  • Messenger
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
May 15, 2004 2:23:51 PM

how do you stop windows messenger from showing in task bar by clock when you
open outlook express.

--
Regards, John

"I want to go to Heaven but I want to catch the last bus"
www.oxyjon.myby.co.uk

More about : windows messenger

Anonymous
May 15, 2004 2:23:52 PM

Oxy wrote:
> how do you stop windows messenger from showing in task bar by clock
> when you open outlook express.

You can either edit the registry or you can simply open it, select
Tools->Options->General and uncheck the boxes that load it at startup.

--
<- Shenan ->
May 15, 2004 2:45:13 PM

check box already clear but still shows messenger in outlook express
"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Oxy wrote:
> > how do you stop windows messenger from showing in task bar by clock
> > when you open outlook express.
>

> You can either edit the registry or you can simply open it, select
> Tools->Options->General and uncheck the boxes that load it at startup.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --
> The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
> completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
> kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
> advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.

May 15, 2004 2:45:14 PM

Oxy wrote:
> check box already clear but still shows messenger in outlook express

In OE select Tools, Options. On the General tab make sure that
"automatically log on to Windows Messenger" is not checked. Also turn of
the contacts view as that causes messenger to load also. To turn off the
contacts view select View, Layout and remove the check from Contacts, or
just click the little [x] in the upper right corner of the contacts list.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP MCE

May 15, 2004 2:45:14 PM

Oxy wrote:
> check box already clear but still shows messenger in outlook express

Then I would have looked into the registry entries I mentioned to you for
disabling MSN or Windows Messenger..
Perhaps through a Google search.
One that I did FOR you produced..

Windows Messenger:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-5029643-2.html
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/989

MSN Messenger:
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php?id=981
http://www.petri.co.il/disable_windows_messenger_in_win...

--
<- Shenan ->
May 15, 2004 4:41:34 PM

Thanks for the help, removed check in contacts as you stated and worked
fine.

--

"Tom Porterfield" <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Oxy wrote:
> > check box already clear but still shows messenger in outlook express
>
> In OE select Tools, Options. On the General tab make sure that
> "automatically log on to Windows Messenger" is not checked. Also turn of
> the contacts view as that causes messenger to load also. To turn off the
> contacts view select View, Layout and remove the check from Contacts, or
> just click the little [x] in the upper right corner of the contacts list.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP MCE
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

May 15, 2004 4:43:59 PM

Thanks for all your help, very appreciated.Problem solved following Tom's
advice.
--

!