HP Pav Laptop locking...

Bruce

I am looking to figure out why my HP Pavilion xf 145 laptop is locking up
randomly.
I can be doing anything (even letting the system sit idle at the login
screen) and the system will lock. This is a hard lock, no mouse, no keys
working at all.

System has XP Home installed. How can I tell if it is defective hardware or
something else?

Bruce wrote:
> I am looking to figure out why my HP Pavilion xf 145 laptop is
> locking up randomly.
> I can be doing anything (even letting the system sit idle at the login
> screen) and the system will lock. This is a hard lock, no mouse, no
> keys working at all.
>
> System has XP Home installed. How can I tell if it is defective
> hardware or something else?

Start with Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. Review
the logs for repeating errors (red) and warnings (yellow) that relate to
hardware, particularly HD, RAM. Get a can of dust cleaner or
"compressed air" at a computer store. Use this with the computer having
been off and cool for one-half hour, and blow out the fan inlet(s) and
exhaust air vent(s). This might be a cooling problem and the dust
cleaner will blow out all the accumulated dust, lint, cat fur, pizza
crusts. An overtemperature shutdown will happen with no warning and can
be accompanied by heavy HD and CPU activity. Defragging, MediaPlayer are
good tests for finding cooling problems.

"Bruce" <Newsgroups@No.SPAM.com> wrote in message
> I am looking to figure out why my HP Pavilion xf 145 laptop is locking up
> randomly.
> I can be doing anything (even letting the system sit idle at the login
> screen) and the system will lock. This is a hard lock, no mouse, no keys
> working at all.
>
> System has XP Home installed. How can I tell if it is defective hardware
or
> something else?

Well Lock Ups are a tricky thing to figure out. First off it could be a
conflict with a software program that has been installed or updated. Did you
install any software like Adobe Acrobat or Page Maker etc. ? Was the lock
ups always occurring and if so why did you not call HP (Non Help) support?
If they just started it could also be hardware related. Did you install any
new RAM or battery or any other devices no matter how slight (USB drives,
external mouse, anything?) Heat is normally the #1 reason for laptop
failures. Is your internal fan working? Again these are suggestions but
write back and let me know if the problem was found.

Elector