Screen scroll

May 17, 2004 7:06:02 AM

Hi, can anyone help me my screen seems to have a mind of it's own, it scrolls up and down continuously without any input from me!! The speed of the scrolling is intermittant, and on occasions it goes into overdrive and the machine is unuseable!!Do I have a virus even though my virus detector says my machine is clean?

More about : screen scroll

Anonymous
May 17, 2004 4:53:07 PM

On Mon, 17 May 2004 03:06:02 -0700, Glyn Osborne wrote:

> Hi, can anyone help me my screen seems to have a mind of it's own, it
> scrolls up and down continuously without any input from me!! The speed
> of the scrolling is intermittant, and on occasions it goes into
> overdrive and the machine is unuseable!!Do I have a virus even though my
> virus detector says my machine is clean?

Take a look in Control Panel> Mouse. If you have "Click Lock" enabled,
uncheck the box to disable it. Click OK and test to see if the scrolling
problem is still present.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi Sharon
Thanks for the reply, but I've tried what you suggested and as I suspected the box wasn't checked. The scrolling is very severe when it gets going, totally disables the use of the program in use regardless of what that program is, outlook, word 2000, Photoshop 6 etc.etc.
Any further suggestions??
Kind regards
Glyn
May 17, 2004 10:12:57 PM

On Mon, 17 May 2004 14:21:05 -0700, Glyn Osborne wrote:

> Hi Sharon Thanks for the reply, but I've tried what you suggested and as
> I suspected the box wasn't checked. The scrolling is very severe when
> it gets going, totally disables the use of the program in use regardless
> of what that program is, outlook, word 2000, Photoshop 6 etc.etc. Any
> further suggestions?? Kind regards Glyn

Sure, here are some more:

-Try a different mouse.
-If voice to text features are installed, make sure that the microphone is
muted when not in use.
-Scan for viruses.
-Check that "Scroll lock (scrlk)" is not enabled on the keyboard.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Sharon
Many thanks, tried all that, and found one virus PSW.BispyA No further details available. However I ran a virus check yesterday and found nothing so I think it's fair to say, this one is one that has occured in the past 24 Hrs and therefore not responsible ofr the screen scroll. I'm not sure whether the scrolling has stopped because it was intermitant, but when it deceides to run, then I was powerless to continue using my pc. Will see what happens in the next 24hrs.
Maybe back to you soon...!
Kind regards
Glyn
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 7:48:59 PM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 08:46:07 -0700, Glyn wrote:

> Sharon Many thanks, tried all that, and found one virus PSW.BispyA No
> further details available. However I ran a virus check yesterday and
> found nothing so I think it's fair to say, this one is one that has
> occured in the past 24 Hrs and therefore not responsible ofr the screen
> scroll. I'm not sure whether the scrolling has stopped because it was
> intermitant, but when it deceides to run, then I was powerless to
> continue using my pc. Will see what happens in the next 24hrs. Maybe
> back to you soon...!

Good luck, Glyn.
Erratic scrolling can be hard to pin down. In some cases the display driver
and mouse driver are fighting to control the cursor. However, your case is
much more erratic than what that "war" should cause. I hope the removal of
the virus will eliminate the problem for you.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Good morning Sharon
I thought we had made progress yesterday, but I'm afraid it was short lived..! at about 11:00pm last night, it all came back and the scrolling started all over again. It is still happening this morning so whether 11:00pm was a coincidence or not I don't know. I'll check at about 11:00am today to see if it stops, if it does then it must surely be a virus or something which has a timer control built in. I'm guessing now.
Any further suggestions in the meantime? or shall I wait and see what iof anything happens at 11:00?
Regards
Glyn
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 4:36:36 PM

On Wed, 19 May 2004 01:01:17 -0700, Glyn wrote:

> Good morning Sharon I thought we had made progress yesterday, but I'm
> afraid it was short lived..! at about 11:00pm last night, it all came
> back and the scrolling started all over again. It is still happening
> this morning so whether 11:00pm was a coincidence or not I don't know.
> I'll check at about 11:00am today to see if it stops, if it does then it
> must surely be a virus or something which has a timer control built in.
> I'm guessing now. Any further suggestions in the meantime? or shall I
> wait and see what iof anything happens at 11:00? Regards Glyn

Is there anything in Scheduled Tasks for 11PM? A cpu intensive program
could conceivably cause temporary giddiness in mouse control.

Have you tried reinstalling the mouse drivers/software. Are there updates
available for it?

Take a look at Task Manager. Try to determine what items are different from
"normal" when the mouse/scrolling starts acting up.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi Shirley
Many thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. I looked for ages to see what was running at 11:00pm and eventually found out it was my Anti Virus AVG. Now that I've found it would you believe it, the scolling appears to have stopped..!! not that I've changed anything. Anyway if it starts again I will reinstall the mouse drivers as suggested. Will keep an eye on the situation.
Many, many thanks for your assistance, I do appreciate it
Kind regards
Glyn
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 4:45:51 PM

On Mon, 24 May 2004 03:31:05 -0700, Glyn wrote:

> Hi Shirley
> Many thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. I looked for ages to see what was running at 11:00pm and eventually found out it was my Anti Virus AVG. Now that I've found it would you believe it, the scolling appears to have stopped..!! not that I've changed anything. Anyway if it starts again I will reinstall the mouse drivers as suggested. Will keep an eye on the situation.
> Many, many thanks for your assistance, I do appreciate it

You're welcome, Glyn. Good luck with this.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User