Recycle Bin - not the original icon on desktop

Hi

I recently reinstalled my Norton Internet Security 2004
on my Windows XP Home Edition by using "Selective start-
up" and checked "Load System Services". Installation was
successful but the Recycle Bin icon was replaced by a
file icon with missing functions
of "Search", "Cut", "Copy", "Delete" and "Rename".

I followed instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article 810869 ("Recycle Bin Does Not Appear on the
Desktop") yet the problem persists. Is there another way
to solve this problem?

Thank you very much!

Best regards
Quek

Hi,

Try MVP Kelly's Recycle Bin repair:

Line 64, on the right.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"Quek" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I recently reinstalled my Norton Internet Security 2004
> on my Windows XP Home Edition by using "Selective start-
> up" and checked "Load System Services". Installation was
> successful but the Recycle Bin icon was replaced by a
> file icon with missing functions
> of "Search", "Cut", "Copy", "Delete" and "Rename".
>
> I followed instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base
> Article 810869 ("Recycle Bin Does Not Appear on the
> Desktop") yet the problem persists. Is there another way
> to solve this problem?
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Best regards
> Quek

Thanks Rick!

Tried your suggestion but the problem is still there.

I recalled I might have checked "Show hidden files and
folders" and unchecked "Hide protected operating system
files" when I was reinstalling Norton Internet Security
2004. Do you think it caused the problem? Thank you
very much for your help!

Best regards
Quek

Hi,

No, those would not have affected it. I suspect the problem lies with
Norton's protected recycle bin. You may want to check with Symantec, as this
may be a known issue. http://support.symantec.com

--

> Thanks Rick!
>
> Tried your suggestion but the problem is still there.
>
> I recalled I might have checked "Show hidden files and
> folders" and unchecked "Hide protected operating system
> files" when I was reinstalling Norton Internet Security
> 2004. Do you think it caused the problem? Thank you
> very much for your help!
>
> Best regards
> Quek

Quek,

Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

1. Backup the key by exporting it to a REG file
2. Now, delete the key {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
3. Re-apply the fix suggested to you earlier.
4. Type the command REGSVR32 /i SHELL32 in the RUN box, and press Enter
5. Restart Windows.

If that does not help, post back with details - what are the context menu items you see when you right-click the Recycle Bin?

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Quek" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:db8d01c43b4c$9bb4fee0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
Thanks Rick!

Tried your suggestion but the problem is still there.

I recalled I might have checked "Show hidden files and
folders" and unchecked "Hide protected operating system
files" when I was reinstalling Norton Internet Security
2004. Do you think it caused the problem? Thank you
very much for your help!

Best regards
Quek

Dear Ramesh

Tried out your method but it still doesn't work.

Right-clicking the Recycle Bin icon shows the following
context menu items of 'Open', 'Explore', 'Empty Recycle
Bin', 'Create Shortcut' and 'Properties'.

When I clicked 'Create Shortcut', a similar Recycle Bin
icon appeared showing context menu items
of 'Open', 'Explore', 'Empty Recycle Bin', 'Send
To', 'Cut', 'Copy', 'Create Shortcut', 'Delete', 'Rename'
and 'Properties'. Hope this information helps.

Thank you very much!

Best regards
Quek

This sounds normal to me. You mean, all the Recycle Bin functionality is working but the icon is displayed as a standard folder icon? And, have you sent a note to Symantec support, as suggested earlier?

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell

"Quek" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ea9e01c43ce6$50b46200$a301280a@phx.gbl...
Dear Ramesh

Tried out your method but it still doesn't work.

Right-clicking the Recycle Bin icon shows the following
context menu items of 'Open', 'Explore', 'Empty Recycle
Bin', 'Create Shortcut' and 'Properties'.

When I clicked 'Create Shortcut', a similar Recycle Bin
icon appeared showing context menu items
of 'Open', 'Explore', 'Empty Recycle Bin', 'Send
To', 'Cut', 'Copy', 'Create Shortcut', 'Delete', 'Rename'
and 'Properties'. Hope this information helps.

Thank you very much!

Best regards
Quek

Dear Ramesh

The original Recycle Bin icon has been replaced by a
standard file icon. It doesn't look like a folder icon
to me.

When I clicked "Create Shortcut" from the icon,
another "Recycle Bin" icon also appeared as a standard
file icon, which apparently has more context menu items
than the first one. I don't know whether the context
menu items in the second icon are the normal ones for the
actual Recycle Bin.

I have contacted Symantec and I am waiting for their
reply. If their solution can resolve the problem, I will
feedback to you.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards
Quek

Dear Ramesh

Symantec's solution to the problem is to uninstall the
Norton Anti-virus programme and do a "clean" re-install.
I may try their suggestion. Thank you for your help!

Best regards
Quek

Unfortunately I don't have a system with NAV installed (in order to test). Thanks for the feedback Quek.

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org