Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Anyone Connected Moto v120c to Notebook PC via USB?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 26, 2004 4:10:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Trying to connect Moto v120c cell phone to Notebook PC running Windows
98SE via USB so PC dials through cell to connect to Verizon #777
Internet access.

Have not been able to get PC to "see" the Moto cell connected via
cable assy. to USB. Partial success once but then PC wanted to install
Motorola v120c "driver" but could not fins in any software (have tried
various Motorola software including: TrueSync, True Sync Plus,TrueSync
Upgrade) containing any such driver.

Has anyone accomplished this; if so, please advise how you did it?

Thanks.


John
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 4:10:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"John" <aljon@no-spam_att.net> wrote in message
news:qqko80lpq8v02vsg4i4tjt7nhbb9qg19mp@4ax.com
> Trying to connect Moto v120c cell phone to Notebook PC running Windows
> 98SE via USB so PC dials through cell to connect to Verizon #777
> Internet access.
>
> Have not been able to get PC to "see" the Moto cell connected via
> cable assy. to USB. Partial success once but then PC wanted to install
> Motorola v120c "driver" but could not fins in any software (have tried
> various Motorola software including: TrueSync, True Sync Plus,TrueSync
> Upgrade) containing any such driver.
>
> Has anyone accomplished this; if so, please advise how you did it?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> John

98SE doesn't usually support the type of USB the phones do. It mainly sees
serial ports. There is a seperate program that converts the USB ports to
look like Com ports. See if you have that or what may be even easier, see if
you can set the phone to Serial/RS 232 at 115kb
April 26, 2004 4:10:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In my case when connecting my
phone via USB I had to discover
several things the hard way. My
Windows has a built-in converter
which converts USB to serial when
something is plugged into the USB
port. If your phone software has
previously been installed so that
it shows up under modems, then
it will have a com port assigned.
When I plug my phone cable into
the usb port the USB to serial
changer comes in and also assigns
a com port number. This must
be the same as the port that was
assigned when the phone software
was installed under modems or
nothing will work. If I leave my
phone USB cable plugged into
the USB port then the USB to serial
converter does not disappear and
the ports remain the same . Luck
Related resources
April 26, 2004 4:32:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Peter Pan and Gator,

I guess I'm a bit confused regarding your answer. Is this USB/Serial
converter program in the computer (part of Windows98SE)? Is it
something I can manipulate (change)?

But in another note from Gatror, this same converter was indicated to
be built-in Windows. I can "see" three COM ports: COM 1 is the
external connector, COM 2 seems to be the built-in phone modem and not
sure what COM 3 is; perhaps it is the USB/COM conversion you both
discussed. Wonder how this works when I plug my two-ScanDisk
Mini-Cruzer USB "hard disks" into the USB port (use a 4-port converter
only for the mini-Cruzers - plug the phone in as a single input
device)

I think perhaps from what you describe PP, since I did dial the Moto
v120c using Windows Dial-up Networking through a serial to phone cable
assy. (CA) plus there is a built-in modem in this IBM ThinkPad 600x,
the potential use of anything using the USB port will be tough to
configure.

I was never able to get the phone to go "higher" (of course I'm only
using Verizon VZ Internet access through #777) than 19.2 kB. I had
hoped to get higher transfer rate using the USB (there is a "charge"
feature in the USB/phone CA, too) CA.

I spent a great deal of time discussing the situation with Moto
Customer Software Support group (BTW, the gal was located in Argentina
- talk about outsourcing!) who recommended the TrueSync upgrade
program (I have just about all of the various Moto supplied software
but none have worked) but seemed as frustrated as I when it didn't
dial.

Thanks for your inputs.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.


John


On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:50:31 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:

>"John" <aljon@no-spam_att.net> wrote in message
>news:qqko80lpq8v02vsg4i4tjt7nhbb9qg19mp@4ax.com
>> Trying to connect Moto v120c cell phone to Notebook PC running Windows
>> 98SE via USB so PC dials through cell to connect to Verizon #777
>> Internet access.
>>
>> Have not been able to get PC to "see" the Moto cell connected via
>> cable assy. to USB. Partial success once but then PC wanted to install
>> Motorola v120c "driver" but could not fins in any software (have tried
>> various Motorola software including: TrueSync, True Sync Plus,TrueSync
>> Upgrade) containing any such driver.
>>
>> Has anyone accomplished this; if so, please advise how you did it?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>> John
>
>98SE doesn't usually support the type of USB the phones do. It mainly sees
>serial ports. There is a seperate program that converts the USB ports to
>look like Com ports. See if you have that or what may be even easier, see if
>you can set the phone to Serial/RS 232 at 115kb
>
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 4:32:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

From your previous post, you had said you had windows 98SE. The first
edition of win98 did not have usb support at all. The second edition (SE)
has minimal support, but at that time there was only USB 1.0 (slow and
limited, newer windows supports 2.0). The original com ports were com1 thru
com4. USB is totally separate from COM. In that version of windows, there is
no conversion from USB to serial. As I recall from G's post, he was talking
about Windows ME, that is TOTALLY different from Win98SE.

You probably have software that came with your hub that translates the USB
stuff to com3 (probably, I'm guessing from what you wrote). It may/may not
work for whatever software you have for the cellphone.

If I may make a suggestion, before anything else, upgrade to Windows XP!
Win98SE is about 7 years old, obsolete, and free support for it has been
dropped, and even paid support from the manufacturer will end soon.

On to your HUB. What version of USB does it support? One of the things that
was changed between USB 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 is the max speed of the
connection.
Many older hubs (usb 1.0 oriented) have a max rate of 230KB, but that speed
is limited to a max of 115KB per device so one device can't have all the
bandwidth and lock other devices out.

Does your cell phone account support 1X-Minutes of use? (I say 1X cause it
was Express network, then NationalAccess, but either is 1X, and 1X is a
whole lot easier to type). While the phone may, it does no good unless your
account does also.

Now, silly question, you used a serial cable and it worked fine, why do you
even want to mess with USB?




"John" <aljon@no-spam_att.net> wrote in message
news:qgvp80lrd7htd5h80s2hl5i4rfmq3gml08@4ax.com
> Peter Pan and Gator,
>
> I guess I'm a bit confused regarding your answer. Is this USB/Serial
> converter program in the computer (part of Windows98SE)? Is it
> something I can manipulate (change)?
>
> But in another note from Gatror, this same converter was indicated to
> be built-in Windows. I can "see" three COM ports: COM 1 is the
> external connector, COM 2 seems to be the built-in phone modem and not
> sure what COM 3 is; perhaps it is the USB/COM conversion you both
> discussed. Wonder how this works when I plug my two-ScanDisk
> Mini-Cruzer USB "hard disks" into the USB port (use a 4-port converter
> only for the mini-Cruzers - plug the phone in as a single input
> device)
>
> I think perhaps from what you describe PP, since I did dial the Moto
> v120c using Windows Dial-up Networking through a serial to phone cable
> assy. (CA) plus there is a built-in modem in this IBM ThinkPad 600x,
> the potential use of anything using the USB port will be tough to
> configure.
>
> I was never able to get the phone to go "higher" (of course I'm only
> using Verizon VZ Internet access through #777) than 19.2 kB. I had
> hoped to get higher transfer rate using the USB (there is a "charge"
> feature in the USB/phone CA, too) CA.
>
> I spent a great deal of time discussing the situation with Moto
> Customer Software Support group (BTW, the gal was located in Argentina
> - talk about outsourcing!) who recommended the TrueSync upgrade
> program (I have just about all of the various Moto supplied software
> but none have worked) but seemed as frustrated as I when it didn't
> dial.
>
> Thanks for your inputs.
>
> Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>
> John
>
>
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:50:31 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "John" <aljon@no-spam_att.net> wrote in message
>> news:qqko80lpq8v02vsg4i4tjt7nhbb9qg19mp@4ax.com
>>> Trying to connect Moto v120c cell phone to Notebook PC running
>>> Windows 98SE via USB so PC dials through cell to connect to Verizon
>>> #777 Internet access.
>>>
>>> Have not been able to get PC to "see" the Moto cell connected via
>>> cable assy. to USB. Partial success once but then PC wanted to
>>> install Motorola v120c "driver" but could not fins in any software
>>> (have tried various Motorola software including: TrueSync, True
>>> Sync Plus,TrueSync Upgrade) containing any such driver.
>>>
>>> Has anyone accomplished this; if so, please advise how you did it?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> 98SE doesn't usually support the type of USB the phones do. It
>> mainly sees serial ports. There is a seperate program that converts
>> the USB ports to look like Com ports. See if you have that or what
>> may be even easier, see if you can set the phone to Serial/RS 232 at
>> 115kb
April 26, 2004 4:48:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Please see my previous note to PDA Man.

John


On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:21:09 -0700, "Gator" <gator2@webmail.co.za>
wrote:

>
>In my case when connecting my
>phone via USB I had to discover
>several things the hard way. My
>Windows has a built-in converter
>which converts USB to serial when
>something is plugged into the USB
>port. If your phone software has
>previously been installed so that
>it shows up under modems, then
>it will have a com port assigned.
>When I plug my phone cable into
>the usb port the USB to serial
>changer comes in and also assigns
>a com port number. This must
>be the same as the port that was
>assigned when the phone software
>was installed under modems or
>nothing will work. If I leave my
>phone USB cable plugged into
>the USB port then the USB to serial
>converter does not disappear and
>the ports remain the same . Luck
>
April 26, 2004 8:57:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Let me respond to your note below each of the paragraphs:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 06:57:08 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:

>From your previous post, you had said you had windows 98SE. The first
>edition of win98 did not have usb support at all. The second edition (SE)
>has minimal support, but at that time there was only USB 1.0 (slow and
>limited, newer windows supports 2.0). The original com ports were com1 thru
>com4. USB is totally separate from COM. In that version of windows, there is
>no conversion from USB to serial. As I recall from G's post, he was talking
>about Windows ME, that is TOTALLY different from Win98SE.

Response:
Yep, I use Windows 98SE with some additional software driver which
seems to increase the usefulness of the USB port.

>
>You probably have software that came with your hub that translates the USB
>stuff to com3 (probably, I'm guessing from what you wrote). It may/may not
>work for whatever software you have for the cellphone.

Response:
When I use the v120c (or try to!) I disconnect the 4-port hub and plug
the USB/phone data cable assy. into the single computer USB port.

>
>If I may make a suggestion, before anything else, upgrade to Windows XP!
>Win98SE is about 7 years old, obsolete, and free support for it has been
>dropped, and even paid support from the manufacturer will end soon.

Response:
Call me old fashioned or what ever. I do some consulting in data and
have found from experience that Win98SE is probably the most stable OS
that MS developed. I have seen all sorts of strange quirks in others
especially XP where I observed one person's computer completely re-set
itself back into basic XP OS when "it" thought it found a computer
virus. We had to re-load every bit of software (other than XP) back on
the machine. I really don't like a computer that controls all - I
would like a little input into what it does!

>
>On to your HUB. What version of USB does it support? One of the things that
>was changed between USB 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 is the max speed of the
>connection.

Response:
Since I don't use the hub when phone connected this doesn't count.
However, I believe it (it is an "inactive: hub which requires external
DC to operate anything connected) is a 1.0 version.

>Many older hubs (usb 1.0 oriented) have a max rate of 230KB, but that speed
>is limited to a max of 115KB per device so one device can't have all the
>bandwidth and lock other devices out.

Response:
What ever the throughput for ver 1.0 is it.

>
>Does your cell phone account support 1X-Minutes of use? (I say 1X cause it
>was Express network, then NationalAccess, but either is 1X, and 1X is a
>whole lot easier to type). While the phone may, it does no good unless your
>account does also.

Response:
Right now I am only interested in using the cable assy (got a real
deal on a close out sale) so I can charge the phone (via the USB
power) while I use it on Verizon INternet access via #777. Of course
this is a real slow speed connection but it works from where we have a
summer camp so I can (slowly) access my email via a browser connect
rather than an email client. But I can stay in touch. I really can't
justify the expense of the higher speed Verizon data connections as I
have high-speed cable connection at my home office and I really don't
travel out-of-town that much!

>
>Now, silly question, you used a serial cable and it worked fine, why do you
>even want to mess with USB?

Response:
See above for reasonoing.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll keep on "playing" with the drivers, etc.
until I get a combination which works.


John

>
>
>
>
>"John" <aljon@no-spam_att.net> wrote in message
>news:qgvp80lrd7htd5h80s2hl5i4rfmq3gml08@4ax.com
>> Peter Pan and Gator,
>>
>> I guess I'm a bit confused regarding your answer. Is this USB/Serial
>> converter program in the computer (part of Windows98SE)? Is it
>> something I can manipulate (change)?
>>
>> But in another note from Gatror, this same converter was indicated to
>> be built-in Windows. I can "see" three COM ports: COM 1 is the
>> external connector, COM 2 seems to be the built-in phone modem and not
>> sure what COM 3 is; perhaps it is the USB/COM conversion you both
>> discussed. Wonder how this works when I plug my two-ScanDisk
>> Mini-Cruzer USB "hard disks" into the USB port (use a 4-port converter
>> only for the mini-Cruzers - plug the phone in as a single input
>> device)
>>
>> I think perhaps from what you describe PP, since I did dial the Moto
>> v120c using Windows Dial-up Networking through a serial to phone cable
>> assy. (CA) plus there is a built-in modem in this IBM ThinkPad 600x,
>> the potential use of anything using the USB port will be tough to
>> configure.
>>
>> I was never able to get the phone to go "higher" (of course I'm only
>> using Verizon VZ Internet access through #777) than 19.2 kB. I had
>> hoped to get higher transfer rate using the USB (there is a "charge"
>> feature in the USB/phone CA, too) CA.
>>
>> I spent a great deal of time discussing the situation with Moto
>> Customer Software Support group (BTW, the gal was located in Argentina
>> - talk about outsourcing!) who recommended the TrueSync upgrade
>> program (I have just about all of the various Moto supplied software
>> but none have worked) but seemed as frustrated as I when it didn't
>> dial.
>>
>> Thanks for your inputs.
>>
>> Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>>
>> John
>>
>>
>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:50:31 -0700, "Peter Pan"
>> <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "John" <aljon@no-spam_att.net> wrote in message
>>> news:qqko80lpq8v02vsg4i4tjt7nhbb9qg19mp@4ax.com
>>>> Trying to connect Moto v120c cell phone to Notebook PC running
>>>> Windows 98SE via USB so PC dials through cell to connect to Verizon
>>>> #777 Internet access.
>>>>
>>>> Have not been able to get PC to "see" the Moto cell connected via
>>>> cable assy. to USB. Partial success once but then PC wanted to
>>>> install Motorola v120c "driver" but could not fins in any software
>>>> (have tried various Motorola software including: TrueSync, True
>>>> Sync Plus,TrueSync Upgrade) containing any such driver.
>>>>
>>>> Has anyone accomplished this; if so, please advise how you did it?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> John
>>>
>>> 98SE doesn't usually support the type of USB the phones do. It
>>> mainly sees serial ports. There is a seperate program that converts
>>> the USB ports to look like Com ports. See if you have that or what
>>> may be even easier, see if you can set the phone to Serial/RS 232 at
>>> 115kb
>
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 8:57:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"John" <aljon@no-spam_att.net> wrote in message
news:2seq805ge04pru8e88a8n9ce209vukloao@4ax.com
> Response:
> Right now I am only interested in using the cable assy (got a real
> deal on a close out sale) so I can charge the phone (via the USB
> power) while I use it on Verizon INternet access via #777. Of course
> this is a real slow speed connection but it works from where we have a
> summer camp so I can (slowly) access my email via a browser connect
> rather than an email client. But I can stay in touch. I really can't
> justify the expense of the higher speed Verizon data connections as I
> have high-speed cable connection at my home office and I really don't
> travel out-of-town that much!
>

Are you planning to connect and charge at the same time? When calling out,
more power is used than most cables can put in. If just charging but not
calling, no problem, just wanted to be sure you knew you can't actually call
and charge at the same time. Probably not a biggie, but I found out the hard
way when connected for a long time on free weekends, my phone actually lost
power when I was connected for a long time (I was downloading) and
disconnected.



As an alternative for any lurkers out there reading this that have
non-charging cables, it's the same for using most chargers and cables at the
same time. On many phones the connector on the phone and the charging plug
can't plug in at the same time, they are too close to each other. A
cheap/free trick, If you have a piece of sandpaper handy, sand down the
plastic so both can be plugged in (but not actually used) at the same time.
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 8:57:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"John" <aljon@no-spam_att.net> wrote in message
news:2seq805ge04pru8e88a8n9ce209vukloao@4ax.com
> Let me respond to your note below each of the paragraphs:
>
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 06:57:08 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> From your previous post, you had said you had windows 98SE. The first
>> edition of win98 did not have usb support at all. The second edition
>> (SE) has minimal support, but at that time there was only USB 1.0
>> (slow and limited, newer windows supports 2.0). The original com
>> ports were com1 thru com4. USB is totally separate from COM. In that
>> version of windows, there is no conversion from USB to serial. As I
>> recall from G's post, he was talking about Windows ME, that is
>> TOTALLY different from Win98SE.
>
> Response:
> Yep, I use Windows 98SE with some additional software driver which
> seems to increase the usefulness of the USB port.
>
I'll do the same (respond by paragraphs), but have to get some work done
and can only squeeze in one reply at a time.

At to the hub with it's software, and replacing it with the phone USB cable,
any chance it might be a problem with the software from the hub (i've seen
software that ignores any data from a device other than what it was written
for).

Another thought (and i don't know where/which menu it is on your phone), on
many you can get into settings, and the settings for the conection are USB
or RS232. I think the older Motos default to RS232 (newer ones to USB), if
your phone worked on serial (RS232), but not on USB, it could be that also.
!