Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Apple should be made in U.S.A

Last response: in Mac Os X
September 8, 2011 2:59:33 AM

Personally speaking do you think Apple products should be manufactured in the U.S.A.?

More about : apple made

September 8, 2011 7:53:13 AM

No.
September 8, 2011 8:08:41 AM

Umm... only if people are ready to pay $999 for a 16 GB tablet and $1299 for a 64 GB one :p 
Related resources
September 8, 2011 8:36:06 AM

No.
Where Electronics are concerned, no one can currently match (let alone beat) the Chinese on build quality or price.
September 8, 2011 8:55:21 AM

JustSomeJoe said:
No.
Where Electronics are concerned, no one can currently match (let alone beat) the Chinese on build quality or price.
Getting a a bit carried away, aren't we? Price, yes. Build quality? Lol. Unless of course, you ARE Chinese and consider Taiwan to be a part of your territory. :) 

What I'm saying is, Asus - Yes. Foxconn - Yeah, I'll pass.
September 8, 2011 9:11:05 AM

No, I don't think .Its good that they are from china.They have the best human minds and power.
September 8, 2011 9:20:46 AM

afaik, you can't pay pittance and torture your staff so much in the US to get your margins down.
September 8, 2011 11:07:58 AM

made in china may not be a selling point for anything, but at least we don't make american cars
September 9, 2011 2:37:10 AM

rickyclark said:
No, I don't think .Its good that they are from china.They have the best human minds and power.
That kind of negative thinking is why the U.S. is in the lousy financial condition we are today. Bring back American Jobs!
September 9, 2011 3:41:21 AM

Yeah, marv. He's no "Ricky Clark". Look at his English. He's probably Xin Xuan Huan. (Or something like that) LOL.
September 9, 2011 6:45:34 PM

Best Minds, I'd disagree with; but they do get things done when there's a need (or opportunity), you can already buy iPhone 5 clones (if you don't mind an iPhone that runs Android) LOL.

September 10, 2011 3:10:23 AM

Quote:
Sure, build 'em in America in a Southern right to work state. By the time you get a factory built the IBEW union will be screaming to Obama's NLRB that they are keeping union workers out of jobs. Unions will insist on paying $$22/hr for assemblers plus health benefits for life as well as a pension. This is why products are made in China, they don't have to put up with this BS!!!
Go to China if you don't like the U.S.! You would not last there a day.
September 10, 2011 3:52:23 AM

Virtually ALL products made in China SHOULD be made in America but they are not because by making products in China the CEO's of all the PC makers get even larger annual bonuses than their $5+ million salary, plus benefits, plus stock options, plus all they can steal.
September 10, 2011 3:58:15 AM

Quote:
Sure, build 'em in America in a Southern right to work state. By the time you get a factory built the IBEW union will be screaming to Obama's NLRB that they are keeping union workers out of jobs. Unions will insist on paying $$22/hr for assemblers plus health benefits for life as well as a pension. This is why products are made in China, they don't have to put up with this BS!!!

Perhaps you should work in a Chinese SWEATSHOP for a few years to get in touch with reality. The ONLY reason products are produced in China vs. the U.S. is due to corporate financial GREED. $5 million per year isn't enough compensation for some CEOs, they need $10M and with their greed goes U.S. jobs and thus the standard of living is lowered in the U.S.

You're right China doesn't have to pay fair wages, provide medical coverage or pensions and that's why I think you should move there to work as these benefits are completely unnecessary, right? Let me guess, you have a $10/hr. job flipping burgers and you resent employees that get paid a fair wage and benefits because you don't have the same?
September 10, 2011 5:50:11 AM

If you don't like the fact that Apple products aren't made in the US then don't buy them. Simple. It's down to the consumer in the end. You can't have cheap products and insist that they are locally produced.
September 10, 2011 7:28:01 AM

Ijack said:
If you don't like the fact that Apple products aren't made in the US then don't buy them. Simple. It's down to the consumer in the end. You can't have cheap products and insist that they are locally produced.

But you can have quality American produced products for a tiny but more than Chinese crap and that is why consumers should vote with their wallets.

U.S. CEOs get paid many times more than CEOs in comparable companies in other countries. It's pure financial greed. The way you fix the problem is by stop buying Chinese crap, place the same 500% import duty on Chinese crap as they place on U.S. goods and then reality will start to sink in at the executive level. No sales means no bonus and no job.
September 10, 2011 8:33:08 AM

That Chinese 'crap' is probably sitting in your computer as a motherboard, vid card, memory.
You have any idea what it takes to make a motherboard, etch the copper circuits?
EPA and OSHA have regulations so restricted in the US that it is simply impossible to manufacture a $200 MoBo.
Hell! Ya' can't even run a freakin' guitar factory in the U.S. without no neck, knuckledraggin', jackbooted thugs raiding your business. Yet the DOJ allows illegals to penrtrate our border.
This is the most corrupt administration in my 63 years
September 10, 2011 8:49:05 AM

Well, if we have to buy things made in USA or other developed country instead of China, we need to pay so much more and our money will be out of our pocket so fast, we will be as poor as the people in developing country.
September 10, 2011 10:22:18 AM

Funny debate, really. Does anybody who's posted on this thread realize that the moment you put tariff barriers on 'em, they'll ban the $hit out of Starbucks, Nike, Ford not to mention the hundreds of non consumer companies, that'll have disastrous cascading effects on the US economy.

Well, you can't have it both ways, guys. As long as free trade helped you, you liked it and spread the Gospel, preaching & making everyone conform by force (economic & military might). Now that it's coming back to pinch you where it hurts, you of course hate it.

And to think when we were raising our voice against the ills of free trade, WE were being accused of not being patriotic enough by not allowing American companies to grow, thereby stifling economic growth!

Now of course, we've got biga$$ American companies, who don't care 'bout Americans.

Funny, how things come full circle :D  . Enjoy your Reganist open door economy, guys. Good luck.
September 10, 2011 11:03:24 AM

Quote:

Yours is my "thought of the day". What a human, what a mind-blowing brilliance...
September 11, 2011 2:36:13 AM

beenthere said:
But you can have quality American produced products for a tiny but more than Chinese crap and that is why consumers should vote with their wallets.

U.S. CEOs get paid many times more than CEOs in comparable companies in other countries. It's pure financial greed. The way you fix the problem is by stop buying Chinese crap, place the same 500% import duty on Chinese crap as they place on U.S. goods and then reality will start to sink in at the executive level. No sales means no bonus and no job.
Excellent answer.Put more tariffs on Chinese goods.
September 11, 2011 3:01:15 AM

calguyhunk said:
Funny debate, really. Does anybody who's posted on this thread realize that the moment you put tariff barriers on 'em, they'll ban the $hit out of Starbucks, Nike, Ford not to mention the hundreds of non consumer companies, that'll have disastrous cascading effects on the US economy.

Well, you can't have it both ways, guys. As long as free trade helped you, you liked it and spread the Gospel, preaching & making everyone conform by force (economic & military might). Now that it's coming back to pinch you where it hurts, you of course hate it.

And to think when we were raising our voice against the ills of free trade, WE were being accused of not being patriotic enough by not allowing American companies to grow, thereby stifling economic growth!

Now of course, we've got biga$$ American companies, who don't care 'bout Americans.

Funny, how things come full circle :D  . Enjoy your Reganist open door economy, guys. Good luck.

Actually China not only currently charges excessive tariffs on U.S. imports they won't allow U.S. car makers to build plants in China, they must buy into existing Chinese car makers.

Most products that the U.S. imports from China were once made in the U.S. or can be made in the U.S. with better quality and at a marginally higher cost.

Until consumers vote with their wallets they will continue to be exploited by big business.
September 13, 2011 12:29:32 AM

musical marv said:
Personally speaking do you think Apple products should be manufactured in the U.S.A.?

If it added more than $20 to the cost the consumer had to pay? No. I'll pay an additional $20 to get the same or superior quality built in the U.S.A. ...but that's about it.
September 13, 2011 12:32:37 AM

Ijack said:

Amen.
September 13, 2011 1:27:35 AM

Marv, matter of fact, I am a Republican and make no apoligies for it. I also realize that one can't get a computer made in the U.S.A. Matter of fact, last time I called Intel about an OS problem, I was talking to a guy from India.
Typical left wing argument, "if you don't like it here, move over there".
I was born here and like it here. Maybe if the union left hadn't screwed the pooch for so long and the leftist gov't. hadn't grown into the huge bureaucracy that it has become, maybe Americans of ALL earnings demographics could buy American goods. There will always be poor people and there will always be rich people. But I will accept my lot in life, for which I am responsible, and not worry about the millionaires. BTW, last guy I worked for was a millionaire.
September 13, 2011 1:56:13 AM

i can solve the problem, dont make apple products at all! the world would be a better place.
September 13, 2011 2:30:26 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
Marv, matter of fact, I am a Republican and make no apoligies for it. I also realize that one can't get a computer made in the U.S.A. Matter of fact, last time I called Intel about an OS problem, I was talking to a guy from India.
Typical left wing argument, "if you don't like it here, move over there".
I was born here and like it here. Maybe if the union left hadn't screwed the pooch for so long and the leftist gov't. hadn't grown into the huge bureaucracy that it has become, maybe Americans of ALL earnings demographics could buy American goods. There will always be poor people and there will always be rich people. But I will accept my lot in life, for which I am responsible, and not worry about the millionaires. BTW, last guy I worked for was a millionaire.
I do not want to get into politics with you.Let us face it the GOP Party will always be for the rich and huge corporations and banks. I presume you favor Michael Savage.
September 13, 2011 4:21:42 AM

As long as people support bad fiscal policy the rich will get richer and the middle class will pay for it all. Buffet was right - tax ALL of the rich so that they pay their fair share and don't give tax breaks to industries that have monopolies like the oil companies who price gouge consumers.
September 13, 2011 7:04:18 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
i can solve the problem, dont make apple products at all! the world would be a better place.
ROFLMFAO :lol: 
September 14, 2011 2:49:08 AM

beenthere said:
As long as people support bad fiscal policy the rich will get richer and the middle class will pay for it all. Buffet was right - tax ALL of the rich so that they pay their fair share and don't give tax breaks to industries that have monopolies like the oil companies who price gouge consumers.
I agree withyou 100%.You are right.
November 15, 2011 3:59:05 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
That Chinese 'crap' is probably sitting in your computer as a motherboard, vid card, memory.
You have any idea what it takes to make a motherboard, etch the copper circuits?
EPA and OSHA have regulations so restricted in the US that it is simply impossible to manufacture a $200 MoBo.
Hell! Ya' can't even run a freakin' guitar factory in the U.S. without no neck, knuckledraggin', jackbooted thugs raiding your business. Yet the DOJ allows illegals to penrtrate our border.
This is the most corrupt administration in my 63 years

Sounds like a lot of right wing spin. Regulations have little to do with the price of manufacturing. One factor that drives up the price is the cost of health care due to the monopoly of the health insurance industry. American's also have a higher standard of living and demand more pay so that they can "live the American dream." Also, China has a tendency to fix its currency.

There are plenty of US made guitars: Fender, Gibson, Carvin, Taylor, etc., etc.

The Nixon administration? Now that was corruption. My guess is that you do not like democrats.
November 16, 2011 1:00:07 AM

Yoder54 said:
Sounds like a lot of right wing spin. Regulations have little to do with the price of manufacturing. One factor that drives up the price is the cost of health care due to the monopoly of the health insurance industry. American's also have a higher standard of living and demand more pay so that they can "live the American dream." Also, China has a tendency to fix its currency.

There are plenty of US made guitars: Fender, Gibson, Carvin, Taylor, etc., etc.

The Nixon administration? Now that was corruption. My guess is that you do not like democrats.
you are right another right winger blaming Liberals all the time.
November 19, 2011 7:11:23 PM

Funny that you like Apple so much Marv, yet you complain about "price-gouging" of American companies. Considering the fact that Apple uses ChineseSweatShopLabourTM to assemble their products, you'd think they could afford to charge a little less for Intel's previous generation hardware.

I don't have a problem with unions demanding fair wages for their employees. I do have a problem with people demanding $20+ dollars a hour for unskilled labour. If a monkey could do your job, then you shouldn't expect to make a lot more than minimum wage.
November 19, 2011 10:00:54 PM

Zoron said:
Considering the fact that Apple uses ChineseSweatShopLabourTM to assemble their products, you'd think they could afford to charge a little less for Intel's previous generation hardware.

I don't have a problem with unions demanding fair wages for their employees. I do have a problem with people demanding $20+ dollars a hour for unskilled labour. If a monkey could do your job, then you shouldn't expect to make a lot more than minimum wage.

In reality, Apple and many other American firms are cleaning up their act in China. You are misleading in saying that Apple is selling last generation hardware in their products. Most of Apple's consumer products have i5 or i7 CPUs, and if you want Xeon then you can go with Westmere.

Regarding labor, i would love to see a monkey put a computer together. In fact, your statement does not say much about the typical Tom's user. If an adult is working full time, regardless of the job, then he/she will need to make at least $15 and hour to pay for the bare essentials. Health, car, and house insurance is not cheap. Nor is food, rent, utilities, etc. The minimum wage is good for hs students living at home, but that is about it.
November 19, 2011 10:30:28 PM

Sure beats the dole ;) 

I'm on min wage and I'm a graphic designer. Some on internships don't get paid.

Hurray world?
November 20, 2011 1:35:28 AM

To be honest, having the factories in China or America doesn't signifigantly change the quality of the product.

The differences are just mainly social. You're employing unskilled workers to work at state-of-the-art facilities to produce your Apple gear. Apple's products are designed in California and Chinese workers simply make them. The argument that Chinese products are shoddy do apply to cheap household goods, it simply does not and cannot apply to high-tech manufacturing industry.

Companies like HP make only a small margin on the sale of a PC. Having one fail would mean that the company makes a loss. Having too many machines fail would seriously imapct the viability of building PCs in China. On the flip-side, if Chinese workers made shoddy Apple products which broke easily, Apple's brand lustre would be tarnished.

If China can't produce high-quality computers, nobody would put their production plants there. While 100000 consumers might not care if their $1 alarm clock from China breaks, if 100000 of their new $999 Macbook Air breaks from component malfunction, Apple is going to have a PR nightmare.

The differences are entirely social. If Apple was in America, it would create employment, increase production costs but be more environmentally and socially benefitial thanks to environment and labour laws in America being tighter than China.
November 27, 2011 3:26:46 PM

Yoder54 said:
In reality, Apple and many other American firms are cleaning up their act in China. You are misleading in saying that Apple is selling last generation hardware in their products. Most of Apple's consumer products have i5 or i7 CPUs, and if you want Xeon then you can go with Westmere.

Regarding labor, i would love to see a monkey put a computer together. In fact, your statement does not say much about the typical Tom's user. If an adult is working full time, regardless of the job, then he/she will need to make at least $15 and hour to pay for the bare essentials. Health, car, and house insurance is not cheap. Nor is food, rent, utilities, etc. The minimum wage is good for hs students living at home, but that is about it.

Putting together a computer could be considered skilled labour... if you noticed, I said UNSKILLED labour. Don't make assumptions and don't put words in my mouth. It amazes me that positions require no or minimal skill can be paid so much more than minimum wage. Oh and by the way, inserting card B into slot A doesn't require skill... if you only need to be shown something once or twice before you start doing it, then it definitely doesn't require a lot of skill.

I agree with AMDFanGirl. Companies send manufacturing jobs to China because it's cheaper... it doesn't necessarily affect the quality of the product; but it certainly does affect the price and profitability.
November 27, 2011 7:12:42 PM

Zoron said:
Putting together a computer could be considered skilled labour... if you noticed, I said UNSKILLED labour. Don't make assumptions and don't put words in my mouth. It amazes me that positions require no or minimal skill can be paid so much more than minimum wage. Oh and by the way, inserting card B into slot A doesn't require skill... if you only need to be shown something once or twice before you start doing it, then it definitely doesn't require a lot of skill.

I agree with AMDFanGirl. Companies send manufacturing jobs to China because it's cheaper... it doesn't necessarily affect the quality of the product; but it certainly does affect the price and profitability.

My assumptions are based on the logic of your words. You said: "I do have a problem with people demanding $20+ dollars a hour for unskilled labour. If a monkey could do your job, then you shouldn't expect to make a lot more than minimum wage." The implication is that a monkey can perform unskilled labor jobs. Circuit board assembly is considered "unskilled labor," Read about it here. Other "unskilled labor jobs" are: truck drivers, fork lift operators, long shoreman, etc. How are people in these trades expected to support themselves or families based on your ideology?

The quality of Chinese products are crap. Pure crap. The only way you can insure high quality clothes from China is to ship USA made material over there. A Chinese made Fender will not stand up to an American made Fender. Chinese food is only a step above poison. The quality of Chinese goods sucks, but then there is the big question...why is it so much cheaper to produce goods in China? Maybe because the government fixes the value of it's currency.
November 28, 2011 12:17:14 AM

Nothing good will come from the continued discussion of the thread.
!