XP Pro Very Unusual Problem!

BDuncan

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I have a pretty strange situation that I'm racking my brain over.

I have a custom build PC with the following components that I built for a customer last year:

Leadtek 7350 Motherboard
Duron 1.2 Ghz Proc
256MB of Kingston DDR 2400
Maxtor 20GB HD
Lite-On CDRW
300 Enermax PSU in an Enermax can with side fan and blow-hole.
NVidia Vanta 32MB Video (El-Cheapo)

Here's the problem, PC boots, POSTS, everything is normal gets to the login screen, type in the password and it reboots itself. Everytime it reboots it goes through the checkdisk procedure and everything seems fine, no problems, no files truncated, ect.. but once it's done with checkdisk, goes to the login screen, type in the password - reboot, it's a never ending cycle.

Here's what I done so far to troubleshoot:
Boot into safe mode, checked the event viewer, nothing out of the ordinary in Application or System logs. Deleted the profile, cleaned the registry and all the "trash" in the temp folders under Windows and Local folders. Create a new user under accounts, reboot. Log in under the new account, success! Reboot again to confirm and it goes back to the rebooting cycle again.

I have the HD split into two partitions, I've moved the page file to the other partition along with all the inportant data, I start the XP installation - fresh install - Fdisk, format ect. The OS goes in with no problems, I install drivers, software, tweaks, ect and rebooting a couple of times in this process. I shut down the PC, give it back to my customer, they take it home, power it up and does the same thing as before, they bring it back to me and sure enough, it's in a reboot stage right after the password is entered.

I've been working with XP since the RC1 beta versions and I have never seen this before especially after a fresh installation of XP Pro with SP1. If it's hardware, I have no idea what to even narrow that search down to - any thoughts, ideas, or wild theories are welcome and appreciated.

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Hmm...maybe check the RAM. Make sure it is seated properly and if possible put it in a working system and run some tests.

....WW (4.0)

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Not sure if it will help...but my rebooting XP Home problem solution was found at <A HREF="http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/" target="_new">http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/</A>

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS