Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I have a dell T500 PC and Dell laptop both with Win XP Home. The laptop has
a wireless card installed and I have a wireless router (Dell true mobile
2300). I connect to the internet with broadband cable. I fiddled around
and was able to use the wireless function to connect to the internet via the
mobile router. But I am unable to set up a network that allows the two
computers to sharefiles and peripherals. Do I need to install the wireless
router on both computers? (When I try that on the PC, the installation
software comes to a halt because "it can not detect an internet connection".
I confirmed it is in fact connected to the internet. I have zone alarm
running on both machines. Is this a problem? Thanks for your help.
Don

You need to set Zone alarm to allow each computer to access the other
computer.

(1) "Restore" Zone Alarm Control Center
(2) Select "Firewall"
(3) Click on ""Zones" tab
(4) Use the "Add" button to add the IP address of the other computer to
"Trusted Zone"

steve

"Don" <donraysr@mail.com> wrote in message
> I have a dell T500 PC and Dell laptop both with Win XP Home. The laptop
has
> a wireless card installed and I have a wireless router (Dell true mobile
> 2300). I connect to the internet with broadband cable. I fiddled around
> and was able to use the wireless function to connect to the internet via
the
> mobile router. But I am unable to set up a network that allows the two
> computers to sharefiles and peripherals. Do I need to install the
wireless
> router on both computers? (When I try that on the PC, the installation
> software comes to a halt because "it can not detect an internet
connection".
> I confirmed it is in fact connected to the internet. I have zone alarm
> running on both machines. Is this a problem? Thanks for your help.
> Don

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Steve,
Thanks for your help. I can now share folders. Still working on sharing
printer. A coup;e more questions, please:
Is there a way to share pst folder so that outlook message folders are
current on both machines? Also, I note that although I can share folders in
"my documents", ("sharing and security" option appears on right click), the
same is not true for individual documents (for example an individual word
document). For these individual documents, the sharing and security does
not show up on a right click. Is this normal? Thanks for your help.
Don

"joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> You need to set Zone alarm to allow each computer to access the other
> computer.
>
> (1) "Restore" Zone Alarm Control Center
> (2) Select "Firewall"
> (3) Click on ""Zones" tab
> (4) Use the "Add" button to add the IP address of the other computer to
> "Trusted Zone"
>
> steve
>
> "Don" <donraysr@mail.com> wrote in message
> > I have a dell T500 PC and Dell laptop both with Win XP Home. The laptop
> has
> > a wireless card installed and I have a wireless router (Dell true mobile
> > 2300). I connect to the internet with broadband cable. I fiddled
around
> > and was able to use the wireless function to connect to the internet via
> the
> > mobile router. But I am unable to set up a network that allows the two
> > computers to sharefiles and peripherals. Do I need to install the
> wireless
> > router on both computers? (When I try that on the PC, the installation
> > software comes to a halt because "it can not detect an internet
> connection".
> > I confirmed it is in fact connected to the internet. I have zone alarm
> > running on both machines. Is this a problem? Thanks for your help.
> > Don

Don:

Visit this site:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm

Scroll through the index and read these articles:

Q&A - File Sharing with Windows XP Home Edition

Q&A - Sharing a Printer Across the Network

> Steve,
> Thanks for your help. I can now share folders. Still working on sharing
> printer. A coup;e more questions, please:
> Is there a way to share pst folder so that outlook message folders are
> current on both machines? Also, I note that although I can share folders
in
> "my documents", ("sharing and security" option appears on right click),
the
> same is not true for individual documents (for example an individual word
> document). For these individual documents, the sharing and security does
> not show up on a right click. Is this normal? Thanks for your help.
> Don
>
> "joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > You need to set Zone alarm to allow each computer to access the other
> > computer.
> >
> > (1) "Restore" Zone Alarm Control Center
> > (2) Select "Firewall"
> > (3) Click on ""Zones" tab
> > (4) Use the "Add" button to add the IP address of the other computer
> > "Trusted Zone"
> >
> > steve
> >
> > "Don" <donraysr@mail.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a dell T500 PC and Dell laptop both with Win XP Home. The
laptop
> > has
> > > a wireless card installed and I have a wireless router (Dell true
mobile
> > > 2300). I connect to the internet with broadband cable. I fiddled
> around
> > > and was able to use the wireless function to connect to the internet
via
> > the
> > > mobile router. But I am unable to set up a network that allows the
two
> > > computers to sharefiles and peripherals. Do I need to install the
> > wireless
> > > router on both computers? (When I try that on the PC, the
installation
> > > software comes to a halt because "it can not detect an internet
> > connection".
> > > I confirmed it is in fact connected to the internet. I have zone
alarm
> > > running on both machines. Is this a problem? Thanks for your help.
> > > Don

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001