error 680..there is no Dial Tone

Hello

my friend has just purchased a new Spirit v90 external
modem.(previously had internal modem)
since adding this moden ,when he tries to connect to the
internet,he gets this Error Message: Error 680. there is
no Dial Tone.
he says all his configurations are good(as before)and
cables connected properly.tried uninstalling Re-
installing new moden/ software .has removed internal
modem & software.
we are both new at computing .
XP pro edition.
any help will be greatly appreciated.it may sound a
simple problem but it has us totally stumped.
Thanyou.
Regards
Alan
4 answers Last reply
More about error there dial tone

    Hi Alan,

    May be bad, I would see about exchanging it. Happens sometimes.

    Things to check:

    - you can hear a dial tone with a normal phone connected to that line
    - if connected through a serial port, that the max speed is set to 115k or
    less

    Might also check:

    How to Troubleshoot "No Dial Tone" Issues in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326681

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Alan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > my friend has just purchased a new Spirit v90 external
    > modem.(previously had internal modem)
    > since adding this moden ,when he tries to connect to the
    > internet,he gets this Error Message: Error 680. there is
    > no Dial Tone.
    > he says all his configurations are good(as before)and
    > cables connected properly.tried uninstalling Re-
    > installing new moden/ software .has removed internal
    > modem & software.
    > we are both new at computing .
    > XP pro edition.
    > any help will be greatly appreciated.it may sound a
    > simple problem but it has us totally stumped.
    > Thanyou.
    > Regards
    > Alan

    Hello Rick

    ok, will change speak to him and get a replacement .my
    son -in -law bought one the same and had no problems what
    so ever.
    thankyou very much for your help...very prompt
    thanks again
    Regards
    Alan

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    : Hi Alan,
    :
    : May be bad, I would see about exchanging it. Happens sometimes.
    :
    : Things to check:
    :
    : - you can hear a dial tone with a normal phone connected to that line
    : - if connected through a serial port, that the max speed is set to
    : 115k or less
    :
    : Might also check:
    :
    : How to Troubleshoot "No Dial Tone" Issues in Windows XP
    : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326681
    :
    :
    : "Alan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    : news:e7da01c43cbb$c1e55680$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    :: Hello
    ::
    :: my friend has just purchased a new Spirit v90 external
    :: modem.(previously had internal modem)
    :: since adding this moden ,when he tries to connect to the
    :: internet,he gets this Error Message: Error 680. there is
    :: no Dial Tone.
    :: he says all his configurations are good(as before)and
    :: cables connected properly.tried uninstalling Re-
    :: installing new moden/ software .has removed internal
    :: modem & software.
    :: we are both new at computing .
    :: XP pro edition.
    :: any help will be greatly appreciated.it may sound a
    :: simple problem but it has us totally stumped.
    :: Thanyou.
    :: Regards
    :: Alan

    He should check his settings in properties for the modem. My own modem will
    not work if it detects a dial tone. I have it turned off and have no
    problems connection. Uncheck where it says wait for dial tone before
    dialling.

    Regards, It's only me

    out too. and keep for future reference.
    Regards
    Alan
    >He should check his settings in properties for the
    modem. My own modem will
    >not work if it detects a dial tone. I have it turned off
    and have no
    >problems connection. Uncheck where it says wait for dial
    tone before
    >dialling.
    >
    >Regards, It's only me
    >

    >.