error 680..there is no Dial Tone

May 18, 2004 6:37:38 AM

Hello

my friend has just purchased a new Spirit v90 external
modem.(previously had internal modem)
since adding this moden ,when he tries to connect to the
internet,he gets this Error Message: Error 680. there is
no Dial Tone.
he says all his configurations are good(as before)and
cables connected properly.tried uninstalling Re-
installing new moden/ software .has removed internal
modem & software.
we are both new at computing .
XP pro edition.
any help will be greatly appreciated.it may sound a
simple problem but it has us totally stumped.
Thanyou.
Regards
Alan

More about : error 680 dial tone

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 10:09:06 AM

Hi Alan,

May be bad, I would see about exchanging it. Happens sometimes.

Things to check:

- you can hear a dial tone with a normal phone connected to that line
- if connected through a serial port, that the max speed is set to 115k or
less

Might also check:

How to Troubleshoot "No Dial Tone" Issues in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326681

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"Alan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> my friend has just purchased a new Spirit v90 external
> modem.(previously had internal modem)
> since adding this moden ,when he tries to connect to the
> internet,he gets this Error Message: Error 680. there is
> no Dial Tone.
> he says all his configurations are good(as before)and
> cables connected properly.tried uninstalling Re-
> installing new moden/ software .has removed internal
> modem & software.
> we are both new at computing .
> XP pro edition.
> any help will be greatly appreciated.it may sound a
> simple problem but it has us totally stumped.
> Thanyou.
> Regards
> Alan

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 10:09:07 AM

Hello Rick

ok, will change speak to him and get a replacement .my
son -in -law bought one the same and had no problems what
so ever.
thankyou very much for your help...very prompt
thanks again
Regards
Alan

May 19, 2004 5:44:12 AM

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
: Hi Alan,
:
: May be bad, I would see about exchanging it. Happens sometimes.
:
: Things to check:
:
: - you can hear a dial tone with a normal phone connected to that line
: - if connected through a serial port, that the max speed is set to
: 115k or less
:
: Might also check:
:
: How to Troubleshoot "No Dial Tone" Issues in Windows XP
: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326681
:
:
: "Alan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: news:e7da01c43cbb$c1e55680$a501280a@phx.gbl...
:: Hello
::
:: my friend has just purchased a new Spirit v90 external
:: modem.(previously had internal modem)
:: since adding this moden ,when he tries to connect to the
:: internet,he gets this Error Message: Error 680. there is
:: no Dial Tone.
:: he says all his configurations are good(as before)and
:: cables connected properly.tried uninstalling Re-
:: installing new moden/ software .has removed internal
:: modem & software.
:: we are both new at computing .
:: XP pro edition.
:: any help will be greatly appreciated.it may sound a
:: simple problem but it has us totally stumped.
:: Thanyou.
:: Regards
:: Alan

He should check his settings in properties for the modem. My own modem will
not work if it detects a dial tone. I have it turned off and have no
problems connection. Uncheck where it says wait for dial tone before
dialling.

Regards, It's only me
May 19, 2004 6:21:37 AM

out too. and keep for future reference.