laptop wifi g help needed

I am totally stumped at the moment. The situation as best I can describe it
is this ....

Bought a wifi pci card for my pc and got an ipaq with a cf wifi card.
Connected to the pc to use inet access and access to files. Worked fine.
Bought a ibm thinkpad second hand with win 98se and got an octopus / realtek
pcmcia wifi b card and connected to the pc easily.

Have now got a new advent 7039 with a built in intersil prism wifi g. This
wont connect to my pc at all and I have had to put in my pcmcia card to get
wireless access.

So what am I doing wrong ? What setting am I missing ? When I click on the
monitor with the x on it it says wireless networks available, shows my
network I click connect but nothing happens. My advent is using xp home. My
pc xp pro. I must be missing a setting somewhere along the line but I cant
figure out what. The network id is "mypc" which the computer finds. I have
got both computers in the same workgroup " work ".

The problem is Im not really a network person but I found it so easy to get
access before. Now this has me stumped. I have the right channel set and I
click scan but all it keeps saying is " associating "

Can anyone help as Im really peeved at having to use a pcmcia card when I
have a wifi g built in.

Many thanks in advance.

Do you have WEP/WPA disabled? I would try connecting that way first. If it
works you probably have an error in the password on one side or the other.
Dave G

"Surfsup" <surfsup@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am totally stumped at the moment. The situation as best I can describe
it
> is this ....
>
> Bought a wifi pci card for my pc and got an ipaq with a cf wifi card.
> Connected to the pc to use inet access and access to files. Worked fine.
> Bought a ibm thinkpad second hand with win 98se and got an octopus /
realtek
> pcmcia wifi b card and connected to the pc easily.
>
> Have now got a new advent 7039 with a built in intersil prism wifi g. This
> wont connect to my pc at all and I have had to put in my pcmcia card to
get
> wireless access.
>
> So what am I doing wrong ? What setting am I missing ? When I click on the
> monitor with the x on it it says wireless networks available, shows my
> network I click connect but nothing happens. My advent is using xp home.
My
> pc xp pro. I must be missing a setting somewhere along the line but I cant
> figure out what. The network id is "mypc" which the computer finds. I have
> got both computers in the same workgroup " work ".
>
> The problem is Im not really a network person but I found it so easy to
get
> access before. Now this has me stumped. I have the right channel set and I
> click scan but all it keeps saying is " associating "
>
> Can anyone help as Im really peeved at having to use a pcmcia card when I
> have a wifi g built in.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Sussed it. Didnt realise there was a hardware button to turn on the internal
wifi and it was disabled by default. Switched it on and hey presto. Still
had to twiddle a few settings and then it was great.

Thanks for the help.

On Saturday, "Surfsup" wrote:

> Sussed it. Didnt realise there was a hardware button to turn
> on the internal wifi and it was disabled by default.

I had the same problem - Advent 7041 - and spent hours trying to
work out why it kep saying my network card was unplugged. It's not
in the manual or anything but I noticed the symbol for the wireless
signal by the power light matched the symbol on the F1 key....so an
ALT+F1 and away it went!

--
Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com>