Sign in with
Your question

I'm boring...I love turn-based games!

Last response: in Video Games
August 30, 2006 4:16:06 PM

Man O Man do I miss solid fun games like X-Com and Fallout. My needs were adequately meet with the Silent Storm series, which I just fired up again a few days ago. It's a shame this game got passed over by many. Silent Storm/Sentinels truly has some great value. For some odd reason I love sitting there for hours carefully planning out a battle using cover, special arms and a few elite troops!

I've haven’t really kept up on the turn-based genre for some time now. Anyone know if there are good games of this type coming out soon? I think I saw a Jagged Alliance remake or something coming out, but have no idea if this is fiction or not lol. Anyone know if the new UFO: aftershock (Name?) will be any good. I had tried the demo of UFO: Aftermath and was very disappointed. I won't compare it to X-com, but I just had an awful time with the interface and controls.

I know Civ4 is amazing, but I’m looking for something more squad based like the above games. I tried Night Watch, but it just wasn’t for me and the reviews for Hammer & Sickle were just abysmal (anyone feel differently?).

Cheers!
August 30, 2006 5:21:27 PM

Total War series doesn't quite fit but have you played it at all?
Might find it fun.
Other than that I haven't seen much lately unfortunetely.
August 30, 2006 10:23:40 PM

there is a game that came out not so long ago , it s a space turn based game, dreadlords 2 or something like that, i played the demo, and i liked it but the demo was timed, and there are tons of upgrades in the game, was fun till the demo ended lol, hm...what about woms? :wink: lol i used to play worms world part/armageddon like crazy online when it came out lol that was fun, ....and now im out of ideas lol im more of a regular strategy game player
Related resources
August 31, 2006 1:01:39 PM

galactic civilizations was turn based I believe.
I never had it legit but I played some and honestly forget.
They have another one coming out might be worth it to look into.
August 31, 2006 1:04:57 PM

lol it already came out a long time ago lol about 3 months ago or more its galactic civ II:D readlords(if i got it right) the demo was nice.
August 31, 2006 1:32:36 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I have yet to try Galactic...I think I'll download the demo and give it a go. I'm thinking of running out and purchasing the 2nd edition of that new UFO series..I think its UFO: aftershock. I think UFO: Aftermath came first and I had a very difficult time enjoying the demo. This second game supposidly is more streamlined with better graphics. It got a 4.0 on Gamespot, but sometimes (and I mean sometimes) those reviews can be a bit off...especially if your a fan of a certain genre. Can anyone cooment on this game? Is it really just an aweful flop and the turn-base mechanics stink??

Thanks again! These forumz rule! lol
August 31, 2006 1:44:10 PM

Another thing is a lot of people really don't like turn-based.
I find the average "gamer" likes twitch based games these days.
That or the massive MMO timesinks.
So I agree some reviews can be biased.
I just remember crying myself to sleep when I bought MOO3 and it was absolutely horrible.
Biggest buyers remorse ever, and I bought it day b4 it was released(knew ppl at comp usa heh).
August 31, 2006 2:04:12 PM

i agrie, i wanted to play rise and fall:nations at war(or something like that) the reviews sucked online, but some people liked it the game is running for $49.99 that was a bit too steep for me for a game i know not much of, and that has mixed reviews, but i found it for $19.99 new and i got it, lol im still waiting for my mobo to come in to build a system to be able to play the game, but i hope it will be nice, if not i still have far cry, and battle for middle earth 2, btw in bfme2 there is a turn based game if You would be interested in playing it, i played it it was so so , im not much a fan of turn based games, but it was ok, btw have You played commandos destination berlin(and other from the series?) the game is turn based tactical squad in WWII, also there was an oldie game caled Gorky17 i think it might have a different title in the us, i used to love the game back in the days(early 2000/2002 , something lie that) the graphics were quite ok for such a game, it was also squad based,the story is this u /us troops with russian, and other european countries members are sent to a city gorky17 in which something happened (like fear/half life) and all the people in the sity are dead(or they are thought to be dead0 u are sent to investigate.... its a nice game turn based human/alien fighting, it has nice dialogs, nice equipment honestly never got to finish it, in midgame i just gave up i found it a bit too hard, and every action effected the future in the game, so lets say if u loose a high explosive expert in the game early on ull have a real hard time defeatign one of the enemies later on which u could have defeated by lets say throwing 2 dynamite sticks at :wink: , overall i thought it was a much more fun game than commandos, but yet again i played gorky earler than commandos lol...i think the game is available for full download for free somewhere, i think it might be on the publishers site i dont remember thou...hope this helped a bit
August 31, 2006 5:48:40 PM

Heroes 5 is fun, thats what I am mainly playing atm.
September 1, 2006 3:41:15 AM

yup heroes of might and magic series was ok just the exploring part sucked(in my opinion),battles/building was beter
September 1, 2006 1:04:55 PM

Quote:
yup heroes of might and magic series was ok just the exploring part sucked(in my opinion),battles/building was beter

There is always a cheap to reveal map =P
September 1, 2006 1:25:37 PM

lol its that i always liked the battles, and city upgrading, not realy that slow turnlike based "traveling" i played all of the series except the last one, and the expansions (if there were any )lolbut overall i liked the game
September 5, 2006 12:42:26 AM

Civ 4 is amazing, thats for sure. Incredibly addictive to me, at least.

Fallout tactics was fun, for a while, but became excessively tedious to me and I never ended up finishing it.

Heroes 5 is solid value although I wouldn't pay top dollar for it.

Galactic Civilizations 2 is superb if you enjoy sci fi stuff.
September 5, 2006 1:14:48 AM

I agrie (maby not entirely with the civ game lol ...i played civ3 and it was so...boring, but i gues thats just me) in regards to other games i agrie, btw fallout 1 and fallout 2 were much beter than fallout tactics, btw i heard that Fallout 3 is supposedly in the making...but that was just rumors i guess.
September 5, 2006 11:33:19 AM

Quote:

Would you recommend it to someone who already has Civ3 (and Civ 2 and both Call to Power games...) Have they added much that's new?

Quote:
Galactic Civilizations 2 is superb if you enjoy sci fi stuff.

Indeed it is. Fantastic game - it's what MOO3 should have been!
September 5, 2006 3:18:48 PM

Fallout 3

Need a tissue?

I played civ4 and it was so boring I was almost reduced to tears....but that is just my oppinion. I can agree there is a lot of thought and detail that went into the game and it is quite polished....just very boring to play.
September 5, 2006 3:31:30 PM

lol 2007 and they want 60 bucks for the game lol no wonder the pirating "industry" is geting larger , 50 for a game is alot not saying 60 lol if this goes on people will no longer buy games, lol and the pc game times will end :cry:  , btw thx for the info
September 5, 2006 4:59:43 PM

Quote:
I played civ4 and it was so boring I was almost reduced to tears....but that is just my oppinion. I can agree there is a lot of thought and detail that went into the game and it is quite polished....just very boring to play.

Did you enjoy any of the previous Civ games though? If you just don't like that style of game then your views on it aren't much help to me!
September 6, 2006 4:30:50 PM

Quote:

Would you recommend it to someone who already has Civ3 (and Civ 2 and both Call to Power games...) Have they added much that's new?

i have started on civ1...on a 486... that was a awhile ago, ya but civ4 takes a little different turn from the older ones.... but i havn't had time to play it for about 6 months (i love RTS/FPS more!!) so i don't remember all the fun things about civ4, but i do remember it was different... in a very good way

i hope i helped in some way
September 6, 2006 11:15:27 PM

Mate, CIV 4 is a much better game. It looks and feels better; but most importantly the gameplay and in-depth attention to detail provided is far superior to CIV 3 which was a classic game in my book.

What is it now? About $50 US? I got it new in a clearance for $60 Aus dollars and its not let me down.

Next to Kohan 2 (please do yourself a favor and try this superb RTS game--its in the bargain basement bin now), CIV 4 has been huge for me.

In all honesty, I never have enough time for gaming; I'm 28 and love it so much...truly, its my major passion in life. It actually feels good to write that.
September 6, 2006 11:17:02 PM

Quote:
Fantastic game - it's what MOO3 should have been!

Absolutely, my friend. Gosh MOO3 was disappointing to me; bloody tragic game in the end.
!