Darkstar One

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I just bought this game on Saturday, and I can't put it down! I love it! Any fans of space flight sims definately have to try this! It combines the best elements of Freelancer, I-War 2, and Privateer, and adds a lot of its own in there. Not to mention it looks farging sweet with all the graphics turned up full.

It has its little problems, the voice acting is laughably bad, and they need to improve their joystic support, but there's so much good as well!

The missons are really varied, from the typical pirate hunting, to transporting crates, to taking photos of a solar system for a calendar competition. If you accidentally snap a pic of a military installation, you get in trouble :p

Trading is a viable choice, if you know what you're doing, you can pick up a cargo for 10000 credits, fly to the next system, and sell it for 25000. Considering most missions go for 12000 credits or so, you make about the same trading as you can on a mission.

The other great thing: Bounties. Get tired of those missions where more and more ships seem to come in, and there's no end in sight, and you just want to finish so you can get your money and go home? Now each extra ship will give you a little glee, as you can get a bountie for every pirate ship destroyed, with each bounty between a few hundred or a thousand credits, depending on the system.

There's little side missions as well, if you read the news, and here mention of a pirate gang causing trouble in a system, you can go there, hunt for them, and if you find and defeat them, not only do you get their bounties and a rich reward, but also a secret service weapon.

There really are career paths, one of six, killer, smuggler, pirate, merchant, mercenary, and bounty hunter. Do enough of a certain type, and you get labelled as that, with bonuses that come with it. I'm currently a mercenary/bounty hunter, and I'm almost a merchant as well. *spoiler* Merc means I get more cash for doing missions from the terminals, and bounty hunter means in rebel systems, I'm more likely to get attacked by pirates, and hence get their bounties.

Oh, and another thing, no more long travelling times, or jump gates/lagrange points. For between systems you have a jump drive that you can activate any time, anywhere. There are lump gates to determine where you enter a system, but you don't have to find one when you want to leave. For in-system travelling, you have time acceleration, where it'll speed up time for you, with some interesting visual effects.

Now the big thing they go on about is your upgradeable ship. You canh collect artifacts through two ways, liberating a system held by pirates (lots of fun Very Happy), or finding them hidden in asteroids. Now, your ship tels you which systems artifacts can be found in, and even puts them on your target list when in that system. When I first got the game, they made it sound like you just had t blow up a small floating asteroid to pick up the artifact in it. Not so. Picture in X-Wing alliance, fluing through the Death Star. There are these giant asteroids many kilometers across that have ben hollowed out for mining. You have to fly through all the narrow tunnels to find the cavern with the artifact to collect it.

When you collect enough for an upgrade, you ca choose to upgrade your hull, wings, or engines. These do things like add front firing weapon slots, add turret slots, increase power, speed, agility, etc.

Once you pick which area to upgrade, you then get to upgrade your plasma cannon. this is a unique weapon to your ship, that does lots of multiple things all at once. Picture a skill tree like from diablo 2. Now, picture pushing one button, and having every skill act at once. That's how the plasma cannon works. Each ability has five levels, and there are things like recharging your weapons or shield a lot faster, firing a plasma bolt at an enemy cockpit to disabl their shields, firing an EMP to disable their weapons, freezing them in time, and several others.

There's a lot more to the game as well, it's just a whole heap of fun. I love it.

SuperG

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Play X3 to there a Patch 2.0 coming up but wenn?
I bought this game a hour ago. Was actualy lokin for JTF and CoH

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Play X3 to there a Patch 2.0 coming up but wenn?
I bought this game a hour ago. Was actualy lokin for JTF and CoH

The current patches have fixed the bugs and made the game playable.

The upcoming patch is to add new content (yes; new content for free 8O - I love Egosoft). It's due oot later this year - if you register for the newsletter you'll find out when.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Sadly, I'll never try X3 so long as it has Starforce copy protection.

I thought Egosoft had released a remove-Starforce patch?

They did for X2, don't think so for X3.

just get a illegal copy then you wont have to put up with starforce[\sarcasm]

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Sadly, I'll never try X3 so long as it has Starforce copy protection.

I thought Egosoft had released a remove-Starforce patch?

They did for X2, don't think so for X3.

This is the case - so far.

Starforce sucks, but I'm trying out my friend's copy to see how it plays and see if it's worth my time, and so I thought maybe they had done this already and so was surfing thier forums yesterday. I read on the support forum over there that there is a plan to do the same for X3 later this year.

But yes, no other copy protect leaves me feeling I'm being penalized for buying more than Starforce. It's not like a downloaded copy with a no-cd fix isn't a day's download away and heaven forbid I like not having the disk in the drive to play...

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I've heard so much about this (and Darkstar One is definitely the one I have my eyes on), Space Rangers 2, and X3: The Reunion.

I'm wondering - what are the major differences, and which one is the flagship game of the genre, if they're even similar?

At the moment I'm still just a TIE Fighter & GalCiv2 kinda guy (I have Freespace 2, but I never got around to trying it - or the Homeworld games) but I definitely would love the idea of flying around the galaxy like a pre-movies Han Solo kinda guy. Some sort of mercenary or smuggler or whatever wreaking havoc & exploring the galaxy; you know, that sort of thing. With combat included of course.

I know almost nothing. Enlighten me.

Arucard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Dunno about SR2, but X# and DS1 are vastly different games, almost each in their own genre. DS1's more like Freelancer, X3's more like a single player EVE.

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
I am new on the gaming scene, so I might ask dumb questions, but I have been reading some posts in here and it helps me to kind of get a list of newer games out, and I frequent some of the gaming sites.

Just out of curiosity, are any of you playing these games on Vista?

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
You should definately give Freespace 2 a go. It's very scripted, but it's the best space-combat game I've played.

X is more like Elite. Although there is a plot to follow, you can largely ignore it and do whatever you like.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
You should definately give Freespace 2 a go. It's very scripted, but it's the best space-combat game I've played.

+1 on that

I wish I could erase my memory with the red flashy thing and re-play Freespace 2... wow what a game that was. In my top games along with Xwing alliance

fake_03

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009

hum... I seen it at EBgames in newfoundland so you might be able to find it at one near whare you live.
I'm not sure but I think at EBgames webpage you can order a game to the nearest store to you and you can go and pick it up. I've never done it so I'm not sure.

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
So is this a single player game? have you considered eve online (which for people who arent in the know is an MMORPG). Been playing about 2 months now and love it especially the pvp