someone with a sward only for them to stand there fighting back then drop dead 2 or 3 seconds later.

One thing is for sure though, my current PC that plays Rome Total war perfectly will struggle completely with this new iteration in the Total War franchise. So get those fingers ready on those wallets, it’s going to be a big one!
August 16, 2006 6:42:57 PM

I lost my total war rome cd1 in germany I think : /
I'll probbaly play 2 when I can crack it/get it cheaply.
Also when I have my new computer and not a laptop with no HDD space.
August 16, 2006 9:42:00 PM

I gotta be honest. I loved RTW, but the video previews I've seen do not look much different. Gameplay and graphics look the same. New units could be fun, but I'm afraid that it might be the same game. I'll probably still buy it, but I hope I'm not bored with it right away.
August 18, 2006 3:03:34 PM

Quote:
Graphics look the same... are you crazy, are your eyes strait 8O

http://i.i.com.com/cnet.g2/images/2006/193/931592_20060...

I lost my rome cd when I moved back from germany so I forget how graphics look zoomed in but I ask you this.
Is the engine the same?
I imagine some minor revisions at least.
Regardless I'm going to have to buy it and be in love/lose a week or so.
August 18, 2006 4:22:24 PM

The engine has been the same since shogun total war but they have updated everyone one with new features and graphics. What makes it good is the amount of extra features and much better looking graphics. It all leads to a more immersive and realistic battle ground at the end of the day and I guess that’s what keeps me coming back for more.
August 18, 2006 5:27:35 PM

WRONG!
Rome was a new graphics engine from the others.
I don't remember if medievel was or not.
Yeah I'm sure maybe it was based upon previous/battles are similar.
But the engine was pretty much completely redone.
It has not been same graphics engine all along.
August 20, 2006 2:47:51 PM

Quote:
WRONG!
Rome was a new graphics engine from the others.
I don't remember if medievel was or not.
Yeah I'm sure maybe it was based upon previous/battles are similar.
But the engine was pretty much completely redone.
It has not been same graphics engine all along.

True!
Rome was a totaly new engine. It's the new engine that prompted the History channel to use it for it's series. It suprises me but my Laptop actually runs Rome Better than Medieval.
August 21, 2006 1:09:55 PM

It was new in the respect that it had a new way of rendering units… But if you look back, everything else is more or less the same. The way the scenery is rendered to the way you control your units. If you remember back to Medieval Total War it was all 3D apart from the units that used 2D sprites. From the looks of it that’s all they have changed, the maps are done in near enough the same way.

Even the strategy map is the same. All they did to Rome was stick a few 3D trees about the place and made the 3D units move instead of stand still.

>>EDIT: This forums is messed up, whats the deal with me having to post things twice before they will show?
August 21, 2006 1:10:26 PM

ding dong
August 21, 2006 2:07:00 PM

Quote:
...new way of rendering units…

Exactly my point.
Perhaps you aren't understanding my termonology.
Not sure if english is your first language.
The graphics engine is what renders them.
Game engine is similar and could be same but modified, I agree.
So in your terms...
Does medievel II have "a new way of rendering units" or graphics engine or does it use the rome one more or less?
August 21, 2006 2:08:03 PM

Double Posted :/ 
My net at work sucks and I don't see delete option... so ignore this post.
August 21, 2006 2:20:25 PM

Medieval 2 will use an improved version of the Rome Total War engine.
August 21, 2006 4:05:38 PM

Quote:
WRONG! Rome was a new graphics engine from the others.

It’s not a new graphics engine it is simply an updated engine with bits added on, this is what I am saying. I am Scottish so yes my first language is English… I don’t know what made you think otherwise.

Basically as you can see in Medieval 2 Total War it is the same engine that has been modified to make it better E.g. allowing the units to have 3 or 4 times more polygons and more diverse movements. Again you will see they have not done much to the maps bar better quality textures and more lighting.

Look back all the way to Shogun Total War the maps are nearly identical in quality to what they are in Rome Total War a game that is practically 10 years younger.

My point was the game has only evolved in minor ways as far as the engine is concerned (the latest tweak being all the models being 3D instead of 2D) and that they seem to only be tweaking a damn good engine to get all they can out of it. Not only the cheapest way but also the best as the engine was a very good one to start with.

I don’t think they will dump this engine and start a new till they have reached perfection. Spot the difference between Rome and Medieval 2… Better textures and more quality on the maps, hopefully better interaction between units when in battles as well. But all in all it is the same game made better, not that that’s a bad thing as I am still not bored of Rome yet!!!
August 21, 2006 4:22:53 PM

What is with this forum, the post does not appear till the next post is done?
August 21, 2006 5:41:00 PM

No. Rome TW's engine was created from scratch.

Saying that it's the same as shogun is like saying Quake 4's engine is an updated version of Quake 2's engine.
August 21, 2006 6:39:29 PM

LOL - Its funny that you posted that link. Lets take a look at what is in that picture. A guy on a horse and some guys with spears. Sure the spears look alot better, there is a little more bump-mapping on the horse, and the units may look unique, but the gameplay and campaign map look exactly the same. What new elements or gameply mechanics have been added? Small graphical enhancements, unique warrior movements/weapons/armor and a slightly different story just aren't going to keep my interest for very long. Especially after I spent 60+ hours playing RTW/BI already.

Dont get me wrong, I am going to buy this when it comes out. I just have a hunch that I will be bored with it much sooner. Not trying to piss on anyone's parade, just the truth. I suppose knowing that RTW was the first total war game I ever played would probably help explain my point of view.
August 21, 2006 9:56:19 PM

Quote:
No. Rome TW's engine was created from scratch.

Saying that it's the same as shogun is like saying Quake 4's engine is an updated version of Quake 2's engine.

This was my point.
They were all similar concepts/design but I knew for fact that is was new for Rome.
August 26, 2006 11:17:03 AM

Oh, I am PUMPED!!! :twisted: Ever since I have played RTW I was just bored of all other strategy games I have played. I tried BFME and BFME 2 as well as DOW but I was bored within 10 hours of gameplay at most (DOW).
Even if improvements are just purely cosmetic I think most people on this forum will still agree with me that when M2TW comes out it will be the best strategy game and probably until the next TW.
August 26, 2006 11:19:33 AM

Oh, I am PUMPED!!! :twisted: Ever since I have played RTW I was just bored of all other strategy games I have played. I tried BFME and BFME 2 as well as DOW but I was bored within 10 hours of gameplay at most (DOW).
Even if improvements are just purely cosmetic I think most people on this forum will still agree with me that when M2TW comes out it will be the best strategy game and probably until the next TW. I hope my 3800 amd, 7900gt and gig o ram will allow me to play at decent res.
August 29, 2006 11:19:30 PM

Yeah, it should be mighty fine. From Shogun right through to Rome, the Total War franchise has always been able to capture and then keep my attention.

What I am really hoping for is not so much massive graphics improvement, but rather, the further refinement of the in-depth synergy gleaned by the Creative Assembly Team over the years with regards to the strategical nature of economy management and Real-time-battles. That has always been one of its best points: its meshing of eco management on a strategy map blended with large, full-scale battles on a battle map.

At any rate, I'm sure it will be all good! :) 
August 30, 2006 4:55:16 PM

Just curious, but anyone know how well 2 eVGA 7800GTXs in SLI-Mode will run Medieval Total War 2?
August 30, 2006 5:19:58 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say w/ ease unless maybe you're in battle zoomed all the way in on a ridiculously high setting with AA etc all on =P.

Heh last night I was parthia and was picking off tons of spearmen with my horse archers it was funny.
120 horse archers vrs 500 spearmen =P
<3 rtw
August 30, 2006 5:54:06 PM

Thanks for the reply Will. Is there a demo/beta out yet? If so where can I get it!!?! I'll be running at 1280 x 1024 and I usually try and max settings, but keep AA and AF at minimun levels with great results.
August 30, 2006 6:04:59 PM

I believe there are trailers downloadable.
All of which blocked from work for me.
However no playable released download demo.
I'm sure we'll see a thread once ones released as I think this is the only game most people have been following on here =P

"The new graphics and gameplay features all come together for the new night time sieges, with tens of thousands of soldiers on screen at once as the boiling oil and the flaming arrows create a sight to make Hollywood weep."

That should be the test for a vid card heh.
I still wouldn't worry about needing to upgrade though.

I'll look more tonight tho as 95% or more of game sights are blocked from work.
August 30, 2006 6:07:15 PM

"I'll look more tonight tho as 95% or more of game sights are blocked from work."

Same :cry: 
August 31, 2006 11:42:59 AM

Quote:
"The new graphics and gameplay features all come together for the new night time sieges, with tens of thousands of soldiers on screen at once as the boiling oil and the flaming arrows create a sight to make Hollywood weep."
Didn’t they say the exact same thing about Rome: Total War - Barbarian Invasion :lol: 

I think we have already been over this though. The game is more CPU hungry than it is hungry on the GFX card. The main thing I would keep in mind is that the textures used will be about 2 or 3 times as large as they where in Rome and there will be about 3 or 4 times as many textures being used. So as far as your system is concerned, if it barely plays it now you’re not going to have much of a chance with the new game.

I think to be safe just keep your money for the time being and upgrade if you must after the game comes out, or even better update when Windows Vista is released with DX10.
August 31, 2006 1:00:16 PM

Meh I didn't expect anything from barbarian invasion but different graphics maybe minor AI tweaks.
Expansions vrs new game is always a huge differance.
If you expected better graphics from the expansion then I hate to be mean but I laugh at you and point.
September 1, 2006 2:36:11 AM

Quote:
Just curious, but anyone know how well 2 eVGA 7800GTXs in SLI-Mode will run Medieval Total War 2?

Jesus! :D 

Bloody good, I'd expect.
September 2, 2006 5:43:56 AM

I never liked the depth of the campaign maps. It just never matched up to the epic battles. It lacks content.

There needs to be a big overhaul of the campaign maps to make the game a fully enjoyable game. The Battles are the only aspect to look forward too in the Total War Series.
October 3, 2006 7:29:23 AM

Yeah I think the campaign maps do need to change, I want to see proper ambushes and better land-see cooperation.
October 4, 2006 4:54:02 AM

I'm not too sure you'll be happy then, because from what I've read they've made some improvements to the campaign mode, but for the most part there are still many similarities to the original Total War style of basic campaign map build-up, fight, etc..

Oh well, we'll all soon see, eh.
October 5, 2006 7:05:11 PM

Quote:

How can anybody answer that question when the game isn't even out yet.

That said, since this game is not FPS, I would say that what you suggest is total way overkill. A single video card will render the graphics just fine and it won't have to be a top line video card like the 7900 series or x1900 type card. A single 7800 video card will work fine.

hball
October 10, 2006 5:36:52 PM

I cannot wait for total war 2 to come out. It is another opportunity to rampage across Europe with my Hungarian Horsemen!
October 10, 2006 11:23:24 PM

Yeah, 5 playable factions and the total war site is releasing more info every day.

The specs are out for anyone interested.

My current rig of a 6600GT, 2 gig of good ram, Amd 3000+ etc., meets the minimum but only just.
October 13, 2006 9:40:41 PM

While the screenies look good I really hope that they have increase the available troops. I want my large army epic battles!!!! :twisted:
October 18, 2006 10:57:57 PM

the game is not so demanding, im runing it on max setings all with the cpecs in my sig, so far i have to say that the game battles while zoomed in are amazing, i never played any total war series, how is the overal non batle thing? is it turn based(im not much a fan of those) thx
!