Win 98 Compatibility

Hi,

I have a program that works only on windows 98. Is it possible that I
configure xp to report win 98 as it's version to old programs?

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan

You may be able to make the program work via Compatibility Mode. Find the
..EXE file the program in Windows Explorer, right click on it and select
Properties. Click on the Compatibility Mode tab and select 'Run this program
in compatibility mode for:'

Failing that you may be able to get an update for the program via the
appropriate web site.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"A.M" <IHateSpam@sapm123.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have a program that works only on windows 98. Is it possible that I
| configure xp to report win 98 as it's version to old programs?
|
| Thanks,
| Alan

Thanks Will for help,

Do we have Compatibility Mode in windows 2000 professional too?

Thanks Again,
Alan

> Hi Alan
>
> You may be able to make the program work via Compatibility Mode. Find the
> .EXE file the program in Windows Explorer, right click on it and select
> Properties. Click on the Compatibility Mode tab and select 'Run this
program
> in compatibility mode for:'
>
> Failing that you may be able to get an update for the program via the
> appropriate web site.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>

> "A.M" <IHateSpam@sapm123.com> wrote in message
> | Hi,
> |
> | I have a program that works only on windows 98. Is it possible that I
> | configure xp to report win 98 as it's version to old programs?
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Alan

The same method can be used, as I posted earlier, with regard to the Desktop
Icon for the program, if one is created.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"A.M" <IHateSpam@sapm123.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have a program that works only on windows 98. Is it possible that I
| configure xp to report win 98 as it's version to old programs?
|
| Thanks,
| Alan

Hi Alan

I'm not sure. I haven't got W2K installed ATM to check.

--

| Thanks Will for help,
|
| Do we have Compatibility Mode in windows 2000 professional too?
|
| Thanks Again,
| Alan
|

| "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > Hi Alan
| >
| > You may be able to make the program work via Compatibility Mode. Find
the
| > .EXE file the program in Windows Explorer, right click on it and select
| > Properties. Click on the Compatibility Mode tab and select 'Run this
| program
| > in compatibility mode for:'
| >
| > Failing that you may be able to get an update for the program via the
| > appropriate web site.
| >
| > --
| >
| > Will Denny
| > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
| >

| > "A.M" <IHateSpam@sapm123.com> wrote in message
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I have a program that works only on windows 98. Is it possible that I
| > | configure xp to report win 98 as it's version to old programs?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | Alan
| > |
| > |

Learning

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2002

I don't quite understand this compatability mode. I do
have programs for 98 and thought I would have to install
98 on a separate partition. Could someone explain it to
me? Thanks

In a nutshell:
Microsoft 16-bit Operating System (DOS, Win 3.x, and Win 95, and Win 98/ME)
allow programs to make direct calls to system hardware devices.
Microsoft 32-bit Operatings systems (Win NT, Win 2000, Win XP) do not allow
programs to make direct calls to system hardware devices.
Compatibility Mode is an Operating System emulator -- the emulator
intercepts hardware calls from a program, makes a call to the hardware
through the NT-based Operating System, intercepts the reply from the
hardware and relays that reply to the program, thereby "fooling" the program
into thinking that it has, in fact, made a direct call to hardware when it
has not.

For further information, try
Help and Support
type in "Compatibility Mode"
Click on the link "Getting older programs to run on Windows XP"

steve