How do you format a cd on windows xp. Sorry I'm very new
to computers and XP windows. Help

1. Open XP's "Help and Support" program.
2. In the Search box type: ERASE , and hit enter.
3. Click on the task titled: Erase files from a CD.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"meklare" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

| How do you format a cd on windows xp. Sorry I'm very new
| to computers and XP windows. Help

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am going to ask a dumb question, "Why would you want to format a CD?"
Once the CDRW is formatted, it basically becomes a huge floppy disk. I
guess there is a use for such a thing, I just do not know what it is.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> 1. Open XP's "Help and Support" program.
> 2. In the Search box type: ERASE , and hit enter.
> 3. Click on the task titled: Erase files from a CD.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect your PC!

-----------

> "meklare" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:
>
> | How do you format a cd on windows xp. Sorry I'm very new
> | to computers and XP windows. Help

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Jerry" <jhuffman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am going to ask a dumb question, "Why would you want to format a CD?"
> Once the CDRW is formatted, it basically becomes a huge floppy disk. I
> guess there is a use for such a thing, I just do not know what it is.

Well, it can be written over to again and again, when erased each time, so
it can be useful when certain data isn't needed, and newer ones are. By the
way, it can only become a "huge floppy disk", if it is formatted by a
program that enables packet writing. XP cannot do that without 3rd party
software.

Gordon

"Jerry" <jhuffman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am going to ask a dumb question, "Why would you want to format a CD?"
> Once the CDRW is formatted, it basically becomes a huge floppy disk. I
> guess there is a use for such a thing, I just do not know what it is.

So presumably you don't see any use for Zip drives, external HDD and any
other media you can drag and drop files to and from?

Despite being corrected innumerable times, Carey, who is a
known nitwit, keeps posting this incorrect answer to this
question. There is a difference between erasing and
formatting. Formatting requires use of software dedicated
to the task--Nero's InCD is an example. XP has no native
capability in this regard. The OP is advised to do a Google
search on packet writing.