Sign in with
Your question

Anyone remember these Classic PC Games?

Last response: in Video Games
August 8, 2006 7:00:20 PM

Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Pharoahs Tomb, Dark Ages, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Stellar 7, Kings Quest, Manhunter USA, and Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist. Any game 15yrs ago that said Sierra or Dynamic on the box was gold.
These games bring back some good memories on the 286 12mhz w/ 640K ram and 42mb HD.

More about : remember classic games

August 8, 2006 10:58:09 PM

Heck, I had Stellar 7 on my Apple ][ plus!

In 1989, I purchased my first PC-based computer, a 286/16 (it ran at 8 with "turbo" to 16!!). In my opinion, if it said "Microprose" it was GOLD!
August 8, 2006 10:58:48 PM

You included Indiana Jones on that list, and that was another company that could do no wrong, Lucasfilms Ltd. (Before they changed the game company name to Lucasarts).

Loom
Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis
Loom
Sam And Max
Maniac Mansion I + 2
Full Throttle (The Bunnies!!!)
and All of the Monkey Island games.

The SCUMM engine rocked.

Also, when it came to strategy wargames or RPG's, nobody could touch SSI.

Panzer General
Axis and Allies
Fantasy Empires
The "Gold Box" series of AD&D games.
Phantasie I/II/III
Questron
Wizard's Crown
Eye of the Beholder I/II/III
Buck Rogers
Storm Across Europe
Dungeon Hack
Unlimited Adventures
Fantasy General
Silent Hunter
Steel Panthers I/II
Pacific General

Others game companies I miss before they were ate up and destroyed by EA, Atari, or others:

Epyx
Mindscape
Black Isle
Activision
Origin Systems
Accolade
Sierra / Dynamix
Data East
Broderbund
Ocean
Interplay

I miss the good old days, playing Wing Commander and Red Baron on my 386 DX/40, 8MB of Ram, Original Soundblaster Card, and a 1MB SVGA graphics card. (S3, I think).

And, remember the good old copy protection the games used to have? They either had a "Code Wheel", or the classic: "What is word 3, of Paragraph 2, on Page 48?" (Refering to the game manual.)
Related resources
August 9, 2006 11:49:52 PM

I played the original LLL in the late 80's on my XT. Also played the hell out of the original D&D Pool of Radiance starting in 1989. And don't forget Starflight! :) 
August 10, 2006 1:58:25 PM

Dark Ages - Awesome
Kings Quest - Awesome

What about the first wingcommander :D  don't forget

Duke Nukem
Dangerous Dave
Pit Fall
Commander Keen
Monuments of Mars
The Various Learning Company Games
August 10, 2006 2:09:56 PM

I'm still wating for Kings Quest online.
August 10, 2006 5:55:56 PM

Two of my old-school favorites for the Commodore 64 were Spy vs. Spy and Aliens.
August 10, 2006 7:30:42 PM

Almost forgot about Archon and Pinball Construction Set. when ea games was still good.
August 10, 2006 11:25:22 PM

Yep, I remember Space quest, and Kings quest. Though I've only played the space quest series. My favorites were Space Quest 1 (VGA) and Space Quest 4. Good times :) 
August 12, 2006 12:25:59 PM

Indiana Jones was the best. I remember sleeples nights playing it.
August 12, 2006 7:32:03 PM

I remember Pharoahs Tomb, i just cant remember if i ever finished it.
August 12, 2006 7:33:41 PM

HA!! spy vs. spy, i almost forgot about that. i remember being in antarcica and climbing into the wrong igloo and dieing alot!! that game was a blast.
August 13, 2006 5:48:47 AM

Oh man do I remember Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Along with Rebel Assault. You gotta love classic LucasArts.
August 15, 2006 8:57:13 PM

Hellz yeah, commander keen. what an awesome game. I can't remember which doom it was but there was a level where a crap load of commander keens where hanging from the ceiling and you could shoot the crap out em.
August 19, 2006 2:10:54 PM

My two favorites aren't on here... spend hours playing the original Test Drive and F-19 Stealth Fighter on my IBM PC-jr. Funny how almost 25 years later I still drive too fast and think that covertly bombing terroist camp sites sound like a good idea.
August 22, 2006 7:32:46 AM

what about

Police Quest
Day of the Tentakel
Monkey Island
Pepper Pumpernikkel
Phantasmagoria
August 24, 2006 5:28:12 AM

I remember playing Kings Quest 5
Duke Nukem 1 & 2
But yeah, I was pretty young at the time..

aaahhh good times
August 24, 2006 5:34:17 AM

I remember playing Kings Quest 5
Duke Nukem 1 & 2
But yeah, I was pretty young at the time..

aaahhh good times
August 26, 2006 12:45:26 PM

yeh the old lucas arts games where good if I remember corectly it was about the time they released episode one that the games really went down hill.
me being bit younger I only remember a few of these titles and thats mainly because I found them when I was bored but I remember the first fps I played
it was this random total conversion for doom that they handed out in sierial packets, it was called chex quest, even to this day I still find it entertaining for some reason. perhaps its because I spend half the time laughing and remanising at how bad I was at it in the days 7-8 yrs old lol.
also I know its more modern but star wars rogue squadron is one game that I've allways found fun and have spent countless hours playing, well atleast untill xp came along and the joystick died(sniff).
it is interesting though how most of those old games are really fun and seem to be better than alot of new titles. In perticular rts games, I don't know about you but I've found that 2d rts titles are still my favorites.
anyway enough rambeling from me....
August 30, 2006 5:20:56 AM

Quote:
Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Pharoahs Tomb, Dark Ages, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Stellar 7, Kings Quest, Manhunter USA, and Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist. Any game 15yrs ago that said Sierra or Dynamic on the box was gold.
These games bring back some good memories on the 286 12mhz w/ 640K ram and 42mb HD.
Although they are a little further into the future, you forgot:

Marathon 1-3, Doom I and II.
August 31, 2006 2:42:27 AM

Jeesh,

I remember playing castle wolfenstien from the 5.25" floppy drive on the Apple 2E I built.

Wow - Commander Keen, great game

Ski
August 31, 2006 6:03:32 PM

I know this is a stretch, but anyone remember a Sierra game called Thexder? I loved it but always got to this one point that I had no clue how to get past. I wish I had a copy that I could play today (
September 1, 2006 4:55:27 AM

Are you kidding me.... you kids, I outta beat you with my cain :) 

How 'bout the classics like Zork and the others from Adventure International! Trying to think what my first game was, but it was something like that on my TRS-80. Now that's classic gaming, although it could be debated whether or not it's PC as PC really started with the IBM 5150 I believe.
September 3, 2006 2:43:38 AM

As a pharmacist I HAD to have Freddy Pharkas. I emailed Josh (something), one of guys in charge of the game and he quoted me in a game magazine and sent me a t-shirt (which I have since worn out).

I read there is a KQ remake in the works with 3d imaging, ect.

How about Ultima 6, 7, and 7.5? U-6 was my very first PC game.
September 3, 2006 2:45:06 AM

Quote:
what about

Police Quest
Day of the Tentakel
Monkey Island
Pepper Pumpernikkel
Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria was the game that started the ratings system for games.
September 5, 2006 1:56:36 AM

Larry, Larry :wink: lol what about worms :wink: ...or scorched earth -mother of all games(ok maby pong was first, but it didnt have so much action) :wink:
September 6, 2006 4:40:09 PM

i havn't seen anyone say StarControl yet
police quest
comander keen, any of them they all rocked
duke nukem 1,2,and 3
Axis and Allies
thats all i remember
September 6, 2006 4:57:48 PM

What was the game series from 89-90 that took full advantage of VGA? It was a PI adventure game. I think one of them took place on Mars.
September 7, 2006 3:56:54 AM

My favorites of all time were Aces of the Pacific and Aces over Europe (Dynamix/Sierra). Those were the days. ;)  Have to admit, sometimes I wish it were like the old DOS days of having to make a boot disk for every game I wanted to play. At least then I wasn't scouring the internet looking for updates/patches to download and hoping they actually fixed my problems. ;) 
September 8, 2006 2:02:10 AM

Worms was great.

Now cant forget Eye of the Beholder!!! How could nobody mention that great 3dlike RPG game! I remember getting my graph paper out and mapping all the dungeons.

Nova 9 was a good tank game for the 286, good graphics and fun to shoot things down.

Chuck Yeagers flight simulator was fun.

LHS attack chopper was also a great helicopter game. Not too many of those around even today.

Cant forget Bane of the Cosmic Forge as a good role playing game! (Wiz 3 I *think*) Those amazon women with no top were great to look at in EGA.

Er ummm... I was young ok!
September 8, 2006 3:25:26 AM

Quote:

Those amazon women with no top were great to look at in EGA.

Er ummm... I was young ok!

....2 bad the devs do not remember those times :cry:  :wink: , would be nice to hm....play lara in that "mode" :wink: lol.....lol but then the title would have to change...hm..."rider"? :wink: lol :twisted:
September 8, 2006 11:56:12 AM

Oh that's a great laugh for the morning!

Rider.... Lol

I think back then, larry and other games had such poor graphics parents didnt scream as they would now.
September 8, 2006 6:56:27 PM

The games that devoured my youth were "Elite II Frontier", "Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Inception", "Demolition Mission", "Archon II", "Jupiter Lander", "Marble Madness", "Street Fighter 2", and a huge box of other floppy disks for the Commodore 64 and Amiga computers.
September 13, 2006 11:04:55 PM

hey did anybody play broderbund's original prince of persia?????????released way back in 1985........carmen sandiego?????????pitfall........dave..........space commanders.............and many more i cant remember as i was only 8 years old in 93 and played all these and many more games on my 286 wid 640 kb ram and i dont know what the hard disk was :) 
good old days.......
September 13, 2006 11:27:08 PM

lol and lets wait for dx10 Lara :wink: .......lol that will be just rated "M" :wink: lol all those nicely shaded pixels curving lol :wink:
September 20, 2006 5:28:47 AM

jack nicholas golf and qbasic nibbles and gorrila...I would spend hours upon hours playing those on the ol' 386, 640k ram, 64mb hdd...it was a sad day when that bad boy blew up (not really tho since it was '97 and it meant we finally got to upgrade)
September 27, 2006 1:03:25 PM

My first PC game was either Star Trek on cp/m based machine, or Adventure.
All the Infocom games, Zork, robotron on a home built Apple, All of the Origin and Micrporse games Wing Commander, Darklands, Mixed up MotherGoose, Oregon trail. My rig at the time was an original PC1 16/64, single sided dual drives at 4.77mhz DOS 1.25- Dos6.22 replaced the original power supply 63 watt with a PC Cooling 140 watt, that was updated over and over til in its final stages it was a 386 dx-20(Gallant computer systems motherboard), with dual 40mb(st-251n) running a compression card that made the system drives and 4mb ram, then I went to a 486 machine.
September 27, 2006 1:05:56 PM

Phantasmagoria talk about swapping cd disks all 6 of the little guys. How about 7th Guest or 11th Hour?
September 27, 2006 1:08:06 PM

One game i never see mentioned is When worlds Collide it required an Aria sound card to play, but after that it was all voice control or you could use a mouse.
September 27, 2006 1:16:43 PM

How about
Purple Saturn Day
The Leather Goddesses of Phobos
Marble Madness
Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy
Adventure
Darkseed
Magic Lantern
Wizardry
Robotron
Darklands
Q-bert
And a game that required Windows 1.0 where you tried to form alliances and take out everybody.
And how about the mudds (pre internet) like duke nukem that were turn based on the old bulletin board system.
!