.exe Extension Problem

May 17, 2004 9:31:03 PM

Hi,
I have recently opened associated an exe file to a particular program. However, since then, exe files uses that particular program and error is prompted. (eg: exe files which are supposed to use Internet Explorer to open as Applet used that particular program to execute and error is prompted) I have tried to go to folder => Tools => Folder Options => File Types -- to try to change stuff but changes make things worst and I have to restore back.
Thanks.

More about : exe extension problem

May 18, 2004 12:51:05 AM

Below is reply from other forum but the problem is still not fix.

Go to www.dougknox.com, click on WinXP Fixes, then on File Association
fixes. Download the .exe fix and run it on your system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

Thanks for the info. But after I have run the reg file, my problem still persist. Can you suggest other ways to solve this problem?
Thanks.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 2:06:32 PM

From David Candy:

Type in Start, Run

command /c copy %windir%\regedit.exe %windir%\regedit.com

%windir%\system32\regedit.com

Navigate to
HKEY CLASSES ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
and make sure the default value is set to "%1" %* (Include the quotes)

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell

"Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BEEABC49-BD4E-4596-B8CE-7C358863BAB7@microsoft.com...
Below is reply from other forum but the problem is still not fix.

Go to www.dougknox.com, click on WinXP Fixes, then on File Association
fixes. Download the .exe fix and run it on your system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

Thanks for the info. But after I have run the reg file, my problem still persist. Can you suggest other ways to solve this problem?
Thanks.
Related resources
May 18, 2004 2:06:33 PM

I have copied the editor and in the editor, only have HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exe\PersistenHandler
Do not have the path that u mentioned : HKEY CLASSES ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 3:59:08 PM

There should be two keys:
(.exe and exefile)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.EXE
and
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\EXEFILE

How did you apply the REG fix you downloaded earlier?

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell

!