Win 98 Compatibility

Hi,

I have a program that works only on windows 98. Is it possible that I
configure xp to report win 98 as it's version to old programs?

Thanks,
Alan
6 answers Last reply
More about compatibility

    Hi Alan

    You may be able to make the program work via Compatibility Mode. Find the
    ..EXE file the program in Windows Explorer, right click on it and select
    Properties. Click on the Compatibility Mode tab and select 'Run this program
    in compatibility mode for:'

    Failing that you may be able to get an update for the program via the
    appropriate web site.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "A.M" <IHateSpam@sapm123.com> wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | I have a program that works only on windows 98. Is it possible that I
    | configure xp to report win 98 as it's version to old programs?
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Alan

    Thanks Will for help,

    Do we have Compatibility Mode in windows 2000 professional too?

    Thanks Again,
    Alan

    > Hi Alan
    >
    > You may be able to make the program work via Compatibility Mode. Find the
    > .EXE file the program in Windows Explorer, right click on it and select
    > Properties. Click on the Compatibility Mode tab and select 'Run this
    program
    > in compatibility mode for:'
    >
    > Failing that you may be able to get an update for the program via the
    > appropriate web site.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >

    > "A.M" <IHateSpam@sapm123.com> wrote in message
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | I have a program that works only on windows 98. Is it possible that I
    > | configure xp to report win 98 as it's version to old programs?
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > | Alan

    The same method can be used, as I posted earlier, with regard to the Desktop
    Icon for the program, if one is created.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "A.M" <IHateSpam@sapm123.com> wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | I have a program that works only on windows 98. Is it possible that I
    | configure xp to report win 98 as it's version to old programs?
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Alan

    Hi Alan

    I'm not sure. I haven't got W2K installed ATM to check.

    --

    | Thanks Will for help,
    |
    | Do we have Compatibility Mode in windows 2000 professional too?
    |
    | Thanks Again,
    | Alan
    |

    | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > Hi Alan
    | >
    | > You may be able to make the program work via Compatibility Mode. Find
    the
    | > .EXE file the program in Windows Explorer, right click on it and select
    | > Properties. Click on the Compatibility Mode tab and select 'Run this
    | program
    | > in compatibility mode for:'
    | >
    | > Failing that you may be able to get an update for the program via the
    | > appropriate web site.
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Will Denny
    | > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    | >

    | > "A.M" <IHateSpam@sapm123.com> wrote in message
    | > | Hi,
    | > |
    | > | I have a program that works only on windows 98. Is it possible that I
    | > | configure xp to report win 98 as it's version to old programs?
    | > |
    | > | Thanks,
    | > | Alan
    | > |
    | > |

    I don't quite understand this compatability mode. I do
    have programs for 98 and thought I would have to install
    98 on a separate partition. Could someone explain it to
    me? Thanks

    In a nutshell:
    Microsoft 16-bit Operating System (DOS, Win 3.x, and Win 95, and Win 98/ME)
    allow programs to make direct calls to system hardware devices.
    Microsoft 32-bit Operatings systems (Win NT, Win 2000, Win XP) do not allow
    programs to make direct calls to system hardware devices.
    Compatibility Mode is an Operating System emulator -- the emulator
    intercepts hardware calls from a program, makes a call to the hardware
    through the NT-based Operating System, intercepts the reply from the
    hardware and relays that reply to the program, thereby "fooling" the program
    into thinking that it has, in fact, made a direct call to hardware when it
    has not.

    For further information, try
    Help and Support
    type in "Compatibility Mode"
    Click on the link "Getting older programs to run on Windows XP"

    steve

    "Learning" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I don't quite understand this compatability mode. I do
    > have programs for 98 and thought I would have to install
    > 98 on a separate partition. Could someone explain it to
    > me? Thanks

Windows 98 Microsoft Configuration Compatibility Windows XP