music producing -> pentium 4 or pentium M

sicky

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
Hi all

I want to buy myself a new notebook for producing music, using programs as LOGIC and reason among others ....

I dont care much if the battery runs out quickly or my notebook makes more noise, I just want the best and most stable notebook for producing
So i dont know is the difference between pentium M and pentium4 still big or is it neglectable??
What would you guys recommend

Thx in advance !!

Grtz
Davy

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you are going to be doing lots of processor intensive stuff you may want to consider the new pentium M dothan core processors. You can get them up to 2ghz I believe and they have 2mb of L2 cache on die. That 2mb of cache seems to make a BIG difference on my IBM Thinkpad T42. It is only a 1.8ghz proc but it owns other procs faster than it for cpu intensive tasks.
You say you aren't after long batter life but the dothan core will give it to you anyway. My thinkpad lasts a good 6hrs even when doing intensive tasks. This long battery life means less power is consumed which in turn means less heat is produced. Pentium M procs don't get very hot compared to other procs in laptops. This is mainly due to the obvious fact that they are true mobile procs, not desktop procs in laptops like most are.
If you plan on using it for long periods of time go with a true mobie proc like the Pentium M. The non mobile P4's in laptops can cause instability due to heat if you are using them for very long periods of time. My friend's P4 non mobile laptop was almost melted to a plastic table after a few hrs of use.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>