Annoying beep

May 16, 2004 4:39:59 PM

Is there anyway I can stop the beeper sounding when I do something wrong,
such as trying to move the cursor upwards in Wordpad when it's already at
the top of the file. Or can I at least turn the volume down? (I can't see
any volume control on my newly acquired machine.) Waiting for that hooter to
go off is driving me nuts.

Buffalo

More about : annoying beep

Anonymous
May 16, 2004 5:46:48 PM

Hi

Try this:

Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices - and then the Sounds tab. Scroll
down the list and uncheck whatever associations you want to.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Buffalo" <nonesuch@here.com> wrote in message
| Is there anyway I can stop the beeper sounding when I do something wrong,
| such as trying to move the cursor upwards in Wordpad when it's already at
| the top of the file. Or can I at least turn the volume down? (I can't see
| any volume control on my newly acquired machine.) Waiting for that hooter
| go off is driving me nuts.
|
| Buffalo

Anonymous
May 17, 2004 3:48:51 AM

> "Buffalo" <nonesuch@here.com> wrote in message
> | Is there anyway I can stop the beeper sounding when I do something
wrong,
> | such as trying to move the cursor upwards in Wordpad when it's already
at
> | the top of the file. Or can I at least turn the volume down? (I can't
see
> | any volume control on my newly acquired machine.) Waiting for that
hooter
> | go off is driving me nuts.

> Try this:
>
> Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices - and then the Sounds tab. Scroll
> down the list and uncheck whatever associations you want to.

In the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, clicking on the "Volume" tab
tells me that there are "No Audio Devices". (Obviously a beeper doesn't
count as an audio device.) So I can't turn the volume down. Under "Sounds"
there is a long list of associations, but I do not know, for example, which
of those is responsible for causing the beeper to sound when my cursor tries
to make an illegal move in Wordpad. Any idea?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 17, 2004 3:48:52 AM

If you can't find anything where you say you are looking the the beep you
are hearing is, probably, coming from the speaker built into the case and
you can't turn that one off.

> > "Buffalo" <nonesuch@here.com> wrote in message
> > | Is there anyway I can stop the beeper sounding when I do something
> wrong,
> > | such as trying to move the cursor upwards in Wordpad when it's already
> at
> > | the top of the file. Or can I at least turn the volume down? (I can't
> see
> > | any volume control on my newly acquired machine.) Waiting for that
> hooter
> > | go off is driving me nuts.
>
> > Try this:
> >
> > Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices - and then the Sounds tab.
Scroll
> > down the list and uncheck whatever associations you want to.
>
> In the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, clicking on the "Volume" tab
> tells me that there are "No Audio Devices". (Obviously a beeper doesn't
> count as an audio device.) So I can't turn the volume down. Under "Sounds"
> there is a long list of associations, but I do not know, for example,
which
> of those is responsible for causing the beeper to sound when my cursor
tries
> to make an illegal move in Wordpad. Any idea?

Anonymous
May 17, 2004 5:01:05 AM

Sure you can.........
Cut the wires!!!!!
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 1:06:56 PM

In Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, where it says "Program Events",
highlight "Critical Stop". In the box that says "Sounds", click on the
check next to the name of the sound. You will get a drop-down box -- scroll
all the way to the top and select " (None) " . Do this for each Program
Event in the list.

steve

"Buffalo" <nonesuch@here.com> wrote in message

> > "Buffalo" <nonesuch@here.com> wrote in message
> > | Is there anyway I can stop the beeper sounding when I do something
> wrong,
> > | such as trying to move the cursor upwards in Wordpad when it's already
> at
> > | the top of the file. Or can I at least turn the volume down? (I can't
> see
> > | any volume control on my newly acquired machine.) Waiting for that
> hooter
> > | go off is driving me nuts.
>
> > Try this:
> >
> > Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices - and then the Sounds tab.
Scroll
> > down the list and uncheck whatever associations you want to.
>
> In the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, clicking on the "Volume" tab
> tells me that there are "No Audio Devices". (Obviously a beeper doesn't
> count as an audio device.) So I can't turn the volume down. Under "Sounds"
> there is a long list of associations, but I do not know, for example,
which
> of those is responsible for causing the beeper to sound when my cursor
tries
> to make an illegal move in Wordpad. Any idea?

May 18, 2004 3:41:51 AM

"joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

> "Buffalo" <nonesuch@here.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >
> > > "Buffalo" <nonesuch@here.com> wrote in message
> > wrong,
> > at
> > see
> > hooter
> >
> > > Try this:
> > >
> > > Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices - and then the Sounds tab.
> Scroll
> > > down the list and uncheck whatever associations you want to.
> >
> > In the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, clicking on the "Volume" tab
> > tells me that there are "No Audio Devices". (Obviously a beeper doesn't
> > count as an audio device.) So I can't turn the volume down. Under
"Sounds"
> > there is a long list of associations, but I do not know, for example,
> which
> > of those is responsible for causing the beeper to sound when my cursor
> tries
> > to make an illegal move in Wordpad. Any idea?
>

> In Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, where it says "Program Events",
> highlight "Critical Stop". In the box that says "Sounds", click on the
> check next to the name of the sound. You will get a drop-down box --
scroll
> all the way to the top and select " (None) " . Do this for each
Program
> Event in the list.
>

> steve

Under the tab "Sounds" in the "Program Events" the one that is responsible
for your cursor's illegal move in Wordpad is named "Standard sound" or
"Default sound" (or maybe something else, I'm translating it from Dutch to
English), the name of the file is "Windows XP Ding.wav". Select that to
"(None)" and you will not hear it anymore in Wordpad.
Anyway you can hear an example of each sound by pushing the button ">" just
on the right side of the Sounds-box at the bottom of the window.

--
JDC
Anonymous

"joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, where it says "Program Events",
> highlight "Critical Stop". In the box that says "Sounds", click on the
> check next to the name of the sound. You will get a drop-down box --
scroll
> all the way to the top and select " (None) " . Do this for each
Program
> Event in the list.

I've selected None for every item in Program Events. It hasn't made a blind
bit of difference. Every condition that caused the thing to hoot at me
before is still having the same effect. New email arrives - it hoots. Try an
illegal move in Wordpad - it hoots. Look at it in a funny way - it hoots.

rjb
!