HP Scanner on WinXP....not working under user logon

fear

I have a Windows XP machine with a HP Scanjet 3500c, and when I
install the software for it, I can only install it under Admin, then
when I try to run it when logged in as the regular user, it says I
have to be admin to use it. Is there any way around this? I've done
what one HP service rep told me and changed the properties of the HP
folder to what is supposed to work, but it still does not work. There
next suggestion was to install it under the user login, but it won't
let me do that.

Greg

Scott

gregf@kcls.org (fear) wrote in message news:<ceb367c.0404012212.2ff8413c@posting.google.com>...
> I have a Windows XP machine with a HP Scanjet 3500c, and when I
> install the software for it, I can only install it under Admin, then
> when I try to run it when logged in as the regular user, it says I
> have to be admin to use it. Is there any way around this? I've done
> what one HP service rep told me and changed the properties of the HP
> folder to what is supposed to work, but it still does not work. There
> next suggestion was to install it under the user login, but it won't
> let me do that.
>
> Greg

Hello,

I had a similar issue with a psc2510. The Admin account could print
but a limited account could not. For some strange reason, any user
account you want to be able to print to the printer must be either in
the Administrator or Power user groups. This fixed the problem on my
printer and may help with yours.

SL

One would hope that HP would issue a correction for this stupidity, either a
patch or (perish the thought) a whole new version. I find it hard to imagine
that some HP software designer or programmer or product tester did not catch
this problem. Um, yeah, people other than Administrators and Power Users want
to scan, too.

I suspect that there is a way to hack the registry to allow normal users to
scan, but the registry remains inscrutable at best. I would not try to hack it.

Several years ago, a version of Nero CD burning software suffered from the same
glaring error. Nero (Ahead Software) DID issue a patch to fix the problem under
the NT family of products...

On 9 Apr 2004 13:32:25 -0700, slingeman@charter.net (Scott) wrote:

>gregf@kcls.org (fear) wrote in message news:<ceb367c.0404012212.2ff8413c@posting.google.com>...
>> I have a Windows XP machine with a HP Scanjet 3500c, and when I
>> install the software for it, I can only install it under Admin, then
>> when I try to run it when logged in as the regular user, it says I
>> have to be admin to use it. Is there any way around this? I've done
>> what one HP service rep told me and changed the properties of the HP
>> folder to what is supposed to work, but it still does not work. There
>> next suggestion was to install it under the user login, but it won't
>> let me do that.
>>
>> Greg
>
>Hello,
>
>I had a similar issue with a psc2510. The Admin account could print
>but a limited account could not. For some strange reason, any user
>account you want to be able to print to the printer must be either in
>the Administrator or Power user groups. This fixed the problem on my
>printer and may help with yours.
>
>SL

ch475

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Hello,

I had a similar issue with a psc2510. The Admin account could print
but a limited account could not. For some strange reason, any user
account you want to be able to print to the printer must be either in
the Administrator or Power user groups. This fixed the problem on my
printer and may help with yours.

SL

I also experienced this problem when my user account could not print but admin could print to psc2510. I resolved this issue by entering the ip address instead of the hostname in the printer settings. According to HP support this printer was designed for end users and therefore DNS resolution is not supported. This answer did not make much sense to me, but however, i can live with this workaround.

Cheers, ch475