Help Format 2nd HD

I recently installed a new hard drive, installed all software and all
systems are working properly.

I installed the old HD for additional storage and want to format it before
reformat from the systems tools menu. The error message indicated to close
any open windows or programs using the drive and try again.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Regards,

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"T" <tcstoro@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I recently installed a new hard drive, installed all software and all
> systems are working properly.
>
> I installed the old HD for additional storage and want to format it before
> reformat from the systems tools menu. The error message indicated to
close
> any open windows or programs using the drive and try again.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!
>
> Regards,

Hi,

If I am reading you correctly, your new drive is now the drive with XP on
it, and the old drive is simply storage, and it is asking you to close other
programs and Windows to allow formatting?

Be sure you are choosing the correct drive to format, as (in most cases)
your old drive should be listed as D: in MY Computer, but may be named
another letter after you/any other CDROM devices.

Simply open My Computer, then right click on the drive in question, and
choose "format". Select the "Quick Format" box for fast, and preferrably be
sure that NTFS is the selected filing system.

The second hard drive appears as "F". "C" is my primary HD, "D" is the CD
ROM and "E" is the CD RW. When I check the properties for "F" (a 40gig HD)
it indicated there is 32MB of free space.

When I perform the step you suggested; My Computer, Selected "F" and try to
format an error message states that windows cannot format this drive. Quit
any utilities that may have access to this drive or close any open windows
displaying it and try again.

Can't figure it out. Both HDs are formattted NTSF.
"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "T" <tcstoro@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > I recently installed a new hard drive, installed all software and all
> > systems are working properly.
> >
> > I installed the old HD for additional storage and want to format it
before
> > reformat from the systems tools menu. The error message indicated to
> close
> > any open windows or programs using the drive and try again.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions!
> >
> > Regards,
>
> Hi,
>
> If I am reading you correctly, your new drive is now the drive with XP on
> it, and the old drive is simply storage, and it is asking you to close
other
> programs and Windows to allow formatting?
>
> Be sure you are choosing the correct drive to format, as (in most cases)
> your old drive should be listed as D: in MY Computer, but may be named
> another letter after you/any other CDROM devices.
>
> Simply open My Computer, then right click on the drive in question, and
> choose "format". Select the "Quick Format" box for fast, and preferrably
be
> sure that NTFS is the selected filing system.

Hi T,

Have you tried formatting that drive via Disk Management in XP? If not, give
that a try and see if it successfully formats the second drive.....go to
Start>Run and key in diskmgmt.msc click on OK or hit ENTER. In the lower
pane, scroll down (if necessary) to locate the reference to the second
drive, right-click on the graphical representation of the partition and
select Format. Follow any further prompts.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

> The second hard drive appears as "F". "C" is my primary HD, "D" is the CD
> ROM and "E" is the CD RW. When I check the properties for "F" (a 40gig
HD)
> it indicated there is 32MB of free space.
>
> When I perform the step you suggested; My Computer, Selected "F" and try
> format an error message states that windows cannot format this drive. Quit
> any utilities that may have access to this drive or close any open windows
> displaying it and try again.
>
> Can't figure it out. Both HDs are formattted NTSF.
> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "T" <tcstoro@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > > I recently installed a new hard drive, installed all software and all
> > > systems are working properly.
> > >
> > > I installed the old HD for additional storage and want to format it
> before
> > > reformat from the systems tools menu. The error message indicated to
> > close
> > > any open windows or programs using the drive and try again.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any suggestions!
> > >
> > > Regards,
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > If I am reading you correctly, your new drive is now the drive with XP
on
> > it, and the old drive is simply storage, and it is asking you to close
> other
> > programs and Windows to allow formatting?
> >
> > Be sure you are choosing the correct drive to format, as (in most cases)
> > your old drive should be listed as D: in MY Computer, but may be named
> > another letter after you/any other CDROM devices.
> >
> > Simply open My Computer, then right click on the drive in question, and
> > choose "format". Select the "Quick Format" box for fast, and preferrably
> be
> > sure that NTFS is the selected filing system.

Patti,

Thanks for the suggestion. When I tried, I received the following message:
"The volume (F) Primary partition is currently in use. To force the format
of this volume, click yes. Warning: Forcing a format might cause enexpected
errors in the application that is using the volume".

I am not aware of what application may be using the volume. I disabled
Norton and Systems Works in not running in the background.

TIA,

"T"
"Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi T,
>
> Have you tried formatting that drive via Disk Management in XP? If not,
give
> that a try and see if it successfully formats the second drive.....go to
> Start>Run and key in diskmgmt.msc click on OK or hit ENTER. In the lower
> pane, scroll down (if necessary) to locate the reference to the second
> drive, right-click on the graphical representation of the partition and
> select Format. Follow any further prompts.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "T" <tcstoro@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > The second hard drive appears as "F". "C" is my primary HD, "D" is the
CD
> > ROM and "E" is the CD RW. When I check the properties for "F" (a 40gig
> HD)
> > it indicated there is 32MB of free space.
> >
> > When I perform the step you suggested; My Computer, Selected "F" and try
> > format an error message states that windows cannot format this drive.
Quit
> > any utilities that may have access to this drive or close any open
windows
> > displaying it and try again.
> >
> > Can't figure it out. Both HDs are formattted NTSF.
> > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "T" <tcstoro@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> > before
> > > close

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > If I am reading you correctly, your new drive is now the drive with XP
> on
> > > it, and the old drive is simply storage, and it is asking you to close
> > other
> > > programs and Windows to allow formatting?
> > >
> > > Be sure you are choosing the correct drive to format, as (in most
cases)
> > > your old drive should be listed as D: in MY Computer, but may be named
> > > another letter after you/any other CDROM devices.
> > >
> > > Simply open My Computer, then right click on the drive in question,
and
> > > choose "format". Select the "Quick Format" box for fast, and
preferrably
> > be
> > > sure that NTFS is the selected filing system.

You're welcome for the suggestion. Try this before attempting to format
again:
In XP, right-click on My Computer, select Properties then System Restore
tab. In the Available drives field, if there is reference to the second
drive's partition there, click on it then click on Settings button. In the
Drive (<Drive letter>) Settings dialogue box, click in the checkbox beside
"Turn off System Restore on this drive" to place a checkmark there. Click on
OK, then Apply (if available) and OK again. Restart your computer, and see
if you can now format that drive.

Regards,