Wondering

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

Can someone please tell me what java is and do I need it for my computer? Thanks in advance.

Wondering....

That's a rather big question - basically, Java is a programming language
that developers use to create applications. These applications can run on
any operating system, including but not limited to Linux, Unix, MacOS and
Windows. A Virtual Machine is installed on each computer that runs Java
(this is a piece of software that you don't physically have to run each
time, it automatically runs). When you go to certain websites that are Java
enabled, this basically means that the site was developed using Java. A
good site to look at is www.javasoft.com. Do you "need" it - one could say
yes and no. It just depends on what you are doing. My assumption is that
since you don't actually know what it is, I'd say right now that you don't
need it. However, you can go to javasoft's site and download and install
the JRE (the Java Virtual Machine - Java Runtime Environment) onto you
computer and it will "run" when necessary.

I hope this helps.

Doug