file sharing, and netgear configuration utility

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 25, 2004 12:02:38 AM

'use windows to configure my wirless settings' I am currently running
win XP. I bought a Netgear MA111 usb adapter, in order to connect to
my linksys BEFW11S4 router. Miracle of miracles, from someone who up
to 2 months ago saved all documents on the desktop so they 'wouldnt
get lost', I now have a network of three computers (all running xp),
sharing an NTL broadband connection, 2 wirelessly, with the other one
plugged in the back of the router.

There are some niggles though. Firstly, when I was setting things up I
didnt uncheck 'use windows to configure my wireless setting'. I cant
seem to launch the netgear configuration utility at all. If I double
click on this in the programs list, nothing seems to happen, the
wireless network still seems to be under the thumb of windows. Any
ideas?

I would also like to share one file between 2 of the computers. This
is for music downloads. I want to be able to access this folder from
both wireless computers. Im a real newbie. I assume you do this
through the router? (ie it isnt the two usb adapters that are
communicating with each other?) Ive read and read all the message
boards but I just dont know how to go about doing this? ANy ideas?
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 7:44:20 AM

donaldbane@hotmail.com (donaldbane) wrote in

> 'use windows to configure my wirless settings' I am currently running
> win XP. I bought a Netgear MA111 usb adapter, in order to connect to
> my linksys BEFW11S4 router. Miracle of miracles, from someone who up
> to 2 months ago saved all documents on the desktop so they 'wouldnt
> get lost', I now have a network of three computers (all running xp),
> sharing an NTL broadband connection, 2 wirelessly, with the other one
> plugged in the back of the router.
>
> There are some niggles though. Firstly, when I was setting things up I
> didnt uncheck 'use windows to configure my wireless setting'. I cant
> seem to launch the netgear configuration utility at all. If I double
> click on this in the programs list, nothing seems to happen, the
> wireless network still seems to be under the thumb of windows. Any
> ideas?

I prefer to have the connection controlled by XP as there were lots of
problems keeping the connetion with the card's utility. The card's
usility is not installed.

> I would also like to share one file between 2 of the computers. This
> is for music downloads. I want to be able to access this folder from
> both wireless computers. Im a real newbie. I assume you do this
> through the router? (ie it isnt the two usb adapters that are
> communicating with each other?) Ive read and read all the message
> boards but I just dont know how to go about doing this? ANy ideas?

The router is the gateway device of the LAN and WAN.

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

Duane :)
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 7:44:23 AM

donaldbane@hotmail.com (donaldbane) wrote in

> 'use windows to configure my wirless settings' I am currently running
> win XP. I bought a Netgear MA111 usb adapter, in order to connect to
> my linksys BEFW11S4 router. Miracle of miracles, from someone who up
> to 2 months ago saved all documents on the desktop so they 'wouldnt
> get lost', I now have a network of three computers (all running xp),
> sharing an NTL broadband connection, 2 wirelessly, with the other one
> plugged in the back of the router.
>
> There are some niggles though. Firstly, when I was setting things up I
> didnt uncheck 'use windows to configure my wireless setting'. I cant
> seem to launch the netgear configuration utility at all. If I double
> click on this in the programs list, nothing seems to happen, the
> wireless network still seems to be under the thumb of windows. Any
> ideas?

I prefer to have the connection controlled by XP as there were lots of
problems keeping the connetion with the card's utility. The card's
usility is not installed.

> I would also like to share one file between 2 of the computers. This
> is for music downloads. I want to be able to access this folder from
> both wireless computers. Im a real newbie. I assume you do this
> through the router? (ie it isnt the two usb adapters that are
> communicating with each other?) Ive read and read all the message
> boards but I just dont know how to go about doing this? ANy ideas?

The router is the gateway device of the LAN and WAN.

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

Duane :)
Related resources
July 25, 2004 7:53:53 AM

"donaldbane" <donaldbane@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 'use windows to configure my wirless settings' I am currently running
> win XP. I bought a Netgear MA111 usb adapter, in order to connect to
> my linksys BEFW11S4 router. Miracle of miracles, from someone who up
> to 2 months ago saved all documents on the desktop so they 'wouldnt
> get lost', I now have a network of three computers (all running xp),
> sharing an NTL broadband connection, 2 wirelessly, with the other one
> plugged in the back of the router.
>
> There are some niggles though. Firstly, when I was setting things up I
> didnt uncheck 'use windows to configure my wireless setting'. I cant
> seem to launch the netgear configuration utility at all. If I double
> click on this in the programs list, nothing seems to happen, the
> wireless network still seems to be under the thumb of windows. Any
> ideas?

I can answer this one I think... Select Start, Control Panel, Network
Connections, and right-click on the "wireless network connection' and open
Properties. Select then the Wireless Networks Tab at the top, and you will
see there a check mark which enables the Windows configuration of the
wireless settings. Uncheck that, and then you will be able to run the
netgear configuration utility assuming it has been installed from the CD
supplied with the product.

> I would also like to share one file between 2 of the computers. This
> is for music downloads. I want to be able to access this folder from
> both wireless computers. Im a real newbie. I assume you do this
> through the router? (ie it isnt the two usb adapters that are
> communicating with each other?) Ive read and read all the message
> boards but I just dont know how to go about doing this? ANy ideas?

The router will act as an access point for the two wireless connections so
any file sharing should be enabled through Windows using the Network
Connection Properties where you check Files and Printer Sharing for
Microsoft Networks. You then need to share the folder where the music files
are stored so that the other computers on the network can see them. Other
options exist to enable (or not) write access from a remote computer.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:07:46 PM

Thanks for your help. As you can see I changed my email after someone
in work suggested it as a way of avoiding spam. Thanks for help and
the various links.
Ill see if I can withdraw the posting. (im still learning!)
!