Sign in with
Your question

games for win98 (XP won't run) / modern times compatibility

Last response: in Video Games
September 8, 2006 11:39:32 AM

Ok, don't laugh... :oops: 
i'm trying to built a system for gaming and it will be dual boot: Win98se and XP Pro. The primary concern is to be able to run games that are for win98 and won't run under XP. :wink:

I think i will go with socket 754 (amd) since those motherboards have drivers that support win98.
I tried to find a compatible mobo for socket 939 but no luck (plus most are pci-e, and pci-e cards don't have win98 drivers - unless i'm wrong?)

So, the question is , what Graphics card?: I can use the 4ti series, or the FX 5xxxx, but i would really want to use the gf 6 or even 7 series.

After researching the driver archives on nvidia's site, it seems that the 6 series cards DO HAVE drivers that are for win98 :D  !
That means that i can use them, right? (an 6200agp or an 6600agp hopefully!)

But what about the 7 series? their drivers don't seem to support win98 :cry: 

Anyway, can someone verify that the geforce 6 series can indeed be used under win98??
Are there any specific versions/ models that can not?
Can i just buy ANY gf6 agp model?

i can live without the gf7 series, in that case! :wink:

Thanks everyone for any help!
September 13, 2006 12:12:25 AM

I fear that your system is going to run newer games quite poorly.

I'd consider building a nice new machine for new games and building a heap of sh*t for 98 and the old ones. Use a KVM switch to switch between 'em.

The kind of games that are 98 only will be very old and should run on a system that you could assemble from left-overs / second hand parts for a pittance.

Which games were you planning on playing? Some "98-only" ames can be made to work under XP.
September 13, 2006 8:01:50 AM

Why would it run games poorly????
Remember, it will be dual boot, so newer games will be run under XP.
Plus the card will probably be a 6600GT.

So what would be wrong with such a machine????
September 13, 2006 11:18:44 AM

Quote:
Why would it run games poorly????
Remember, it will be dual boot, so newer games will be run under XP.
Plus the card will probably be a 6600GT.

So what would be wrong with such a machine????

A 6600GT isn't exactly cutting edge. And a socket 754 board limits your processor - I think the fastest s754 Athlon was a 3500? You won't be able to upgrade to a faster processor or dual core, etc without changing motherboard and RAM at a later date.

The computer will be ok for current games, and as long as you don't plan to ever upgrade it, you'll probably be satisfied. Just don't expect to play Oblivion on highest settings and expect any graphics-intensive new releases to cause it to struggle.
September 13, 2006 1:13:19 PM

Agreed I have gotten a few to work.
However usually after hours of editing files etc...
I'd love to play war inc and Imp2 and Fallen Haven.
I've been able to get most games to play but had to do different things.
I would also suggest to turn whatever machine you have into a 98 machine.
Then build a new one for games.
Not even bother with a KVM switch.
Either set it up somewhere else(for kiddies etc).
Or just switch it manually.... unless you'll have it on that often/plan on using it but I found I rarely play old games.
When I do though I"ll play them for days at a time.
I need an IMPII binge....
!