ohadstar

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
hello

i am playing boulder gate I, a pure fighter.now every time my exprience points come to 89000 the it stays there and i cant get more points -
i am a veteran rpg player and i dont know if its a bug ot something new to me in the rules of the game -

thank u much for your help!

ohad

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
Baldur's Gate I was capped at 89,000 exp because at 90,000 exp druid becomes level 9 and gets next level of spells. At least that was the explanation that Black Isle studios gave before the game was released in 1999. Characters of certain classes can be one level higher than others because they get level 9 before the 89,000 cap. You can export your lvl 8-9 character to Baldur's Gate II and if you get the cool expansion Throne of Bhaal your character can become level 30 or higher.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
It's awesome to hear that people out there are still playing BG 1 (which is easily one of the best RPGs of all time). Just as a challenge for you to try out, as an RPG expert, try multi-classing your character to get the most from the 89k cap. I haven't played in years but I remember being able to max out a character class after multi-classing. It made the game a little bit more difficult because you'll switch classes mid-game and suck for a while :)

El_Torro

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Baldur's Gate is capped at 89,000 xp.
Baldur's Gate with Tales of the Sword Coast (the expansion pack) is capped at 161,000 xp.

By the way, if you enjoy Baldur's Gate you should definitely play Baldur's Gate II and its expansion Throne of Bhaal. It continues the story of the first one and is technically a superior game (though some people prefer the first one).

Jurosem

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Some people prefer the first one? It's hard to imagine why. It's a great game of course, but the second one is pretty much the same except it's so much bigger and there's so much more of everything. BGII, to this day the best game I've ever played. Definately get a hold of it if you haven't played it, you can now get a boxed set with all four components of the series (BG1, BG2, plus the expansions for both) really cheap.