Closed

Folders always set to read only

Hello

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I am stuck !

I have a PC running Win XP, it is in a domain called Malvern with a server
running Win 2000 Server.

My problem is that when ever I create a folder on the XP machine it is
always marked read only. I have tried unsetting it and XP goes through the
routine of asking if files and folders within the top folder also need to be
reset, but the folder is still set as read only afterwards. How can I get
this folder to not be read only ? Is this a group policy problem?

Any pointer would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Derek Blakey
5 answers Last reply
More about folders read only

    "Merak Admin" <administrator@zytechsolutionsSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > Sorry if this question has been asked before but I am stuck !
    >
    > I have a PC running Win XP, it is in a domain called Malvern with a server
    > running Win 2000 Server.
    >
    > My problem is that when ever I create a folder on the XP machine it is
    > always marked read only. I have tried unsetting it and XP goes through the
    > routine of asking if files and folders within the top folder also need to
    be
    > reset, but the folder is still set as read only afterwards. How can I get
    > this folder to not be read only ? Is this a group policy problem?
    >
    > Any pointer would be appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >

    > Derek Blakey

    It is something that XP simply defaults to, but you can still make changes
    if needed on the hard drive to your folders. I know it seems like an
    irritation, but you can do what you please.

    Merak Admin wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Sorry if this question has been asked before but I am stuck !
    >
    > I have a PC running Win XP, it is in a domain called Malvern with a
    > server running Win 2000 Server.
    >
    > My problem is that when ever I create a folder on the XP machine it is
    > always marked read only. I have tried unsetting it and XP goes
    > through the routine of asking if files and folders within the top
    > folder also need to be reset, but the folder is still set as read
    > only afterwards. How can I get this folder to not be read only ? Is
    > this a group policy problem?
    >
    > Any pointer would be appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks

    Derek

    The Read Only attribute on folders in XP is by design and meaningless. This
    does not affect the attributes on the files in the folders. It does not
    prevent creating, modifying or deleting the files within..

    If you have any files with the Read Only attribute in these folders and you
    remove the Read Only attribute from the parent folder and select to include
    all of the sub-folders and files, then the files will be marked as Archived,
    but the Parent folder and all sub-folders will still show the Read Only
    attribute.

    There are some programs that are not compliant with this protocol and may
    have problems saving their files to a folder with the read only attribute.
    See the following article for the workaround.

    You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326549

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    http://www.dts-l.org
    http://www.mvps.org

    > I have a PC running Win XP, it is in a domain called Malvern with a server
    > running Win 2000 Server.
    >
    > My problem is that when ever I create a folder on the XP machine it is
    > always marked read only. I have tried unsetting it and XP goes through the
    > routine of asking if files and folders within the top folder also need to
    be
    > reset, but the folder is still set as read only afterwards. How can I get
    > this folder to not be read only ? Is this a group policy problem?

    Many thanks to you both, your suggestions have worked and the software
    coserned is now working correctly.

Read Only Windows XP