RanneyMae2

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
Can anyone help me? I would like to install a video editing pci card into my HP pavilion model 8660c, but quite awhile ago I saw bulletin board posts (don't remember where) that said people were having problems with the bios on this machine accepting an external video card. (I think it was because the motherboard has integrated video, not sure). In any case, HP has said that all one has to do is upgrade the bios, but I am not sure this will work, and since the software is a minimum of $400.00, I would really like to know if it will work, before I buy it. There is an intell 810E chipset in this machine, and no agp slot, so pci is the only way I can go. Anyone?

OK you're running PIII either 533 or 733Mhz with 128Mb SDRAM, with 11Mb of integrated onboard graphics, I don't know who at the HP site told you you could flash your BIOS and do what you want to do, because the information I've found plainly states that,(integrated graphics; not upgradeable), you're in a HP dilema because normally you could just get you a new motherboard and use your old processor and other periferals, but if you were to consider going that route you would definitely want a motherboard with an AGP slot and that HP case may not have an opening for one since it didn't come with one. With the HP site definitely saying the video is not upgradeable, you probably cannot disable it in the BIOS so you'll end up with a disaster trying to run the card you're after. Save the $400 and put it toward getting yourself a newer computer, that you can do what you want with.

RanneyMae2

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
Thanx to 4ryan6, I kinda thought that was the case. Thanks for responding, I will try and sell this beast and build one that will do what I want.

stoneydayz

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
video editing and video card for output to vga monitor is 2 different things. What you read on some post about people having problems with the HP accepting an external video card may mean just upgrading their on board video card. If you have a Pc with P3 533 or 733Mhz CPU you would be able to pick up a cheap fire wire video editing card and give it a try. it only costs about 70 to 100 $$ and even if it don't work it be cheaper to sell than you HP. I'm into Desktop video editing and I started off with a cheap Pinnacle card 2 years ago on a P3 500Mhz machine and made some cool videos. Of couse the higher the CPU the better but if you are on a budget and you are not going into business with it why not.