Audiovox CDM8900 Data

Hi,

I just bought myself an Audiovox CDM8900 phone and wish to connect my
laptop to the internet through it. I looked for a cable from verizon
wireless they only have one for the CDM8900 but not the CDM8900.
Audiovox sells a cable with software yet they don't mention anything
about internet connectivity.

Is the phone capable of connecting to the internet, and if so will the
cable and software that audiovox sells allow me to connect to the
internet? I talked to the sales guy at verizon and he said I would
need a cable and I would be charged per minute.

Has anyone tried this kind of stuff with this exact model?

Nite Rider

Nite Rider wrote:
> I looked for a cable from verizon
> wireless they only have one for the CDM8900 but not the CDM8900.

You probably mean "the CDM8600 but not the CDM8900".

The CDM8900 and the LG VX6000 use identical cables for connecting
the base of the phone (even for charging cables). This is due to
them sharing the same circuit board. Consequently you can buy any
VX6000 cable as well. The internal software is different so that
won't help.

> Is the phone capable of connecting to the internet,

Almost all the phones allow you to (does anyone know of any that
don't?) They do so by emulating a modem and ppp session.

> and if so will the
> cable and software that audiovox sells allow me to connect to the
> internet?

In general any cable will do the trick and the software is just
a glorified wrapper around the modem stuff already builtin to
Windows. You can manually add the modem and configure the
connection. This is an example of the instructions and apply
to all the phones that support it:

http://www.rogerbinns.com/vx4400/vx4400faq.html#modem-connecting

> I talked to the sales guy at verizon and he said I would
> need a cable and I would be charged per minute.

Read the archives for this group. That question and answer come
up weekly if not more often.

Roger