Missing Windows Components in XP Home

May 14, 2004 1:02:38 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a Dell 5150 notebook that came with Widows XP Home
Edition. This is my first experience with XP - my desktop still uses
98 - so I'm something of a novice with it.

Anyway, after playing around with it for a couple weeks I've noticed
something odd...several of the Windows components that are supposed to
be there seem to be missing. WordPad, Sound Recorder, Volume Control,
HyperTerminal, and the Pinball game are all missing. And by that I
don't mean I can't find them, I mean they aren't there! For example,
when I type "wordpad" at the Run line, I get an error message that
says "Windows cannot find WordPad". And when I click the box in the
Control Panel audio and sounds module that says "Place volume icon on
the taskbar" I get an error message that says "The volume control
program has not been installed". Same for the other accessory-type
programs I mentioned above...they aren't installed.

Here's the weird thing: when I go to Add/Remove Programs, and then
Add/Remove Windows Components, in the list that opens up of Windows
components to add or remove, none of the missing programs are listed
as a choice! Yes, I clicked the Details button until I was certain I
had seen the complete list. I even inserted the XP reinstallation CD,
and ran the Add/Remove Windows Components from there, but again, none
of these components is listed as a choice.

I can't figure this one out. Has anybody else had this problem? I'm
sure these components are supposed to be part of the XP package. I can
even find the compressed files for the programs on the installation
disc and on the hard drive in the I386 subfolder. But If I can't
install these programs using the Add/Remove Windows Components
utility, how can I install them?

Thanks,

Allen
May 14, 2004 2:15:42 PM

Here is a thought---CALL DELL!

Testy

"Allen" <helmwal@tds.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a Dell 5150 notebook that came with Widows XP Home
> Edition. This is my first experience with XP - my desktop still uses
> 98 - so I'm something of a novice with it.
>
> Anyway, after playing around with it for a couple weeks I've noticed
> something odd...several of the Windows components that are supposed to
> be there seem to be missing. WordPad, Sound Recorder, Volume Control,
> HyperTerminal, and the Pinball game are all missing. And by that I
> don't mean I can't find them, I mean they aren't there! For example,
> when I type "wordpad" at the Run line, I get an error message that
> says "Windows cannot find WordPad". And when I click the box in the
> Control Panel audio and sounds module that says "Place volume icon on
> the taskbar" I get an error message that says "The volume control
> program has not been installed". Same for the other accessory-type
> programs I mentioned above...they aren't installed.
>
> Here's the weird thing: when I go to Add/Remove Programs, and then
> Add/Remove Windows Components, in the list that opens up of Windows
> components to add or remove, none of the missing programs are listed
> as a choice! Yes, I clicked the Details button until I was certain I
> had seen the complete list. I even inserted the XP reinstallation CD,
> and ran the Add/Remove Windows Components from there, but again, none
> of these components is listed as a choice.
>
> I can't figure this one out. Has anybody else had this problem? I'm
> sure these components are supposed to be part of the XP package. I can
> even find the compressed files for the programs on the installation
> disc and on the hard drive in the I386 subfolder. But If I can't
> install these programs using the Add/Remove Windows Components
> utility, how can I install them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Allen

---
May 30, 2004 3:05:04 PM

On Fri, 14 May 2004 09:02:38 -0500, Allen <helmwal@tds.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I recently bought a Dell 5150 notebook that came with Widows XP Home
>Edition. This is my first experience with XP - my desktop still uses
>98 - so I'm something of a novice with it.
>
>Anyway, after playing around with it for a couple weeks I've noticed
>something odd...several of the Windows components that are supposed to
>be there seem to be missing. WordPad, Sound Recorder, Volume Control,
>HyperTerminal, and the Pinball game are all missing. And by that I
>don't mean I can't find them, I mean they aren't there! For example,
>when I type "wordpad" at the Run line, I get an error message that
>says "Windows cannot find WordPad". And when I click the box in the
>Control Panel audio and sounds module that says "Place volume icon on
>the taskbar" I get an error message that says "The volume control
>program has not been installed". Same for the other accessory-type
>programs I mentioned above...they aren't installed.
>
>Here's the weird thing: when I go to Add/Remove Programs, and then
>Add/Remove Windows Components, in the list that opens up of Windows
>components to add or remove, none of the missing programs are listed
>as a choice! Yes, I clicked the Details button until I was certain I
>had seen the complete list. I even inserted the XP reinstallation CD,
>and ran the Add/Remove Windows Components from there, but again, none
>of these components is listed as a choice.
>
>I can't figure this one out. Has anybody else had this problem? I'm
>sure these components are supposed to be part of the XP package. I can
>even find the compressed files for the programs on the installation
>disc and on the hard drive in the I386 subfolder. But If I can't
>install these programs using the Add/Remove Windows Components
>utility, how can I install them?

Heres how to install them:

1. Open Explorer
2. Browse into C:\Windows\Inf
3. Locate Write.inf
4. Right click it, select Install from pop up menu
5. Insert XP CD if asked for it.
6. Locate multimed.inf
7. Right click it, select Install from pop up menu
8. Locate Pinball.inf
9. Right click it, Select Install from pop up menu
10. Locate communic.inf
11. Right click it, Select Install from pop up menu
12. Now check Start, Programs, Accessories and new programs should
appear.

Peter Hutchison
Windows FAQ
http://www.pcguru.plus.com/