one easy question

Can someone please tell me what java is and do I need it for my computer? Thanks in advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about easy question

    Wondering....

    That's a rather big question - basically, Java is a programming language
    that developers use to create applications. These applications can run on
    any operating system, including but not limited to Linux, Unix, MacOS and
    Windows. A Virtual Machine is installed on each computer that runs Java
    (this is a piece of software that you don't physically have to run each
    time, it automatically runs). When you go to certain websites that are Java
    enabled, this basically means that the site was developed using Java. A
    good site to look at is www.javasoft.com. Do you "need" it - one could say
    yes and no. It just depends on what you are doing. My assumption is that
    since you don't actually know what it is, I'd say right now that you don't
    need it. However, you can go to javasoft's site and download and install
    the JRE (the Java Virtual Machine - Java Runtime Environment) onto you
    computer and it will "run" when necessary.

    I hope this helps.

    Doug
    "wondering" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone please tell me what java is and do I need it for my computer?
    > Thanks in advance.

    Thanks Doug for the info.

Computers Java Microsoft Windows XP