i've tried searching the thread but this site is so damn slow it took 15 minutes just to load this page up. jsyk if this is a repeating question.

i suspect my motherboard has pretty much reached it's soon to be death. The chipset fan already went on it and had to replace it and now it appears the raid controller is going.

sooo time to do some motherboard shopping.

I looked at the umm .. SOYO something ... crap i gotta look it up ... ahh here it is ... SOYO Dragon Ultra KT333 MB with USB 2.0,Sound, LAN Retail. ... i read the review and it looks pretty sweet. onboard stuff so i can get rid of what is in my computer now but the videocard. I hear the onboard sound is onpar with creative? *shrugs* ... doesn't matter i don't play quake 3 anyway ... i heard the gigabyte board doesn't have cpu heat protection so thats out of the question ... the soyo board does. Abit board doesn't have USB 2.0 on it.

so .. what do you guys think of it?

thanks!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Here are the motherboards I'd currently consider for an Athlon:

<b>Abit KX7-333</b> - $95
Simple, should be tweakable and stable. Not much to talk about.

<b>Abit AT7</b> - $153
No legacy, only USB and firewire. Built in LAN and sound (don't know what type), plenty of USB and IDE. Only three PCI slots. Great overclocker.

<b>Epox 8K3a</b> - $89
Simple, good overclocker. Not much else to say.

<b>Gigabyte GA-7VRXP</b> - $108
USB2.0 and networking on board; dual BIOS and no Northbridge fan to fail.

<b>MSI SiS745 Ultra</b> - $65
Fast, stable, cheap. Nothing much in the way of features, however.

<b>Soyo Dragon Ultra KT333</b> - $148
Onboard USB2.0, sound and network. Fruity looking PCI slots.

Normally I can look around at boards and recommend one over the others. I'm having a tougher choice now, it's tough to decide on which one I'd go for.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I've got the Soyo Dragon Ultra KT266A flavor, and I'll tell you that for me, it's been stable as a rock. I wouldn't hesitate to go for the KT333 version. IMHO.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

blah ...well .. i have no idea what happenend but it works now? went home yesterday and tested it some more and then it worked. .. even xp which had the drivers already built in couldn't see the drive ... only thing i can think of is that the zip drive was causing the problem because i had the disconnected.

it's weird ... so no need to buy a mobo ... i wanna save up for a few things. like war3 and moo3 also i want a HP 960 printer and i want visual.net and a dvd-writer ... expensive stuff .... wanna try and stay away from a mobo and cpu upgrade ... wait till next year for that ... also i want the all in wonder radeon R300 (or whatever they name it)

*shrugs*

oh i tried installing win2k and i noticed it won't let you do a quick format but you can still formt in setup. win2k didn't work too! mouse wouldn't work lol... i had 3 copies and none of them worked so had to switch back to xp. doh

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>