Anyone disappointed with AoE 3?

Cheese

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Age of Empires 3 is a good game, I don't regret buying it at all but alas I was playing Age of Mythology the other day and I think it is far better.

I dunno anyone else disappointed with AoE III compared to AoM.

The ship battles in AoE 3 could have been better too.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
I think everyone who has played an earlier AoE game is disappointed with AoE3. I tried the demo and thought it was weaker than AoM or AoE2 so didn't bother buying it.

samgwise

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
well I haven't tried aoe3 but out of all the other aoes my favorite was definitly
aoe 1 and its expansion, if you played multiplayer you could get 200 hundred population so that fixed my only problem with it. so yeh I really haven't been to fussed about aoe3 because I have allways liked aoe 1 it was just so much fun. and definitly better than aoem and aoe2

Lushen124

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Ok, I guess I'm going to have to be the one to offer a second opinion on this. I played the other AOEs a bit and I could never get too far into the other ones before I Just stopped. I tried Age of Mythology and hated it even more. Why the hell could you just summon earthquakes and thunder storms and volcanos out of nowhere? That bothered me quite a bit. AoE 3 was the breath of fresh air in the Age of Empires series. This is quite possibly the first Age of Empires game that took thinking. The First game that took Strategy. And it's infinitely more realisitc than the previous ones (from a historical perspective).

dagonoth

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Age of empires 3 felt like it was dumbed down for the general gamer. There are fewer buildings, there are fewer units you can build. The whole colonial setting just didn't work for me. I love AOE 2 and its design and they just changed a few too many things for me to like the new one.

Lushen124

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Age of empires 3 felt like it was dumbed down for the general gamer. There are fewer buildings, there are fewer units you can build. The whole colonial setting just didn't work for me. I love AOE 2 and its design and they just changed a few too many things for me to like the new one.

While I see what you mean, I think that it's a good thing. It's much easier to just jump into, yet still challenging to master completely. Having sucked at all of the other Age games before this, I got into this one somewhat easily and am now doing very well with it.

smittyhotep

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
being a red alert/C&C Gen. and now presently a DoW vet, i just couldnt hang with the old school setting. however, the various Indian fighter (warriors mantle) were pretty cool.

ElPolloDiablo

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Dawn of War is awesome. I can't wait for the second expansion to come out. Age of Empires 3 is a fun game but the A.I. is incredibly weak, it's very buggy, and I agree the ship battles are half-done.

NECRON Woo

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I am disapointed in AoE3 I think it had nothing new to offer except on the graphics wich look really really nice.

But with the Dutch i couldnt even build a really big dock or something :lol:

You can choose your country but they all can do the same... the same as in AoE1

AoM was the best one out of the series for me

sir_roadkill

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Meh, I played the AOE3 and I tell you it doesn't required much strategical thinking. After just 5 games I was versing 2 allied enemies on hardest difficulty setting and wasting em and I am by no means a pro. Its all about getting the right troop mix, basically a lot of button mashing.

If you want true strategy ROME or any other Total War is pretty much the only way to go. I am looking forward to Medieval 2, Supreme Commander also looks pretty good.

Lushen124

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Meh, I played the AOE3 and I tell you it doesn't required much strategical thinking. After just 5 games I was versing 2 allied enemies on hardest difficulty setting and wasting em and I am by no means a pro. Its all about getting the right troop mix, basically a lot of button mashing.

If you want true strategy ROME or any other Total War is pretty much the only way to go. I am looking forward to Medieval 2, Supreme Commander also looks pretty good.

Meh, it's at least strategical buton mashing. And if you're versing the cpu, that would be why it's a bit on the easy side. You gotta play with other human players. It's a bit harder there....

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I agree that it was a little disappointing, but its still a great game. I've been playing for a while now, and i just got the expansion. it came out today. While simpler than aoe2, its still very strategic. There may be a couple less units and upgrades, but you really have to think about what units you use. Certain units do higher damage against specific units. You have to learn all of that. Also, all the civilizaitons differences are very cool. Unlike in the past where you had a different unit or two, and could only have certain upgrades, its now more diversified. For instance, the dutch have banks which produce gold, and their settlers are trained using gold not food. thats a very radical difference from aoe2.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
aoe3 is made to appeal to children and new gamers. Rise of Nations is what I play instead. Rise of Legends went the same way as aoe3 and was made too simple for new gamers.

MingoDynasty

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Age of Empires 3 is a good game, I don't regret buying it at all but alas I was playing Age of Mythology the other day and I think it is far better.

I dunno anyone else disappointed with AoE III compared to AoM.

The ship battles in AoE 3 could have been better too.

Fuk yea man. AOE3 is liek teh worst game I've ever played. Seeing that it was a recent game, I was hopin for it to be one of the first few RTS games that abuses a beefy comp. Instead, I got crappy graphics.

Back in AOE1 and 2, things were much more simple, not to mention better use of hotkeys. Now in AOE3, you rarely use hotkeys (hotkeys is important :p) and all you do is mass crap and go attack. You don't even control them or anything, just keep attacking. So much for microing skill.

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
alright guys. so besides the lack of formations in aoe3, what is lacking? And as for the graphics, when it came out, it had some of the best graphics out there. It still does. So please, could someone please list what the game is lacking, cause i can't find that much.

xfxdeep

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
The AOE3 rocks.But,still aoe2 conquerers expansion is good enough.I think most of the guys who doesn't liked it because they are amateurs.

AOE3 is for those who mastered AOE2 conquerers expansion.If you directly start with AOE3 you feel little bored.

Before trying AOE3 one should try this

AOE2 Conquerers Expansion

you VS 3 computer opponents (Hardest)

or

atleast

you VS 5 Computer Opponents (Hard)

If you done with them then you will start enjoying AOE3
AOE3 is better than AOE2 in AI,graphics,Strategy e.t.c