Sign in with
Your question
Closed

steam problem- lost booth password and secret answer :/

Last response: in Video Games
August 15, 2006 3:44:13 PM

Hello all. Ive got problem with steam. I've lost my password andthe damn sercer answer.. I send request to steam support and have this as answer:

"Unfortunately, we were unable to review your request for assistance because the e-mail address you are using is not associated with a Steam Support account. Create a new Steam Support account: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cf..."

I've tried to make support account and denied- it tells me that my email is already connected with an account :|

I wrote back to steam support but thet don't reply yet.

Please tell me what can i do to get new password or acces my steam other way( without loosing money for new account ..)

thanks in advance, regards, gs
August 15, 2006 4:56:22 PM

Why on earth did you set yourself a secret question that you wouldn't remember the answer to? :roll:
August 15, 2006 5:08:06 PM

Please help, if U can't help me or tell something usefull, just don't post :idea:
Related resources
August 15, 2006 8:40:39 PM

Steam is very picky when it comes to account handeling. If you can't remember the password or your answer then you're screwed. Valve isn't going to help you and asking this on the steam forums will get you flammed severely, even if it is an honest mistake. I suggest saving your pennies up for a new account, becuase that one's damned.
Anonymous
August 15, 2006 9:49:01 PM

Oh gosh; if you are not able to use the password retrieval function you cannot be helped at all.

Go and cry.
August 16, 2006 4:36:59 PM

what the hell is the blank post above??!!

pleae help me with steam.. can i do anything when lost password and secret answer?
August 17, 2006 1:32:56 PM

they send me this now:

"Dear Steam user (account name: xxxxx),

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration to help you reset your Steam password.

Please enter the following code into the 'Verification Code' field of the 'Forgotten Password' dialog. (Enter the code exactly as written. You can use copy/paste operations to enter the code):

xxxxxxx

Please also enter the *answer* to the following question into the 'Secret Answer' field of the same dialog:

What did customer support last reset your passphrase to?

last time they ask another secret question, what about that?
August 17, 2006 2:18:35 PM

No you can do nothing at all... you really think you can retrieve an account you do not have a password for or security question with out going through steam… Honestly are you missing a few marbles up stairs or are you just someone that wants to play HL2 for free…

The only way you will ‘EVER’ get your steam games back is by going through the proper channels that valve supply. Using what I would guess is personal details for your account like CD keys you used to activate games or credit card details you used. Please don’t give these out before you are asked.

Next time don’t be stupid and set your security question to something you will always remember.
August 17, 2006 2:20:02 PM

No you can do nothing at all... you really think you can retrieve an account you do not have a password for or security question with out going through steam… Honestly are you missing a few marbles up stairs or are you just someone that wants to play HL2 for free…

The only way you will ‘EVER’ get your steam games back is by going through the proper channels that valve supply. Using what I would guess is personal details for your account like CD keys you used to activate games or credit card details you used. Please don’t give these out before you are asked.

Next time don’t be daft and set your security question to something you will always remember.
August 17, 2006 7:38:22 PM

if i wanted play for free- how would i get username and my email registered in steam??
August 21, 2006 12:30:50 AM

Without password support its useless. Try calling them if they have a phone number.
Anonymous
November 7, 2008 7:56:33 PM

Quote:
Oh gosh; if you are not able to use the password retrieval function you cannot be helped at all.

Go and cry.

^^^^
Whoever typed this is a fool because when I send a lost password request I don't get the Freaking E-mail :o  EXPLAIN THAT THEN MY SMART ARSE! :fou:  :fou:  STEAM YOU SUCK FOR ACCOUNT HANDELING :pfff:  :pfff: 
Anonymous
January 25, 2009 8:57:04 AM

I have a problem guys :(  i bought Half-Life 2 3 years ago and i have forgot my Username and Password now how can i get that back?
please help me
Anonymous
January 25, 2009 8:58:34 AM

I have a prob guys i bought Half-Life 2 3 years ago......and now that i wanna play it agein i forgot my Username and Password.......can some1 help me ?
January 26, 2009 1:48:25 PM

Hmmm, this is probably one of the most moronic threads I have seen in awhile. Amazes me when people post here about losing passwords and answers to secret questions to something when they should be working it out with the company they "applied" to. The fact they are posting here seems to tell me they didn't have one to begin with and are trying to find a way to get someone else's.
January 26, 2009 8:44:31 PM

I've lost my credit card. Could someone help me remember the number on it? I think there were some 6s in there.
I tried buying some hats at shop, but without the Credit card number, they wouldn't sell me the hats.

HELP!!!!!!!!!
January 26, 2009 9:46:25 PM

Dude, if you get a billing charged to an asian lady called Tommy just ignore it.
January 27, 2009 8:11:24 PM

Quote:
Ignore it?

I probably won't notice it amongst the rest of them.

LOL :na: 
January 29, 2009 4:06:48 PM

so... let me get this straight... you're trying to gain access to a steam account, which:

- you don't know the password to,
- you don't know the secret question/answer to,
- and it appears that Valve has already reset "your" password for "you" at least once in the past, and you don't remember what that was either?

Furthermore, when asking Valve to give you the password, you aren't even using the same email account on which "you" registered it?

Are you serious?? Please tell me this isn't a serious question. Why don't you take a break, sit down, and think about what you're asking. You have no way to prove that you are the owner of that account. Valve is not going to give you that password, and I would certainly not either.
Anonymous
March 19, 2009 8:48:57 PM

dude you are seriously F'ed in the head....its a simple question hes asking.....quit being so accusive of him trying to steal an account.... What he says makes sense....IDIOTS!!!! :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 
lake393 said:
so... let me get this straight... you're trying to gain access to a steam account, which:

- and it appears that Valve has already reset "your" password for "you" at least once in the past, and you don't remember what that was either?

Furthermore, when asking Valve to give you the password, you aren't even using the same email account on which "you" registered it?

Are you serious?? Please tell me this isn't a serious question. Why don't you take a break, sit down, and think about what you're asking. You have no way to prove that you are the owner of that account. Valve is not going to give you that password, and I would certainly not either.

March 19, 2009 9:12:39 PM

I ran into this problem a week ago. What I did was I clicked the "lost password" thing when I opened up steam. And then when it asked me for the email address I used to register I just started typing in ALL the email addresses I've used. Waited maybe 30 minutes then checked all of the addresses. I eventually found the right email address with my user name. Then I went back to steam typed in the username in the "lost password" place and then they emailed me my password.
April 19, 2009 8:08:53 AM

hey, ive got this as well, but i think i made a typo with my secret answer :(  where exactly did u go, cause i can't find what you refered to...
Anonymous
May 1, 2009 11:52:04 PM

try starting to make a new steam account then look through the questions they allow you to answer then figure what you would've put in as one.. then stop
June 15, 2009 7:18:14 PM

hey i have the same issue.. I forgotten my password so i tried to retrieve it via email and got all the info like verification code, but when it comes to secret question I totally have no clue what the answer is. The secret question is way different to what I remember, because what I remember, the secret answer I have for the secret question is my account name and it won't work at all.
June 16, 2009 10:59:17 AM

I had the same issue, if you have proof of purchase, cd keys, paypal reciepts etc, you should be fine, otherwise, you're probably screwed.
June 16, 2009 11:40:19 PM

Everybody is trolling and not helping.

The solution is simple.

Prove that you own the email linked to your Steam ID and work it out from there.

Also to that person who has the CD key but no Steam anything.

Call up Steam support and use the CD key as proof of purchase to get back your account.

This method is can also be used when your account gets stolen.
June 18, 2009 12:41:06 PM

you can call valve technical support and most likely they will ask you proof of games you purchased like cd keys and receipt's ( email receipts they sent you if you buy a game from steam ). If you have those proofs they usually recover your account in 1-2 weeks time ( i had a friend same think happened to him)
and next time put a secret question you know the answer to
Also if you wrote to steam support and havent answer you back give them a little time ( in my friends case they answered him after 2 weeks) besides there are 25million people using steam and they cant process every request immediately
June 18, 2009 2:51:38 PM

I had the same issue with my copy of Half-Life 2, so what you need to do is create a new account.
Then on the back of the sleeve where the activation/ serial number is write the email address of the email account associated with the steam account you just created. I think you have to fax it to Valve.
They will then associate the game with that account.
This is in their FAQs section.

If you don't have that information then go buy the game again. It's not that expensive.
July 3, 2009 3:46:56 AM

pandaking23 said:
I ran into this problem a week ago. What I did was I clicked the "lost password" thing when I opened up steam. And then when it asked me for the email address I used to register I just started typing in ALL the email addresses I've used. Waited maybe 30 minutes then checked all of the addresses. I eventually found the right email address with my user name. Then I went back to steam typed in the username in the "lost password" place and then they emailed me my password.

well it told me put the verification code.. i did the secret question was... what did steam send you past passphrase?

help me

send me an email at omranhot@hotmail.com
Anonymous
September 5, 2009 6:50:37 AM

lake393 said:

Dude f**K all of you defending steam, im in the exact same boat, I just bought fear 2, and during the automatic update it froze, when it restarted for some reason stupid f**king steam lost my password (i had the box checked remember by password for 6 months, how the hell am i suppose to remember what i used 6 months ago). Then I go to "reset password" and it send me a confirmation code to my email. I go to reset it and it asks me what "my secret answer is" well why don't you f**king tell me what the question is. I don't know maybe we can start with a question first. I set it up 6 months ago, this isnt maya 3d or some 7000 dollar business application its a game i got on clearance at target for 20 bucks. What the f**k? Are all you so brain dead that you think its the customers fault who paid money for a product and cant access it. There is no technical support number, delayed responses. You out there defending steam are a bunch of f**king nut jobs, and I'm scared for america.
Anonymous
September 7, 2009 9:48:22 PM

I made my steam account as soon as it was released (being a cs addict from the start). That's quite some years ago, and in all these years I used the same password (though only put in a secret answer ONCE like 6 years ago?)..

I played a couple of years more, got bored with it and after a few years I started playing again (bought l4d etc.), played that game for a while and quitted again (busy with work).

The time I quitted my pc got infected by this mean network virus (hurrah sisters!). I changed my pass several times and guess what happend, its none of my 6 passwords I use for years now.

So either way someone changed it/stole it, or I plain forgot I dunno. Thing is I simply cannot recall my secret question. If I indeed would be playing for hours and hours everyday like many of you people (the ones that scream the hardest they will never forget there pass is cuz they are most addicted and type it in several times a day, hurrah for u people), I'd never forgot my pass indeed.

So I'm stupid too.. I don't care, if it weren't for other morons out there and people would care for more important stuff (like keeping your email safe), Steam cud just send the pass to ur email or whatever..

Anyways, I don't forsee problems since I still have all the reciepts etc. (lots of games on my steam)

But stop shouting people are morons for forgetting their password.. Like u people never forget a thing aye? pff
Anonymous
September 26, 2009 9:09:27 PM

first poster i have the same problem but one thing MY ACCOUNT LOGGED OUT BY ITSELF WHILE I WAS ON XFIRE MY STEAM JUST DIAPPEERED AND THEN I LOGGED IN WITH MY PASSWORD MY PASSWORD IS SO EASY TO REMEMBER AND THEN IT DIDNT WORK!!!
Anonymous
September 26, 2009 9:19:11 PM

UM I THINK I FOUND OUT HOW I GOT HIJACKED http://www.amazingofferonlyforu.tk/ someone on steam gave me the link and i was stupid enough to enter my account stuff 3 times cus it wasnt working then like 2 hours later i got logged out my account!!1!!!!!
September 26, 2009 9:35:33 PM

Put it down to experience as a valuable lesson learned and move on.
September 27, 2009 2:50:02 AM

Quote:
UM I THINK I FOUND OUT HOW I GOT HIJACKED http://www.amazingofferonlyforu.tk/ someone on steam gave me the link and i was stupid enough to enter my account stuff 3 times cus it wasnt working then like 2 hours later i got logged out my account!!1!!!!!

The first thing that shows up in every Steam chat window is "Never tell your password to anyone." If you ignored that, it's your problem. 2006 thread closed.
!