Windows ME Wont Boot

Garrett

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
Ive just reformatted my computer and i was restoring and updating everything. I restarted and windows did not boot up i restarted again and it did not boot up again i went in to safe mode and could not find any conflicts.
I restarted hit CTRL+ALT+DEL when windows didnt appear then it blue screened on me with a 0200 something or other VxD error or something. Ive already tried disabling the VxD files on startup but it still appears.Right now ive had to use my system restore software to rollback to a safe stage but what could be causing this problem?

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
The problem is ME.

If I obtained ME OS for free, I would use it - better than nothing.

But to purchase, NO WAY!

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
ME is constantly being uneccessarily slagged. Best systen for gaming. I've got a dual boot system and can't stand XP. It's a bloated, slower than molasses P.O.S. Enjoy your Blaster worms XP fans (cuz we can't get it).

I've only ever had the vxd problem on my 98se systems. It had to do with the NIC card.

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

Garrett

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
Ok i solved my original problem but this has gotten worse for some reason ME refuses to load completly it hangs during boot up. This has happened twice now and Ive just reformatted again for the 3rd time.Plus where can i get BIOS updateds for an Intel Solano 815 mobo this could fix my problem.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Ok, I'm a bit of nOOb here and could be wrong, but my understanding is some reformats do not erase the MBR (master boot record). Hence, I use the low level format utility from my HD manufacturer (Maxtor's Powermax or Maxblast, can't remeber which does what off the top of my head).

If your using fdisk, try the HD manufacturer's utility. IIRC, the "quick" low level reformat wipes the MBR.

Hope that helps

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
9600 Pro
Win98SE

Garrett

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
Well i reformat using a boot disk its the only way i can reformat. But no matter how many times ive reformatted windows only loads up once then it doesnt load up again normally.I go into safe mode and i still cant locate the source of the problem.My harddrive is just one of those generic ones to i dont think there will much of chance to get a utility for that.

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
have you tried re-installing the os with just your video card and no other components, then adding one at a time til you encounter a problem? honestly i dont think too much of windows me, would rather run 98se, or win2000 if i had more than 512mb of ram.

also, you can rewrite the mbr of the system disk with fdisk and the /mbr switch.

karamazov

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
ME isnt really a bad operating system. It messes up because the older computer that techinly met all the system requirments didnt have the 32 bit drivers that ME needed. So ME had to emulate them. Which causes them to be very un-stable, which in turn causes the problems that makes people hate ME so much.

As I sit up in my bed looking at all the stars, I begin to wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS MY ROOF!?

ME is complete utter crap. I'd rather use 98SE.

I've got a dual boot system and can't stand XP. It's a bloated, slower than molasses P.O.S. Enjoy your Blaster worms XP fans (cuz we can't get it).

No offense intended, but what else do you have running with XP? Runs just fine on my comp... hell it runs just fine on a PIII laptop I just installed it to.

As for the Blaster worm... if people would actually do their Windows updates like they're supposed to, they would have had NOTHING to worry about. The patch to fix the vulnerability was up on Windows Update at least a month and a half before the worm came out. Also anyone with a decent firewall wouldn't have noticed anything either. I know you love to blame XP... but it's just not the case here.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
WinME is not a good OS. You got fooled into buying it.

I would either go back to 98se or upgrade to XP if I were you.

<font color=red>___________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=39826#39826" target="_new">Sexual Poll!</A></b>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
WeenME is a much more better OS then 98SE,PE,DE,VE etc. The question is if you know how to use it and what hardware to stick into it. My first grade kid is having 0.945% (Zeero point something) issues with it for more than 2 years of playing all of his kids games and I play UT on it all the time.

PS: if you are not capable to drive the car it does not mean the car is bad.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Hey Zoron, I missed your post, and well, if you wonder back over here...

I just installed it on a another partition (NTFS or whatever), like my 98se partition nothing else on it. Games and other proggies are on a third partition.

No "tweaking" to either OS. They are on the system in my sig. Hardware s/b able to handle it.

The boot up and shut down times are much longer on XP than 98se. I put together a pretty much identical system for my father, it (XP) seems to boot up and shut just as slow on his system. So I don't think I screwed up the install on my system.

BTW: no offense taken :)

Hey, anybody - Did they (MS) ever fix the refresh rate bug like as reported here <A HREF="http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2002/01/h140102winxp_refresh.html" target="_new">http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2002/01/h140102winxp_refresh.html</A> ?
Thanks

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
9600 Pro
Win98SE<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Coyote on 04/15/04 04:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
"put w2k on the PC and "faged aboud it".

OK, yeah.... When I gotta migrate, I'm thinking now 2K is my first choice. Funny now that you say that, I don't think I've ever really heard anything bad about it.

A really good suggestion is one that when you hear it, it seems obvious and ur thinkin now why the futz did'nt I think of that!

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
9600 Pro
Win98SE