format a cd

How do you format a cd on windows xp. Sorry I'm very new
to computers and XP windows. Help
5 answers Last reply
More about format

    1. Open XP's "Help and Support" program.
    2. In the Search box type: ERASE , and hit enter.
    3. Click on the task titled: Erase files from a CD.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "meklare" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    | How do you format a cd on windows xp. Sorry I'm very new
    | to computers and XP windows. Help

    I am going to ask a dumb question, "Why would you want to format a CD?"
    Once the CDRW is formatted, it basically becomes a huge floppy disk. I
    guess there is a use for such a thing, I just do not know what it is.

    "Jerry" <jhuffman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I am going to ask a dumb question, "Why would you want to format a CD?"
    > Once the CDRW is formatted, it basically becomes a huge floppy disk. I
    > guess there is a use for such a thing, I just do not know what it is.

    Well, it can be written over to again and again, when erased each time, so
    it can be useful when certain data isn't needed, and newer ones are. By the
    way, it can only become a "huge floppy disk", if it is formatted by a
    program that enables packet writing. XP cannot do that without 3rd party
    software.

    "Jerry" <jhuffman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I am going to ask a dumb question, "Why would you want to format a CD?"
    > Once the CDRW is formatted, it basically becomes a huge floppy disk. I
    > guess there is a use for such a thing, I just do not know what it is.

    So presumably you don't see any use for Zip drives, external HDD and any
    other media you can drag and drop files to and from?

    Despite being corrected innumerable times, Carey, who is a
    known nitwit, keeps posting this incorrect answer to this
    question. There is a difference between erasing and
    formatting. Formatting requires use of software dedicated
    to the task--Nero's InCD is an example. XP has no native
    capability in this regard. The OP is advised to do a Google
    search on packet writing.

CD-Rom Format Microsoft Windows XP