"Setup cannot create temporary folder"

Rachel

When I try to upgrade my computer from Win98 SE to Windows
XP, the setup gets stuck with 68 minutes remaining and the
process "Analyzing your computer."

I also tried to check compatibility, but it gave me the
error message "Setup cannot create temporary folder.
Setup cannot continue."

I need to upgrade and it won't work! Please help!

rach@knowyouronion.com

Hi Rachel,

Common installation problems are usually cured by restarting the machine,
then....

1) Delete the contents of the C:\windows\temp folder, there may be a file in
there interfering with the setup routine of the installer.

2) Turn off all other running programs, especially your antivirus software.
Use ctrl+alt+delete, if necessary, to "end task" on everything except
Explorer.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"Rachel" <rach@knowyouronion.com> wrote in message
> When I try to upgrade my computer from Win98 SE to Windows
> XP, the setup gets stuck with 68 minutes remaining and the
> process "Analyzing your computer."
>
> I also tried to check compatibility, but it gave me the
> error message "Setup cannot create temporary folder.
> Setup cannot continue."
>
> I need to upgrade and it won't work! Please help!
>
> rach@knowyouronion.com

| "Rachel" <rach@knowyouronion.com> wrote in message
| When I try to upgrade my computer from Win98 SE to Windows
| XP, the setup gets stuck with 68 minutes remaining and the
| process "Analyzing your computer."
|
| I also tried to check compatibility, but it gave me the
| error message "Setup cannot create temporary folder.
| Setup cannot continue." I need to upgrade and it won't work!
| Please help!

There is a known problem of Setup hanging during the "Analyzing
your Computer" portion if you have the Roxio Easy CD Creator
program installed on the computer. If that is the cause of the
problem KB822967 says to remove Easy CD Creator before upgrading
to Windows XP. For more information see the following Microsoft
Knowledge Base article:

KB822967 - Windows XP Setup Stops Responding During the
"Collecting Information" Portion of Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;822967

And for your "Setup cannot create temporary folder. Setup cannot
continue." Fatal Error message when you run the Upgrade Advisor
tool by manually clicking Check System Compatibility on the
Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP page that appears after you
insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM...

The WorkingDirectory for the Upgrade Advisor tool is
C:\Windows\setup\temp. And I was able to force my Win98 system
to display this exact Fatal Error message by creating a file in
the C:\Windows folder and naming it setup (no file extension and
a generic icon). I was also able to force the same Error message
by creating a directory named C:\Windows\setup and creating a
file in this directory named temp (no file extension and a
generic icon). So maybe your problem has the same cause. If so,
search those directories for those files and either move the
files (if you need them) or delete them.

I strongly recommend that you read and follow all the steps in
the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

KB316639 - HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows
Millennium Edition to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;316639