Verizon Mobile Office and Linksys Wireless-G compatibility

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 25, 2004 11:53:11 AM

I don't see many posts on Mobile Office in this group but here goes...

I have used Mobile Office on my computer when I travel for over a
year... It has worked wonderfully...

When my Linksys Wireless B card failed I picked up the wireless G
version and my problems started...

I began with a fresh Millenium Operating System Ghost for my Laptop
I installed the Linksys card and then I installed mobile office
and while everything seemd to work when I connected to Mobile Office
I was unable to browse the web and continually got a DNS error. When I
useded IPconfig I saw that I had an IP address but was unable to surf
the web.

Technical Support was unable to help me we re-installed the softeware
and even set up a direct connection to no avail

I re ghosted my laptop again and loaded just mobile Office first and
it works fine again.

When I get back from my trip to New York I will need to Install the
Linksys wireless-g card again any Ideas how I can get these two things
to work together

I was thinking about creating different Hardware profiles... ????? But
I am not really sure what drivers to isolate...

Thanks for any help you can give me on solving the problem itself or
direction on where I can go to get help

fr. Bob Schlageter
April 25, 2004 10:18:16 PM

In article <9bb7237b.0404250653.56d5b338@posting.google.com>,
frbobs@aol.com says...
> I don't see many posts on Mobile Office in this group but here goes...
>
> I have used Mobile Office on my computer when I travel for over a
> year... It has worked wonderfully...
>
> When my Linksys Wireless B card failed I picked up the wireless G
> version and my problems started...
>
> I began with a fresh Millenium Operating System Ghost for my Laptop
> I installed the Linksys card and then I installed mobile office
> and while everything seemd to work when I connected to Mobile Office
> I was unable to browse the web and continually got a DNS error. When I
> useded IPconfig I saw that I had an IP address but was unable to surf
> the web.
>
> Technical Support was unable to help me we re-installed the softeware
> and even set up a direct connection to no avail
>
> I re ghosted my laptop again and loaded just mobile Office first and
> it works fine again.
>
> When I get back from my trip to New York I will need to Install the
> Linksys wireless-g card again any Ideas how I can get these two things
> to work together
>
> I was thinking about creating different Hardware profiles... ????? But
> I am not really sure what drivers to isolate...
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me on solving the problem itself or
> direction on where I can go to get help
>
> fr. Bob Schlageter

I do not think that your problem is caused by Mobile Office software.

You said that when you used Ipconfig you saw IP address. Was it IP
address on your Linksys Card? IS it IP address from your router?
What kind of excription do you sue to authenticate to your wireless
network (I hope you use at least WEP, WPA is recommended)
Does your authentication process on laptop match information your
router?
Can you internally ping the router? Can you ping FROM THE ROUTER any
outside servers (please note that some sites block ping option so you
need to ping server that you know that can receive ping, you can do
trouceroute instead)

AP
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 25, 2004 10:18:17 PM

> In article <9bb7237b.0404250653.56d5b338@posting.google.com>,
> frbobs@aol.com says...
>> I don't see many posts on Mobile Office in this group but here
>> goes...
>>
>> I have used Mobile Office on my computer when I travel for over a
>> year... It has worked wonderfully...
>>
>> When my Linksys Wireless B card failed I picked up the wireless G
>> version and my problems started...
>>
>> I began with a fresh Millenium Operating System Ghost for my Laptop
>> I installed the Linksys card and then I installed mobile office
>> and while everything seemd to work when I connected to Mobile Office
>> I was unable to browse the web and continually got a DNS error. When
>> I useded IPconfig I saw that I had an IP address but was unable to
>> surf the web.
>>
>> Technical Support was unable to help me we re-installed the softeware
>> and even set up a direct connection to no avail
>>
>> I re ghosted my laptop again and loaded just mobile Office first and
>> it works fine again.
>>
>> When I get back from my trip to New York I will need to Install the
>> Linksys wireless-g card again any Ideas how I can get these two
>> things to work together
>>
>> I was thinking about creating different Hardware profiles... ?????
>> But I am not really sure what drivers to isolate...
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can give me on solving the problem itself or
>> direction on where I can go to get help
>>
>> fr. Bob Schlageter

When I upgraded my Linksys B card to G, (I work at a computer store, which
has a hotspot, and upgrade to new stuff so I can test it and sell it, We
also sell phones, and I use mobile office too), the G software just replaced
drivers/settings etc that mobile office needed. I deleted both, then
installed the G software (FIRST, order is important), and then reinstalled
MO again (AFTER the G was installed). It appears that the G install is
stupid, and just force feeds any updates in no matter what was there before,
so in essence it overwrites the MO stuff and any changes it made.

From what you said above, it appears you are going to do EXACTLY what causes
problems (IE you MO working, and are going to install the G software AFTER
MO, rather than before). Don't do it that way!
!