User Permissions - Limited/Admin half way house?

Is there no way to set up a user with permissions halfway
between "limited" and "administrator" with XP Pro? I think
I'm being a bit thick, but I can't find a way.
My "Limited" user can't even set screensaver settings, but
I don't want her to have full admin privilegfes just to be
able to do things like this.

Best Regards,

Richard Bagnall

Richard Bagnall wrote:
> Is there no way to set up a user with permissions halfway
> between "limited" and "administrator" with XP Pro? I think
> I'm being a bit thick, but I can't find a way.
> My "Limited" user can't even set screensaver settings, but
> I don't want her to have full admin privilegfes just to be
> able to do things like this.

You are treating Windows XP Pro like it is XP Home and you aren't treating
it like a systems administrator at all. You need to start using the
computer management, group policies, local policies and the likes. There
you can create groups, manage users, set file and directory permissions and
actually "administer" your PCs.

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

Doug's Windows XP Security Console

Those may help you get started. Otherwise, I suggest google and Microsoft
searches for the terms I mentioned above. It will take some reading and
effort on your part, but in the end it should be worth it.

--
<- Shenan ->

Gordon

Richard Bagnall" <MSNewsgroup_01@Bagnall.co.uk> wrote in message
> Is there no way to set up a user with permissions halfway
> between "limited" and "administrator" with XP Pro? I think
> I'm being a bit thick, but I can't find a way.
> My "Limited" user can't even set screensaver settings, but
> I don't want her to have full admin privilegfes just to be
> able to do things like this.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Richard Bagnall

There is a "Power User" option but you can't access it from Control
Panel-User Accounts. You need to do it through Control Panel-Administration
Tools-Computer Management-Users and Groups

HTH

Excellent answer Stanley - thanks for helping this lurker
that hasn't been ableto figure out "how" to ask it!

Pop

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Richard Bagnall wrote:
> > Is there no way to set up a user with permissions
halfway
> > between "limited" and "administrator" with XP Pro? I
think
> > I'm being a bit thick, but I can't find a way.
> > My "Limited" user can't even set screensaver settings,
but
> > I don't want her to have full admin privilegfes just to
be
> > able to do things like this.
>
> You are treating Windows XP Pro like it is XP Home and you
aren't treating
> it like a systems administrator at all. You need to start
using the
> computer management, group policies, local policies and
the likes. There
> you can create groups, manage users, set file and
directory permissions and
> actually "administer" your PCs.
>
> HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions
for Files and
> Folders in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

> Doug's Windows XP Security Console
>
> Those may help you get started. Otherwise, I suggest
google and Microsoft
> searches for the terms I mentioned above. It will take
some reading and
> effort on your part, but in the end it should be worth it.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --
> The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
> completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without
warranties of any
> kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before
you take any
> advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your
actions.

Pop Rivet wrote:
> Excellent answer Stanley - thanks for helping this lurker
> that hasn't been ableto figure out "how" to ask it!
>
> Pop

You're welcome. I hope it helps the OP as well.

--
<- Shenan ->