Toshiba M200 with Intel wirless card - poor connection wit..

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a Toshiba Portege M200 with the Centrino wireless adapter
(802.11b). It works fine on most networks but for some reason on my
home network which uses a D-Link DI-514 Wireless router, the
performance is terrible with packet loss, poor response time etc.

I have upgraded the firmware in the router to 1.02 per a note on
D-Link's site which says this fixes problems with Centrino chipset
machines.

I can ping my router and get response times from a few milliseconds to
several seconds to timeouts! I have tried all the usual stuff like
preample short to long and back again. I am running 64 bit WEP but all
other machines on my home network connect fine to it.

I would upgrade the drivers for the Toshiba if I knew which ones they
were.

Thanks

Larry

Larry wrote:

> I have a Toshiba Portege M200 with the Centrino wireless adapter
> (802.11b). It works fine on most networks but for some reason on my
> home network which uses a D-Link DI-514 Wireless router, the
> performance is terrible with packet loss, poor response time etc.
>
> I have upgraded the firmware in the router to 1.02 per a note on
> D-Link's site which says this fixes problems with Centrino chipset
> machines.
>
> I can ping my router and get response times from a few milliseconds to
> several seconds to timeouts! I have tried all the usual stuff like
> preample short to long and back again. I am running 64 bit WEP but all
> other machines on my home network connect fine to it.
>
> I would upgrade the drivers for the Toshiba if I knew which ones they
> were.
>
> Thanks
>
> Larry
Here are some setting in the router the will help.
Go to the tools tab > MISC button > lower your frabmentation to 2100,
Lower your RTS to 2300, and set the preamble to long.

See if that helps.

Koho

"Koho" <coffeekid007@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Larry wrote:
>
> > I have a Toshiba Portege M200 with the Centrino wireless adapter
> > (802.11b). It works fine on most networks but for some reason on my
> > home network which uses a D-Link DI-514 Wireless router, the
> > performance is terrible with packet loss, poor response time etc.
> >
> > I have upgraded the firmware in the router to 1.02 per a note on
> > D-Link's site which says this fixes problems with Centrino chipset
> > machines.
> >
> > I can ping my router and get response times from a few milliseconds to
> > several seconds to timeouts! I have tried all the usual stuff like
> > preample short to long and back again. I am running 64 bit WEP but all
> > other machines on my home network connect fine to it.
> >
> > I would upgrade the drivers for the Toshiba if I knew which ones they
> > were.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Larry
> Here are some setting in the router the will help.
> Go to the tools tab > MISC button > lower your frabmentation to 2100,
> Lower your RTS to 2300, and set the preamble to long.
>
> See if that helps.
>
> Koho

Koho,

Could you please explain why these settings help. I'm particularly curious
since these values still exceed the 1500 octet maximum payload in Ethernet
frames.

Thanks,
Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.