File Signature Verification

I have done as many file scans as i can with the File Signature Verification program in Windows XP Home Edition and have found 8199 unsigned files.I browsed through some files and opened them with notepad .I saw several files with symbols mixed with words in them dating back to the first days when I first owned the computer. Then I was too naive to have had an antivirus ,since I have Norton Antivirus 2004 . Would those words mixed with symbols be legitimate programs or virus or the suchlike? Symantecs website test removed 3 Sasser type D 's from the computer according to their report but I have since removed a certificate with a big yellow triangle and exclamation mark from the certificates. Can and should I do something with those symbols?Thankyouse
7 answers Last reply
More about file signature verification

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 07:46:03 -0700, Nicholas wrote:

    > I have done as many file scans as i can with the File Signature
    > Verification program in Windows XP Home Edition and have found 8199
    > unsigned files.I browsed through some files and opened them with notepad
    > .I saw several files with symbols mixed with words in them dating
    > back to the first days when I first owned the computer. Then I was too
    > naive to have had an antivirus ,since I have Norton Antivirus 2004 .
    > Would those words mixed with symbols be legitimate programs or virus or
    > the suchlike? Symantecs website test removed 3 Sasser type D 's from the
    > computer according to their report but I have since removed a
    > certificate with a big yellow triangle and exclamation mark from the
    > certificates. Can and should I do something with those
    > symbols?Thankyouse

    While I can understand the desire to make sure that files are what they
    should be after a virus infection -- not all files are meant to be opened
    by humans. Impossible to say if the mix of text and numbers is "okay" or
    not but it's not unusual to see them if you do manage to open a program or
    system file with Notepad.

    I'm not sure I would use the file signature verification tool either. Not
    all files, even Microsoft's, are digitally signed. Instead, I would use
    System File Checker and re-apply updates.

    Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
    (Sfc.exe)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    I have looked at Article kb310747 . Can you tell me are the 3 scans , sfc/scannow , sfc/scanonce and sfc/scanboot used the same way in the Check Disk as they would be used from the RUN Command ? And am I correct to think Check Disk would be used to replace corrupted files after having had an intrusion into the system?I had to remove a file reported as unvarified by Microsoft and did experience a sudden shutdown.

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 17:16:02 -0700, Nicholas wrote:

    > I have looked at Article kb310747 . Can you tell me are the 3 scans ,
    > sfc/scannow , sfc/scanonce and sfc/scanboot used the same way in the
    > Check Disk as they would be used from the RUN Command ? And am I correct
    > to think Check Disk would be used to replace corrupted files after
    > having had an intrusion into the system?I had to remove a file reported
    > as unvarified by Microsoft and did experience a sudden shutdown.

    Open a command prompt window. Type
    sfc /scannow

    System File Checker will check the system files. Replace them if necessary.
    You may be prompted during the process for your Windows CD.

    If you run into a wall with the CD, direct SFC to the i386 folder. I have
    Service Pack 1 installed on top of the original XP and sometimes get
    prompted by SFC for the Service Pack files. When/if that happens, I select
    (or type in the path to) C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles and click OK.

    If SFC's progress flies by and it finishes without prompting you at all,
    it's reasonably safe to assume that your core Windows files are fine.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    I could not RUN sfc/scannow or RUN C:\Windows\Service Pack Files . And I tried putting the Windows CD Rom in the drive .Thankyou

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 19:51:03 -0700, Nicholas wrote:

    > I could not RUN sfc/scannow or RUN C:\Windows\Service Pack Files . And I
    > tried putting the Windows CD Rom in the drive .Thankyou

    Put a space between sfc and /scannow:
    sfc /scannow

    Also, I forgot to mention before that you need to be logged on with an
    account in the administrator group to use the SFC tool.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Thanks for your advice. Since that I have reinstalled XP Home Edition because I had difficulty loading downloaded drivers.My last attempt appears to have been successful and the display is better than previous display appearances.And I do not think I had spaces between the sfc , the / , and the scannow . I hope I will remember if I need to try that RUN in the future , thankyou , Nicholas .

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 04:51:02 -0700, Nicholas wrote:

    > Thanks for your advice. Since that I have reinstalled XP Home Edition
    > because I had difficulty loading downloaded drivers.My last attempt
    > appears to have been successful and the display is better than previous
    > display appearances.And I do not think I had spaces between the sfc ,
    > the / , and the scannow . I hope I will remember if I need to try
    > that RUN in the future , thankyou , Nicholas .

    You're most welcome, Nicholas. Good luck with your renewed setup.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Windows XP